Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm 

eurostylelighting.com
lightingdirect.com
ylighting.com
lumens.com (my favorite and used by many designers I have worked with)

-- 10 Sep 2015 00:38 --

newmusic wrote:
Yes I added the foam sealant around the door frames as well as sweeps on the bottom. Really heavy duty foam strips are available from Wilrep but even the $5 home hardware stuff will work wonders.
And in addition to green glue between the layers. I did leave the small gap between walls and ceilings. Then filled the gap with a product called acoustical caulking. Also used it around the lower perimeter of the room, (drywall to 2x4), at the base, and in the vertical seams in the wall, and around in wall electrical plugs. The inside of each electrical plug box was also lined with a special fire/sound proof putty.
I didn't learn about Sonopan until it was to late to try it. I also wished I had of trimmed the wall frame 2x4's just below the ceiling and then tap conned an angle brace into the cement wall. This may have further de-coupled the walls from the floor above, and allowed way fewer layers of drywall. I forgot to mention that I spray foamed 3" thick on the concrete walls in between the 2x4's before starting with the drywall. Hopefully this solidified the wall backing 2x4's enough to hold up the 9.5lbs per square foot of drywall that followed.
So is the room safe? Are my 2x8's in the ceiling overloaded on the wider 10'x17'long span at 4.9lbs/sq.ft.? Is the resilient channel going to come down on my head or will the walls fall in? Ime a bit nervous now. Anyone here know how to calculate the acceptable maximum loads?

Any advice on how to take this much further ADCO? I do have 2 sound rooms and may want to tackle the second one in the future.

honestly, their are sooo many avenues of thought here but one company we have usedn a lot of in the past is Vicoustic. there stuff is top notch IMO ...that said there is several other similar products on the market. If you go to the vicoustic website their pdf schedule will answer all the questions about what their products (and products like theirs) can do and how to do it....great place to start

http://www.vicoustic.com/building-const ... ivibratics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:20 am 

ADCO wrote:
eurostylelighting.com
lightingdirect.com
ylighting.com
lumens.com (my favorite and used by many designers I have worked with)

-- 10 Sep 2015 00:38 --

newmusic wrote:
Yes I added the foam sealant around the door frames as well as sweeps on the bottom. Really heavy duty foam strips are available from Wilrep but even the $5 home hardware stuff will work wonders.
And in addition to green glue between the layers. I did leave the small gap between walls and ceilings. Then filled the gap with a product called acoustical caulking. Also used it around the lower perimeter of the room, (drywall to 2x4), at the base, and in the vertical seams in the wall, and around in wall electrical plugs. The inside of each electrical plug box was also lined with a special fire/sound proof putty.
I didn't learn about Sonopan until it was to late to try it. I also wished I had of trimmed the wall frame 2x4's just below the ceiling and then tap conned an angle brace into the cement wall. This may have further de-coupled the walls from the floor above, and allowed way fewer layers of drywall. I forgot to mention that I spray foamed 3" thick on the concrete walls in between the 2x4's before starting with the drywall. Hopefully this solidified the wall backing 2x4's enough to hold up the 9.5lbs per square foot of drywall that followed.
So is the room safe? Are my 2x8's in the ceiling overloaded on the wider 10'x17'long span at 4.9lbs/sq.ft.? Is the resilient channel going to come down on my head or will the walls fall in? Ime a bit nervous now. Anyone here know how to calculate the acceptable maximum loads?

Any advice on how to take this much further ADCO? I do have 2 sound rooms and may want to tackle the second one in the future.

honestly, their are sooo many avenues of thought here but one company we have usedn a lot of in the past is Vicoustic. there stuff is top notch IMO ...that said there is several other similar products on the market. If you go to the vicoustic website their pdf schedule will answer all the questions about what their products (and products like theirs) can do and how to do it....great place to start

http://www.vicoustic.com/building-const ... ivibratics

Thanks...Huck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:27 pm 

I received my 80 GenieClips today...hopefully it won't take me another year to get started on this job!
For anyone who is interested,the IsoMax clips come 72 in a box,so if you need 80(me),I was told I would have to buy one more box,as they don't sell seperately...two boxes of 144 cost
$1,150.00 plus tax....,plus shipping..I don't think so!

RSCI-1 clips are $6.90 each,$122.90 shipping from Toronto to Niagara falls...total of $761.96 for 80...I don't think so! Huck

Last edited by Huck on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:33 pm 
Premium User

Huck wrote:
I received my 80 GenieClips today...hopefully it won't take me another year to get started on this job!Huck

That is called pro-cras-ti-na-tion Huck .... LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:32 am 

Well,at least I had a frame built so I can hang my 70" Sharp Aquos,so that's better than when I was thinking about doing this room last year and I did nothing...maybe when my 15 year old Sony 53" rptv died recently,that gave me some incentive?! Huck