Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 pm 

I was looking through the post on the thread "showing off your 2 channel system".
I am so jealous.
Anyone care to share their stories on how they built such elaborate systems.
Sorry to ask such personal questions.
Where did you get the cash?
How many of you are single and don't have to get wife approval?
How many went into deep debt for the love of audio?
However you did it, my hat is off to you.

I just have to win a lottery!!!!
Glen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm 

Buy used on CAM :D :wink:
jp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 pm 

J. P. wrote:
Buy used on CAM :D :wink: jp

Yes, and if you sell your gear you will just be paying to upgrade rather than buying big ... for example ... I sold my Bryston 3B-ST on CAM for $850 and bought my 4B-SST on CAM for $2350 ... a $1,500 upgrade with no tax. Oh yeah, and get divorced BEFORE you get a pot to piss in. :mrgreen:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm 

Worked my ass off, saved my money and bought what I wanted...

...I've repeated these steps many times over the years.

It's an addiction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm 

Took ten years of saving, waiting for the right pieces to show up used over those years, and a very understanding wife who is into music.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 pm 

Built most of it myself from scratch.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm 

In one year I went from (all used and from CAM members) Harman Kardon, NAD, Cambridge Audio and now am at Shanling with ELAC, ELAC's new, Shanling's AMP is Demo and CDP from PartsConexion, once you start you'll manage to move on, not necessarily up in the price range as I find my self buying used TT and Marantz now, a Technics SL-D1 fro $100 and now an impeccable like new Rega Planar II for $300, oh yes and slowly building my vinyl collection, so time and dedication, I find myself not smoking cigarettes as much to save for this more healthy vice, though like many others it can be expensive but you may live longer, now wifes are more expensive and more sooner than later they stop singing. think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm 

Countless hours demoing gear at dealers, and other audiophiles.

Hear it new at the dealer then wait impatiently for a few years for the used price to go below 40% of retail.

If you buy great sounding used stuff with a fairly well known brand name then you can resell easily for close to what you paid. Think of it as an investment that holds it's value. Then you don't have to feel guilty about spending so much money.

Spent 2 years working 3 jobs at once. A little stressful. But the savings from that time have set me up nicely.

Try to limit your spending on frivolous bad investments, eg. fancy clothes, bar alcohol prices, excess travel, new cars.
Since I stopped going to the bar almost every night, I have a lot nicer stereo, house etc.

Most people I know think nothing of spending $4k for a one week vacaton for 2. But ask them if they would spend $4k on a stereo? (that you can enjoy year round for the rest of your life) Well, that's just crazy, is the most common reply...
I guess musical enjoyment is much higher on my priority list than some other things.

The biggest money saver for me now is a lack of new car expenditures. My friends all drive new $40k cars/trucks but listen to music and movies through an under $1k future shop stereo. I drive a $6k car but listen to music on a $50k stereo. If I was to go buy a new car the depreciation could be $4k or more each year. I look for older, low mileage, used cars. My last one was 6 years old with only 50k mileage, took me a little longer to locate on the used market, but well worth the effort. Now I have an extra $4k-$5k a year to spend on audio or otherwise compared to my buddy with the new car. That kind of extra cash flow can get you some really nice gear on the used market. :mrgreen:

My freinds $50k car is almost worthless after 6-7 years but my $50k used value stereo is still worth close to $50k. My buddies think I am crazy for what I spend (invest) on audio gear. But I spend more than 5-6 hours a day enjoying audio nirvana. And they spend less than 1-2 hours a day in their prestige mobile. Call me crazy...but who's laughing now :D :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 pm 

Error

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 pm 

newmusic wrote:
Countless hours demoing gear at dealers, and other audiophiles.

Hear it new at the dealer then wait impatiently for a few years for the used price to go below 40% of retail.

If you buy great sounding used stuff with a fairly well known brand name then you can resell easily for close to what you paid. Think of it as an investment that holds it's value. Then you don't have to feel guilty about spending so much money.

Spent 2 years working 3 jobs at once. A little stressful. But the savings from that time have set me up nicely.

Try to limit your spending on frivolous bad investments, eg. fancy clothes, bar alcohol prices, excess travel, new cars.
The biggest one is new car expenditures. My friends all drive new $40k cars/trucks but listen to music and movies through an under $1k future shop stereo. I drive a $6k car but listen to music on a $50k stereo. If I was to go buy a new car the depreciation could be $4k or more each year. I look for older, low mileage, used cars. My last one was 6 years old with only 50k mileage, took me a little longer to locate on the used market, but well worth the effort. Now I have an extra $4k-$5k a year to spend on audio or otherwise compared to my buddy with the new car. That kind of extra cash flow can get you some really nice gear on the used market. :mrgreen:

My freinds $50k car is almost worthless after 6-7 years but my $50k used value stereo is still worth close to $50k. My buddies think I am crazy for what I spend (invest) on audio gear. But I spend more than 5-6 hours a day enjoying audio nirvana. And they spend less than 1-2 hours a day in their prestige mobile. Call me crazy...but who's laughing now :D :lol:

I have done the same as Newmusic, patiently waiting for good deal and bought used high-end audio rather than brand new. I did make some mistakes when I was in college wasted money on mid-fi stuff and it lost its values quite fast, the only thing left for those years was my lps collection. I started to save again, read more, listened more. I never smoke, drink, or eat out at expensive restaurants, wear expensive clothes or shoes or watches or expensive cell phone. (I have seen my friends changing phone like their shirts and monthly cost is out of control). My lovely wife is so happy when I am an audiophile because I am always at home and around with her. We have good budget and carefully plan out for our life. She knows I work hard and she pushes me sometimes have to enjoy of what I have earned. One thing we don't skim off is the car, we have a 3 years old VW. We have seen a lot crazy accidents and we live in a snow country, and if the car is not safe it will rip off our happiness if there is an accident. By the way, my car is around 27k, when I bought it 3 yrs ago.

These are some of the tips I have learned and gone through;

Save and trim down on personal expense...and patient
Build up your music collection, good recording cds, lps (garbage in garbage out...don't let your friends destroy your hobby with some terrible mp3 recording)
Start reading topics about building budget system and buy used equipment and avoid buy new if the budget is not allow.
Check out the system from other members here or at Audiogon or read the audio reviews online or audio magazines to see the match up between equipments with speakers, cables etc...to save your headache and money.
I start from front end down to speakers... I find this way save me more and less headache, some likes to start the speakers first and build around.
Room acoustic is very important, it could change everything, I have heard a small and inexpensive pair Maggies in a good set up room and sound better than a pair expensive box speakers set up in a poor room acoustic.
Avoid small upgrade, save money to switch something better.
Stay with Canadian made and sellers as much as we can to save us the cost shipping and cross the border.
Be happy of what you have or need than of what you want.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:24 am 

I rebuilt my 2-channel system by doing my audio homework, trusting my instincts, scrounging for bargains & telling The Wife nothing. I don't want a new car, I frown upon cocaine use, and don't gamble our money away. A great-sounding stereo is easily within the grasp of anybody who really wants one. My 2 cents...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 am 

I followed the advice of BOSE. Better sound through research. You don’t have to spend a fortune to have a system that sounds like those that do cost a fair amount of money. In almost every category of component, speaker and whatever else, there are always “sleeper” components out there. Units that maybe are lesser known, or are simply good deals now in the used market or once in awhile a good buy comes along.

Build your system one piece at a time and do not be afraid to experiment and try different gear. I doubt there are many here who have put together a system all at once, most of us have been building our systems for years and for at least some of us, we are still slowly building and upgrading when the right piece comes along with the right deal attached.

That is one of the things I enjoy about audio as a hobby. It is a gradual and slow procession but you learn along the way and the rewards are a system that you can get more enjoyment out of.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 am 

Glen,

It's a long journey.Sometimes I have sacrificed. I don't drive a $40 to $50K car or suv,therefore, no car payment. You can guess where the car payment is going each month. I have always paid cash for all equipment.My wife has always been understanding as she knows this is my passion, lucky me.

It all takes time.I started with a Pioneer recevier and sound dynamics speakers, then Nad and went on from there.Be patient.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:48 am 

like others here have mentioned, i also built my system over many years. constantly upgrading as the money was available. i keep cash in a box and when there's enough for what i want, that's when i get it. my wife also appreciates that this is my passion and is very understanding.
sometimes i buy used, sometimes new. i do not take advantage of the brick and mortar stores by auditioning there and buying used elsewhere. i appreciate their service and i support them the best i can.
i have built my own amps and speakers to save some $. i have had the amps upgraded by dan a couple of times.
it's a slow ongoing process. i'm almost where i want to be :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 am 

I do think that the car comparison is an interesting one. In my twenties and early thirties I always had a summer-only car that was fun but provided very little utility. And even though I only drove it in the summer it still cost regular car expenses (insurance, maintenance and depreciation). After my son arrived I no longer had the time to enjoy/justify the car so I sold it. It was around this time that I got more serious about audio. No one questions you for having a $30 000 car that is just a toy but if you tell someone that you just paid $3 000 for an amplifier they will think that you are crazy. I realized eventually that the money that I had tied up in that vehicle could help me pursue my other interests (audio and watches) to a pretty high level and those interests are ones that I enjoy every day of the year. It is easily money better spent.