Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:14 pm 

Hi, i have been doing some reading and when in doubt ask.

I need power for preamp, two monoblock amps , DAC, CD, and my plasma. In the future maybe HT if i go that route, though I really doubt it. If I run a sub (never found a reason to run one yet, speakers handle the lows great) it will be on a separate line because of distance.

I was going to run one 20 amp circuit into two outlets,( I guess the hospital type that everyone talks about ) for all the components and run the plasma on a separate circuit that is already nearby. Run the two amps off the same outlet, the preamp on the other outlet, and the rest on a power bar, and then eventually change that for a good made for audio power bar (like blue circle's).

I figure this should be more than ample enough power, and should be as clear a sound as possible without going into power conditioners or stuff like that, because budget budget budget.

Make sense? I cannot run each component on a separate line because of lack of breaker box space.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 pm 

You are on the right track, but I would suggest another dedicated line of two if you don't plan on getting into a good(expensive) power conditioner.

This way you could still isolate your tv and digital gear from your amps and also keep your pre amp front end non digital gear separated using three hubell hospital or industrial grade duplexes. Or even a quad plex on a dedicated line would be a step up from using a cheap off the shelf power bar.

If your goal is to improve your sound, take the cheap power bar out of the equation.

Remember to use 10 guage romex.

-- 16 Jan 2011 01:05 --

Sorry I just saw the part about a lack of breaker space.

That's a problem,maybe it's a good time for a new panel or an add on pony box to the one you have.

Not a big job nor that expensive,and you future proof your electrical needs.

I am guessing if you've run out of space the panel is quite old or just inadequate for the times we live in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:13 pm 

if your pre is anolog. ya. if you have a plasma then you have hd box,dvd etc.{digital} can you put all of them on the same line as the plasma?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:14 pm 

Attaboy Chuck, a jockeybox is a good idea for our friend.
Nothing fancy or pricey, just more access.

Devices and grips for 10G wire are a lot more money than 14G, and i see no need for more than that for 15amp circuits. But hey, overbuilding with the right parts is never a bad thing. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm 

Ok, I can add three lines which leaves me 2 empty in the box without adding a pony panel yet. I will not be doing another reno till the kitchen, a year or two from now, so I will add the panel then if needed.

I don't need to worry about HD boxes, cable etc because what little TV I watch is all online. In fact I use my TV as my computer screen with wireless keys and mouse. I definitely did not want to have my comp on any of those lines. I am assuming that a comp is noisy.

I guess in hindsight that 3 lines will let me stay with 15 amp lines. I have never been good at working out what electronic device draws how much power etc. that was why I thought of the 20amp. Thanks

I was going to keep the comp and the plasma on the same line because it is there.

Never thought about using multiple boxes instead of a power bar. I am cutting into heavy paneling so I figured a bar was easier.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:12 pm 

I cannot run each component on a separate line because of lack of breaker box space.

[/quote]
Not sure what breakers you have but with many you can buy a slimline in which 2 fill the spot of one of the originals(both 15 amp).
Failing that you can install a pony panel at modest cost as well as was pointed out earlier.
20 amp may be a bad idea, possible fire hazard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 pm 

I have run some very heavyweight amps here on dedicated 15amp circuits with Home Depot wire and never had an issue.
Unless your amps are more than 110lb Mac 402's, nameplated at 1300 watts consumption, you will be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:04 pm 

I have done something a bit different, installed a 40 amp sub panel in my listening room, then wire my 20 outlets.
My main panel is located at the other end of the basement, instead of pulling 10 lines of yellow Romex, the electrician pulled 2 black fat wires in conduit to sub panel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 am 

My amps are pretty efficient(class D) but I still use 30 watt breakers and 10 guage wiring from the panel.

My cable runs are less than 10 feet to the panel that is in my listening room, one of the reasons I moved my gear there.

No risk of a fire and no piece of gear that will ever tax this set up, but if you are going to do it,why settle for less.

If it happens to sound better by not limiting yourself to 15 amps and 14 guage wires,then you haven't spent that much for the improvement.

My take is do it once, do it right, courtesy of Mr Holmes.

The cost to go the extra mile shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially if you do the work yourself.
Even if you don't, an electrician won't charge you extra to put in a 20 or 30 amp breaker instead of a 15, and the cost of snaking wire should be the same for 10 or 15(but maybe Im wrong here).

The only extra cost is the bulk wire itself going from 15 to 10, which if the distance is long could add up I guess.
Still this is your hobby.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:59 am 

Please do not encourage this person to do his wiring himself, regardles of the fact that he perfectly able.
Only a certified electrician should be allowed to carry out electrical work in your home.
It will cost a few dollars more but .....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am 

My appologies for assuming most on this site are dyed in the wool DIY guys on a budget.
That can be a recipe for disaster.

Especially in light of the twisted wire discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 am 

Three things I would do:

1. Use cryo-treated 12-gauge Romex from Audio Sensibility. Why not 10-gauge? I haven't found it cryo'ed and it's harder to work with. Some say overkill. Cryo treating though is right up there with OCC conductors and minimum-metal connectors as my technologies of personal choice for audio wiring.

2. Separate the digital and analog audio gear. Its own circuit for digital.

3. Run completely separate wiring for all circuits right back to the service entry. Your electrician may want to use a common ground buss, but just say no.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 pm 

Hey if I can help, PM me. I'm an electrician and my advice is always free. I'll do my best to answer code and practical related questions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:22 am 

why are you so interested in audiophile instillation things like dedicated mains wiring if you are using digital as a source,you will not hear any benefit at all just wasting money.Correct installation is needed to help the magic of vinyl and tubes in the chain shine through .I have been in this many many years wasted my money and ears thinking I could make my cd's sound better,returned to vinyl with a fresh open mind.Studied and studied,started from scratch and tried to do everything correct ,being older really does make you wiser,now l have a system that sounds true high end ,dedicated power,complete room acoustic treatments and custom cabling,all home made through research.VPI t.t.,sound smith cartridge,custom made tube phono pre,YBA amps and Paridigm studio 20 v5 monitors on custom stands listening in near field.If I was to plug in a CD player no matter how good the player and Dac,the analog magic would be lost,sound so bad to be unlistenable,to bad it took me so long to learn all this ,but now you have been warned,so try and do it right the first time.Then start new obsession doing tweaks and learning how to listen to music,there is so much to learn about what it takes to produce true pure sound,I'm just trying to help people,soon as someone mentions digital of any source I cringe and think poor bastard,he will never experience the magic of spine chills,hair all over body tingling,having the breath sucked out of you by sounds in vinyl that only correct reproduction of music can achieve.

-- 05 Apr 2016 15:27 --

why are you so interested in audiophile instillation things like dedicated mains wiring if you are using digital as a source,you will not hear any benefit at all just wasting money.Correct installation is needed to help the magic of vinyl and tubes in the chain shine through .I have been in this many many years wasted my money and ears thinking I could make my cd's sound better,returned to vinyl with a fresh open mind.Studied and studied,started from scratch and tried to do everything correct ,being older really does make you wiser,now l have a system that sounds true high end ,dedicated power,complete room acoustic treatments and custom cabling,all home made through research.VPI t.t.,sound smith cartridge,custom made tube phono pre,YBA amps and Paridigm studio 20 v5 monitors on custom stands listening in near field.If I was to plug in a CD player no matter how good the player and Dac,the analog magic would be lost,sound so bad to be unlistenable,to bad it took me so long to learn all this ,but now you have been warned,so try and do it right the first time.Then start new obsession doing tweaks and learning how to listen to music,there is so much to learn about what it takes to produce true pure sound,I'm just trying to help people,soon as someone mentions digital of any source I cringe and think poor bastard,he will never experience the magic of spine chills,hair all over body tingling,having the breath sucked out of you by sounds in vinyl that only correct reproduction of music can achieve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:35 am 

Zipp wrote:
why are you so interested in audiophile instillation things like dedicated mains wiring if you are using digital as a source,you will not hear any benefit at all just wasting money.

Wow, opened up a zombie thread...and then dump the same nonesense you ahve put into all your other threads?

the whole "digital is crap" attitude is getting old....old like this thread was!