Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:43 am
Posts: 24
Location: Fenwick, ON, CA
So I'm sitting here diggin' the sound from my humble setup wondering about others with the same deal going on. I am listening to a Marantz 2220b driving a pair of Rogers LS1. Thorens Td160/Linn K9 or Airport express/airplay. Smooth, tuneful, happy. Sheer pleasure.

Share your experiences with stuff that plays well with others. Planned or otherwise, we all have knowledge of what works well together. Give it up!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 am
Posts: 17
Location: Maple, ON, CA
You've got a great setup! I was looking at the Thorens TD 160 turntables when I was looking to upgrade. Wonderful TT's. I ended up going with a Pro Ject Debut iii.... simply because I couldn't pass up on the price.

My setup includes the Pro Ject Debut,a NAD 314 amp and a pair of PSB century 800i speakers. I've only had it for a couple of days but am extremely happy with every component. The speakers compliment the amp so well it's insane. I've been enjoying music so much in the last two days. Hearing details I never heard before and having a blast!

All smiles over here :D

Cheers


Last edited by Deegz on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 4399
Location: Surrey , BC, CA
tell me about syergy! My jaw just dropped when I connected the Symmetry ACS 1 crossover to my old and trusty Dennesen JC 80 preamplifier....both designed by John Curl.....my speakers never played more seamless and free.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Well guys...if we're talking synergy I recently pulled the trigger on a Halo P3 preamp to compliment my two Parasound HCA 1000 amps-125/side and the result was worth every cent.
I upraded my speakers to a pair of Castle Harlech floor standers and everything together is like sex and chocolate..

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 am
Posts: 1403
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
stc_508 wrote:
So I'm sitting here diggin' the sound from my humble setup wondering about others with the same deal going on. I am listening to a Marantz 2220b driving a pair of Rogers LS1. Thorens Td160/Linn K9 or Airport express/airplay. Smooth, tuneful, happy. Sheer pleasure.

Share your experiences with stuff that plays well with others. Planned or otherwise, we all have knowledge of what works well together. Give it up!

......thanks for sharing,that 2220b is a sweet little receiver.

This one is in the otherwise group.....got caught in a major redecorating project by my wife.To stay on the air,cobbled a system from odds & ends that were available in a temporary storage/holding area.A NAD 565 cdp,DenonDRA 565RD and Minimus-12 metal bookshelf speakers .
Some EQ software + a little patience and we ended up with this setup.....it floats a 3D effortless soundstage.The decorating has long since been finished ,and I am fast running out of lame excuses for not cleaning up the mess.
Attachment:
DSC00739.JPG
DSC00739.JPG [ 248.67 KiB | Viewed 3483 times ]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 73
Location: Rose dale, BC, CA
Synergy is most important,have heard expensive systems that did not jive,and lesser systems that did.
One very important part of synergy I learned is the cables,if they don't have synergy your system will suffer.
After mixing cables for years not thinking much about them,concentrateing on gear synergy only I discovered buy reading that I should try and build all my own cables.
So studied cable making designs,used same material and technic to make all cables.After burning them in the s.q. took a large leap forward.
So there you have it,something maybe not considered that has a very big impact in the multi link audio chain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 1146
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Deegz wrote:
You've got a great setup! I was looking at the Thorens TD 160 turntables when I was looking to upgrade. Wonderful TT's. I ended up going with a Pro Ject Debut iii.... simply because I couldn't pass up on the price.

My setup includes the Pro Ject Debut,a NAD 314 amp and a pair of PSB century 800i speakers. I've only had it for a couple of days but am extremely happy with every component. The speakers compliment the amp so well it's insane. I've been enjoying music so much in the last two days. Hearing details I never heard before and having a blast!

All smiles over here :D

Cheers


NAD and PSB equipment has always paired lovely for me! The 800is are the speakers I use in my bedroom system and they're just perfect, relatively easy to drive, dumb amounts of bass, and relatively indestructible (my dog has pushed in the woofers more times than I can count, grab a vacuum and they're good as new. Oh and my friend accidentally dropped one down the stairs, speaker was great, the wall, not so much).

I also really like PSB and Bryston stuff. I know I'm probably biased by using mostly Canadian gear but the performance is consistently better than competition and the price on the used market is excellent.

Also Bryston Pre into cheaper older NAD power amps can be great.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:01 pm
Posts: 1524
Location: Smalltown, ON, CA
Synergy..................... that's when you get lucky, instead of understanding the principles behind what you're trying to accomplish...... ex http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=42425

_________________
Some people like the taste of smokey whiskey, others think that tea's too strong!!
Even if you've tried it, consider the six blind men describing the elephant before offering your opinion!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
What if im trying to get lucky and i do understand the principles. Is that going to work better?

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:01 pm
Posts: 1524
Location: Smalltown, ON, CA
Quote:
What if im trying to get lucky and i do understand the principles. Is that going to work better?


That's wishful thinking........... even if you bring wine!

_________________
Some people like the taste of smokey whiskey, others think that tea's too strong!!
Even if you've tried it, consider the six blind men describing the elephant before offering your opinion!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 1469
Location: London, ON, CA
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Well guys...if we're talking synergy I recently pulled the trigger on a Halo P3 preamp to compliment my two Parasound HCA 1000 amps-125/side and the result was worth every cent.
I upraded my speakers to a pair of Castle Harlech floor standers and everything together is like sex and chocolate..


I just mated a SST Theobe II to one of those exact amps in my office system and love it... I have resisted the temptation to sell the parasound for years but have never found a good stable mate for it... Finally got some synergy and brought the parasound back from extinction!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group