Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 4106
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
Jared Rachwalski wrote:

Maybe if this was Toole on the video.


Toole ironically has told us how to balance bass in a room. Proved it actually!

IMO the key to any project is to build on the success of KNOWN parameters. :wink:

marc mc

_________________
EMBEACH FORDY FIBE....EMBEACH FORDY FIBE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Blaine, WA, US
I think we should cut Paul some slack. The video was titled "Building a new Music Room", not "Building a Perfect Music Room." In his excitement to get the Infinity IRS, McGowan probably under-estimated the cost and time involved in getting a great-sounding room.

Most audiophiles and hi-end companies struggle to get good acoustics. When I peruse forum posting and listings, I'm surprised that a lot of audiophiles don't use room treatment. For example, a recent Audiogon ad for Wilson Maxx 2s showed no room treatment. Is this why he's selling the speakers?

BTW, PS Audio and most hi-end companies are not "big." Most are small to medium-size companies with limited budgets for dedicated sound rooms. Some companies have dedicated rooms on-site (eg. Synergistic Research), while others have primary or secondary rooms at their private homes (eg. DarTZeel, Wilson Audio).

At the other extreme, even acoustic engineers have their share of problems. Remember the complaints about the sound at Thomson Hall before and after the $20M acoustic makeover?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 3344
Location: NL
mtseymour wrote:
I think we should cut Paul some slack. The video was titled "Building a new Music Room", not "Building a Perfect Music Room." In his excitement to get the Infinity IRS, McGowan probably under-estimated the cost and time involved in getting a great-sounding room.

Most audiophiles and hi-end companies struggle to get good acoustics. When I peruse forum posting and listings, I'm surprised that a lot of audiophiles don't use room treatment. For example, a recent Audiogon ad for Wilson Maxx 2s showed no room treatment. Is this why he's selling the speakers?

BTW, PS Audio and most hi-end companies are not "big." Most are small to medium-size companies with limited budgets for dedicated sound rooms. Some companies have dedicated rooms on-site (eg. Synergistic Research), while others have primary or secondary rooms at their private homes (eg. DarTZeel, Wilson Audio).

At the other extreme, even acoustic engineers have their share of problems. Remember the complaints about the sound at Thomson Hall before and after the $20M acoustic makeover?


Bryston built there speakers at axiom,sound rooms cost big $$$$$ for testing,just like wind tunnels for race cars :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 2645
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
The videos were interesting, well presented and enjoyable to watch.

The end result was a better looking, better laid out, music room than the one he started with. (not including the trim work :lol: )

The only glaring failure was with the built in traps, but the angling of the corners did make a large improvement, so not a total loss.

It was a stand up move to post the last video with the failure of the traps and not just delete the whole series and ignore it ever happened.

Bottom line it shows the man has some integrity and is not afraid to admit his mistakes. And look at the comments he replied to on those videos. Again he could of deleted and hid from them but instead took the time.

_________________
VINYL RULES!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 4106
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
1980z28car wrote:

Bryston built there speakers at axiom,sound rooms cost big $$$$$ for testing,just like wind tunnels for race cars :wink:


Here is the key to the Bryston speakers. This is a picture I took inside the anechoic chamber at Axiom. Ian made it to the exact specs as the one in Ottawa. Very freaky place after a couple of minutes. Very freaky!

I heard the Bryston speakers in their listening room very briefly.

Image

marc mc

_________________
EMBEACH FORDY FIBE....EMBEACH FORDY FIBE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:40 pm
Posts: 158
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
bwebster1970 wrote:
From what I can understand from reading up on the resonators is that they work when air is passed over the holes. To place them in a corner would not allow this efficiently. IMHO :)


Given they *are* the corner, I am not sure I agree with this. I wonder if the speaker radiation pattern is the issue.

bwebster1970 wrote:
Also, I am taken back by the lack of sound absorption on the ceiling and side walls. I did notice the stand alone resonators in the back of the room. These types of resonators are tunes for specific frequencies and not general absorption.


Given these speakers are a line source, and he already has 9+ foot ceilings, not sure there is any benefit to ceiling treatments. I actually think if this is the only problem his room has, they have done remarkably well. I will generally take a too live room over a too dead one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 pm
Posts: 825
Location: toronto, ON, CA
I have a feeling that in order for the resonators to work, the room must be rigid and completely sealed off (like a speaker cabinet). Maybe there were no considerations made for the openings like the door or the new space for the rack (hopefully the bass isn't piling up in there!) Maybe the ceiling construction is flimsy? Also seems to me the relationships between the ports and the source of those frequencies (woofers) requires more careful consideration, like distance? They just placed those speakers in on a rule of thumb and it might benefit from relocation..

Another setback is the new connections from preamp to monoblocks have become way longer and indirect..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 4106
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
keshiri wrote:
I have a feeling that in order for the resonators to work, the room must be rigid and completely sealed off (like a speaker cabinet).


A room is the inside of a speaker.

marc mc

_________________
EMBEACH FORDY FIBE....EMBEACH FORDY FIBE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Blaine, WA, US
marc mc wrote:
1980z28car wrote:

Bryston built there speakers at axiom,sound rooms cost big $$$$$ for testing,just like wind tunnels for race cars :wink:


Here is the key to the Bryston speakers. This is a picture I took inside the anechoic chamber at Axiom. Ian made it to the exact specs as the one in Ottawa. Very freaky place after a couple of minutes. Very freaky!

I heard the Bryston speakers in their listening room very briefly.

Image

marc mc


Bryston illustrates the fact that most hi-end companies have pretty small R&D budget, and must rely on partners or vendors to develop some products. The BDP-1 media player is another example where outside technology was important. I think Bryston should be lauded for introducing new products with limited resources (and technological partnerships). The same can be said for McGowan for building a good (but imperfect) sound room with limited budget and know-how. Paul showed the rewards and pitfalls of building a good sound room, and started a lively discussion. Let's not get too nit-picky.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 73
Location: Rose dale, BC, CA
Goes to show even acoustic pros.don't always get it right the first time,I have listened to close to half million $$$ system once and did not sound near as pleasing to my ears as my heavily treated listening room.
My room is small and I listen in the near field,the exspensive system sounded bigger ,but I think mine was much more involving with pinpoint imigeing.
Mine was also a learning exsperiense,trying different treatments and locations of such and speaker placement etc.
Unless you are rich and can afford to hire top notch experts,doing it yourself is the way to go ,it's a fun and easy science that's very rewarding ,and you will have the bragging rights the rich guy does not.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group