Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hi there, I live in a townhouse, so limited space, but still keep three systems so far: HT in the living room for TV and movies; one 2-channel system in the living room too, for music; another 2-channel system in basement(man cave :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 pm 

Live in a house. No HT...
2 ch. "SoundBunker" in the basement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am 

HT in family room that can also double as music listening.

Main stereo music listening is living room.

Master bedroom also equipped for HT/Stereo but with lesser equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:52 am 

Live in a house.
Home theatre in a dedicated room in the basement.
2nd system in living/dining room.
Main system, in a dedicated room. ( The Great Room )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm 

Live in a house. The main system is in a dedicated 26 X 16 room, accessed only through its own stairs. This room also has a back up system, which is a set of Audio Note AN-E driven by a McIntosh MC240. The back up system shares the preamp and all source devices with the main system. The back up system is hardly ever used.

A second system is in the study/library room. Backing up the second system in this room is a simple system with a computer being the source.

A third system is on the main floor in the formal living room. A fourth system is in the main floor family room.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm 

Mine is in a bedroom - about 12'x15'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 am 
Premium User

Restarting this thread. I have a dedicated HT in the basement of our house at I built out when we purchased the house 10 odd years ago. I am in the process of assembling a dedicated 2 ch. system and I'm trying to decide whether to put it in the HT room or not. The HT is very tidy, with the front speakers and sub all hidden behind a microperf screen.

The HT has many advantages acoustically; in fact I think I got a bit lucky when I designed it. It is by far the best place in the house from a sound standpoint. Plus there is a separate equipment room beside the HT which keeps gear away from the curious hands of little nieces and nephews, and for that matter, the cat.

However, this is a true man cave. No windows, away from the main parts of the house. Pretty antisocial experience, listening to music alone down there. Plus, the speaker cable runs would be more than 20 feet, which may impact the sound (currently hooked up to the AVR) Speakers (standmounts) need to be moved into position for listening and out of the way for HT. I have several rooms on the main floor to put my new two channel system but none will come close to the sound in the HT. For casual listening in our family room I have one of those big Geneva XL cubes which is a one box solution but the sound is, as you would expect, limited.

Sooooo, here is my philosophical question. Are you willing to sacrifice sound quality for listening convenience? Is it more important to be able to listen casually as well as critically than to have better sound "inconvenient" sound?

I am leaning towards sticking it in the HT. I am committing funds to get great sound and the room is a large part of achieving that sound. But it isn't ideal, given that I would be constantly rearranging my speakers between listening sessions (placing them behind the screen for critical listening isn't a solution).

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:54 am 

Used to have HT in the basement, then changed to 2 channel, then gave the basement to my son, not I have a 2 channel in one part of main floor, and A 3 channel HT in another..not to worried about the surrounds..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:14 pm 

live in a house,live alone and don't own a home theater as I have precious little free time to actually get into using it.
my 2 channel is in the living room and still trying to sort the overall placing of each piece as it is an ongoing procedure-cabinents,speaker placing,etc.
working on a second system in my "green room".my night time winding down room with a computer to put me asleep.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 pm 

House

Dedicated HT room right next door to the dedicated 2Ch room in basement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:01 pm 

I live in a house in the country.

Main system is in great room with 2 separate power amps and speaker systems. 2nd system is in the basement or "Man Cave", i.e. the high powered one !!!. 3rd system shares sources with 2nd system and is for outdoors. 4th system is for bedroom. 5th system is for TV room on 2nd floor.

All these systems are 2 channel.

Thank you,

JBLman :D :o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 pm 

We live in a House, Main floor, no home theater, We run movies thru my Main 2 channel system with Stereo, DVD, Cassette Player, VHS,and TV in the Living room.
Also have another similar but really old 2 system channel in the bedroom which is also music room to practice or watch music Videos.

Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:35 pm 

Sooooo, here is my philosophical question. Are you willing to sacrifice sound quality for listening convenience? Is it more important to be able to listen casually as well as critically than to have better sound "inconvenient" sound?

I am leaning towards sticking it in the HT. I am committing funds to get great sound and the room is a large part of achieving that sound. But it isn't ideal, given that I would be constantly rearranging my speakers between listening sessions (placing them behind the screen for critical listening isn't a solution).
Thanks,
Dave[/quote]

We use the main 2 channel system in living room for mostly everything including Vinyl.
I'm way too lazy to move things around for critical listening, but my system is certainly not Hi End.

When the girls want to watch a movie, I can go into bedroom, or computer room and listen to CD thru my Senneheiser Headphones, and I'm very happy.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:45 pm 

Main 2ch. is in the basement, in a dedicated room. No HT set up. Used to have one but never used it so...
2nd system is in the living room. Wife uses it for the most (Meridian 506.20/Audio Space AS2i/ Paradigm Studio 20v2)
3rd system is at the cottage in a dedicated room wich serves as a tv/audio room (Meridian 506.20/NAD C352/Paradigm Studio 40v2)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm 

Front room of the house which is more or less a dedicated audio room. 12'W X 19'L X 8'H.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next