Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm 

f0rge wrote:
saved for it, no point going into debt for a hobby

buy what you can afford, then if you want later, upgrade, the used market is great for this, if you buy nice gear and take care of it you can get most of your money back.

there is also a lot of trial and error, some speakers work well in some rooms or with certain amps, some do not. i

Best advice ever ... buy what you can afford, and never go into debt for it. Makes it MUCH easier to sell to a significant other also.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 pm 

I Started when I was 16yrs old. I got the bug via my brother in law. I spent my entire summer wages of $1500 on a Linn LP12 with basic plus arm and AT cart. I listen to it through a realistic all in one system for a year. Then my Dad was feeling generous( thanks Pa!) on my birthday and bought me a Naim 42/110 kit and a pair of Castle Clides.

I used this system for over 25 years. Added a Cambride CD4 12 years ago, a gift. Just didnt dig the CD thing so this system was ignored, used, but not upgraded. Castles died, replaced by JBl monitors and the system was very ' background' there after.

Fast forward to just this past fall. I needed an reciever and speakers for our TV, i got sick of the lousey built in speakers. Got to thinking of 2 channel again with more vinyl availble. Comprimised with wifey and got a Nad T775 reciever, new, but 30% of list and found a pair of Mint Linn Keilidhs in Rosenut at the same dealer, that i demod and lovd ( Bi Amped by the T775), paid top dollar for these but the last model produced with all the upgrades and the cabinets are beautiful. Traded the 25 year old Naim pre-power and cambridge CD4 for a new VPI 16.5 . Not bad value for my trade considering the decades of use and enjoyment i got from these pieces.

Found this site and found a Linn Akito 2B to replace the basic plus and now giving the old girl a cirkus bearing upgrade as well. ( she'll be home soon). Putting a demod AT 440 on the Akito.

This site has really contributed to my re-kindled audio bug. I plan other used purchases in the near future to keep the ball rolling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 pm 

Tossed off the EX and her kids a few years back, stopped contributing to RRSP (will not live to see), and work my arse off all over the continent. no bills when the house sits empty.
My friends see me through, and I value every one of my forum buddies. Thanks guys!

I also drop by these lads in Dallas, Wisconsin, Cali, Ottawa and everywhere else as I travel there.
Small house, used Caddy ( :wink: ), pay cash for everything.

I eventually, finally bought the kit that I heard and liked best when I was visiting my bud in Dallas.

Cep't I bought MORE MAC hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
f0rge wrote:
saved for it, no point going into debt for a hobby

buy what you can afford, then if you want later, upgrade, the used market is great for this, if you buy nice gear and take care of it you can get most of your money back.

there is also a lot of trial and error, some speakers work well in some rooms or with certain amps, some do not. i

Best advice ever ... buy what you can afford, and never go into debt for it. Makes it MUCH easier to sell to a significant other also.

Let me fix this for you:

Best advice ever ... buy what you can afford, and never go into debt for it. Makes it MUCH easier if you sell significant other also. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:24 pm 

I got paid for her!
Buh-bye!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm 

Stayed Single!!!!

The only critics in my house are myself and my dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 pm 
Premium User

Got divorced and waited until I had no more child care to pay and put that towards my system!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 pm 

MrAcoustat wrote:
Toby wrote:
When I was a kid my father got a tube system and gave the old family stereo to the two boys. It was a Viking, a rebranded Electrohome perhaps, with a Garrard changer, a single oval speaker... and a tube amp in it. We loved that thing, we had a record collection and probably what we played most often was The Kingston Trio and Roger Voisin playing the classical trumpet. I mention that to show that the interest has always been there.

Haven't always been as lucky as I am today. My mother got a small inheritance and bought me a Dyna tube amp kit. I had that for a couple of years... without anything else. While I was at boarding school in England I picked up a pair of Wharfedale drivers and memorized Gilbert Briggs' Cabinet Handbook. Back in Canada I had enclosure pieces cut and got an Elac changer. That system was stolen. My GF had insurance and she kept the replacement. Hard to take, but she did claim for my guitar.

I worked briefly at a Toronto high-end store in the early seventies. I got a loan on an insurance policy to pay for the best speakers, amp and turntable I could swing. That system went to my ex-wife. I went back to school and had to give up on music for 5 years. I started thinking about it again when I found UHF Magazine, back when it was Hi-Fi Sound.

The rest of it is a continuous process of learning what good gear does for music and how to find a deal on the used market. The best help comes from friends, people who know more than I do. If you want a clear description of how it works, read Gerard Rejskind's book, The UHF Guide to High Fidelity. There's a chapter near the back which shows how to start with the best you can afford, plan your upgrades and wind up with your dream system. I must have read it fifty times.

Man you're not lucky with the women's in your life, if my wife took my system she would join the fishes in a sleeping bag and NO i'm not kidding i don't mind splitting three quarters for me and one quarter for her but the system no way it's part of my three quarters. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OK, MrA, how do you manage a "three quarters for you, one quarter for her" scenario if you were to divorce? I need to learn that for the rainy days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:04 pm 

Psst...Dilbert, that includes the life insurance settlement! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:23 pm 

Thanks all.
That was very enjoyable.
I think the point stressed most often was educate yourself, decde what you want or need and wait patiently for a used unit.
I am thinking of upgrading my Polk Lsi15's speakers.
I was at an audio store today and auditioned Usher diamond series speakers.
I was really impressed.
The ones I liked were $3000.00.
I will be patient.
Glen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:56 pm 
Premium User

gkella wrote:
Thanks all.
That was very enjoyable.
I think the point stressed most often was educate yourself, decde what you want or need and wait patiently for a used unit.
I am thinking of upgrading my Polk Lsi15's speakers.
I was at an audio store today and auditioned Usher diamond series speakers.
I was really impressed.
The ones I liked were $3000.00.
I will be patient.
Glen

All kidding aside Glen, you have it pretty much nailed. You don't even need to wait for a used unit if your needs can be met by something new at an affordable price. Just make sure that everything you buy plays nicely and is in harmony with the rest of your system (insert the dreaded "synergy" word here).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:11 pm 

and NEVER underbuy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm 

My 2 cents on this subject
Do not have extra great system but a nice one....it is all used but looks like new....
I think that is all matter of choice. I am very frugal (cheap) when it comes to the cars. I am driving something that is barely fiting a description of a car (Versa), but it gets me arround.
But my amplifier is Classee CA 2200, my speakers are synchronyes, my preamp is in process of change soon. Classe CP 800...
I do not put all my extra money in RRSP's either, because I want to live my life today, but that is also a choice thing.
So, I think that we all could afford some nice stuff, but some sacrifices must be done elsewhere.

Cheers

gkella wrote:
I was looking through the post on the thread "showing off your 2 channel system".
I am so jealous.
Anyone care to share their stories on how they built such elaborate systems.
Sorry to ask such personal questions.
Where did you get the cash?
How many of you are single and don't have to get wife approval?
How many went into deep debt for the love of audio?
However you did it, my hat is off to you.

I just have to win a lottery!!!!
Glen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 pm 

Never believe people when they say you can't have something or that you can't do something.

its all how bad you want it, and you can't be afraid to act. Most people are so afraid of doing the wrong thing that they do nothing. I say its better to act to the best of your ability at the time and if it turns out to be a mistake you can learn from it.

Its not how hard you work but how smart, although working hard is not a bad thing it is not the only thing as my mother would have me believe.

I believe you only live once hence I am into sailing, HiFi, riding expensive bikes, fitness, reading and not WATCHING TV.

People should be open minded and pursue what they are interested in.

Ive always been into music, from old vinyl to 8 tracks to now having a decent system that will probably always be evolving.

I'm not chauvinistic but its my choice what i do with my money and if i want it i will buy it however you have to make it before you buy it. Its not about how expensive it is anyway.

Definitely into buying used but it is important to have a relationship with spme high end audio stores and support them at times as well. Some of my best scores were demos.

Live large and dream big then make it happen, but never forget who you are and where you came from.

Cheers!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:44 pm 

At first don't buy anything. Maybe a nice $200 table top radio/boombox.

Then go listen to some systems and figure out a reference point. Are you a panel guy? A Linnie? Mini monitors? Vinyl? Tubes? Digital?

So many different directions.

Be true to your preferences. IME, most dealer systems are on the lean, dry, bright side of neutral. They sound impressive but could be hard to live with if you try to replicate that sound. Best systems I have heard were at friend's houses. Not all of them expensive.

I absolutely love my two main systems. One is mostly a small British system and the other is fuller with components from around the world. Both sound exactly the way I always wanted.

In my 2.8 years at CAM, I have learned more than in the previous 25 years, and that in turn has allowed me to build these systems.

My wife is understanding too. As long as her diamonds are bigger than mine......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next