Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:59 am 
Premium User

I just twigged to why high end headphones are so popular these days. More audiophiles living in condos/apartments! Doh!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:27 am 

Good walls & ceiling/floor, reasonable neighbours and common sense are the most important factors in being a satisfied audiophile living in a box. Sure, there may be equipment that works better, for example, at lower volumes and in smaller spaces. In the end, though, it all comes down to those three factors IMO, with common sense being the most important (though the least common) :)
Byron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:52 am 

A dipole speaker, with its off-axis response directed towards the neighbouring wall, along with the three important factors Byron has mentioned, can go a really long way to musical enjoyment in an apartment.

Dipoles have a figure-8 type of axial response, so that response that is perpendicular to the 8 significantly lower in loudness. In an apartment setting this would, in most scenarios, require putting the speakers along the exterior boundary, and possibly near windows and balcony doors (for which modest decorative coverings will help with reflections). I wish I had this capability but a large concrete pillar near our window makes this an impossibility. Dipole bass also doesn't travel across boundaries the same way monopole bass does.

I started this thread a while back.. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... Neighbours and since have purchased Magnepan 2.5 and had zero complaints about the bass being a bother. We've also an understanding that Friday night are no-limit nights, but I don't listen that loud to begin with. During the week I put the music on for an hour to 90 mins at relaxing levels - maybe 60-65db nominal; she can hear some of the music across the wall but it's not intrusive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:01 am 

bryston3bguy wrote:
friend of mine is gonna be stuck in an apartment for a bit my question is if anyone here has any tips so that he doesn't disturb neighbors? room treatments etc thanks for any help

Get to know the super!
Seriously!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am 

good headphones and a set of Senn's wireless ones also

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 am 

Living in an apartment myself I can offer the following ideas.

1. If you are going into an apartment look for one from an earlier era where wall separations are concrete. My wall separations are 10" including a 4" air gap.
2. Use a system that plays well at lower volumes
3. Be conscious of the effect of bass. Sometimes you might no hear it as much as you feel it. The feeling you get transmits though walls even at low volumes.
4. Try to place speakers where they do not back or face towards a separating wall.
5. Test you system by turning it on to a volume you use and then step outside in the landing or hall (close door). If you think it sounds to loud to you. you can be certain the neighbor will think so.
6. Communicate with your neighbors if possible to find out what their thresholds might be. "Hi I was listening to my stereo last night and I think I might have a bit too loud. Did it bother you at all?" listen to the feed back and adjust accordingly plus a little bit extra.
7. Remember the laws regarding noise are the same day or night which is not to interfere with the quiet enjoyment of your neighbor at any time. This even applies to houses which are not connected, I once had a rocker next door to me who didn't no when to turn it down and I had to resort to by-law to shut him down which they did with ease. I couldn't hear myself think in my own kitchen.

Mike;