Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:02 am 

Has anyone used these tubes that can give their feedback? Wondering how these compare to the current production heavy hitters like Emission Labs, TJ Full Music, Sophia, EAT, etc. Possibly looking for a new pair for my Finale Audio 300b signature SET monos.

Also looking for a pair of 5u4 rectifiers and was thinking:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/5U4-T ... -274B-5U4G

or

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/p ... or-single/

Suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 pm 
Premium User

For 5U4G rectifier it seems as if this is hard to beat.

https://best300b-com.myshopify.com/coll ... lampizator

Have one in my LampizatOr Big 7 and it made a significant difference...in a good way!!! ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 pm 
Premium User

This thread has been here for a while. I have EML 520B V3's which are a 300b on steroids and I like it a lot, I also have KR 300b's and they are very good. My Black Treasure 300b's are nice but the Czech tubes both EML and KR do have an edge in sound and probably longevity. They are also more than twice the money.

I love my EML 5U4G tubes but an alternative that is a fraction of the cost are 596's with an adapter. I can barely tell the difference and I paid $200 for a pair and the adapter off Ebay were maybe $30.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:10 pm 

Recently acquired the 300B T mkII. Only a week on them but quite impressed. I've been using Sophia Royal Princess last couple of years and I don't think I'm missing much. I'm doing some extensive work on my amp so lots of moving parts so to speak. I'll have a more definitive opinion in the next couple of weeks.

You are welcome to PM me for more follow-up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:35 pm 

I'll get taking to task for this but in my experience rectifier tubes have a larger impact on sound than power tubes.......
That's where I would spend my money first.
Flame suit on......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 pm 
Premium User

wcoombs wrote:
I'll get taking to task for this but in my experience rectifier tubes have a larger impact on sound than power tubes.......
That's where I would spend my money first.
Flame suit on......

I don't totally agree about the rectifiers having more impact than power tubes. A lot of this depends on the architecture of the amp. My WOO WA5-LE benefited from good rectifiers but once I found the sweet spot the search was over. EML 5U4G or United Electronics 596 with adapters are about equal in my opinion and 596's are a fraction of the price. Woo Audio is selling 596's for a ridiculous amount of money and they may have cornered the market on these as very few are showing up on the popular auction site. Good power tubes make a world of difference. The EML 520b v3's give me about 15% more output at the volume pot. I also needed to buy a rack that could accommodate an 8.5" tube plus clearance for cooling. My sweet spot for drivers are 6F8G Tung Sol round plates or Marconi 6SN7's. The Tung Sol's are so good that I have no desire to tweak them with another tube. The 6F8G Tung Sol's are the same as a Tung Sol 6SN7 at 50% of the price and they are probably more reliable. I also went a step further. Where I live we have the odd brown outs and the occasional power surge. I installed a PS Audio Power Plant P5. This may be overkill but now my rectifier only needs to deal with pure in spec power with no THD in the line at a perfect 119.7-120 V AC.

Attachments:
IMG_1462[1].JPG
IMG_1462[1].JPG [ 329.01 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]

Last edited by watchdog507 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 pm 

Is that a dead mouse on the floor? Might want to think about getting a cat :lol:

Nice system!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:10 pm 
Premium User

sthomas1049 wrote:
Is that a dead mouse on the floor? Might want to think about getting a cat :lol:

Nice system!

I have a Bengal cat who likes mice :). It's the slide control for the Torch light. That cheap power bar is on a separate circuit for the active vent and torch light. I have power/active, ducts/vents to help cool the audio gear.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:15 pm 

Looks like a computer mouse flipped upside down - hence dead mouse! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 am 

Must have at least 100hrs on the PSV T-II 300B now. Very solid large sound. Very clean and certainly no etching. Only criticism compared to the Royal Princess 300B is the RP has a bit more HF air to it. They sound far more alike than different though. Both leave my old reference, the Sophia Princess mesh, in the dust - just placed an ad to rehome them.

Perhaps more run-in time will help them further. I've been doing other amp mods so I can't readily say there's been any change to date. I think they sounded pretty good out of the box. Perhaps some extra time will add that last smidge of air.

I also installed new PS Vane CV181T mkII at the same time and these are the best I've encountered yet. Probably going to post an for my Sophia 6SN7 soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:19 am 

All I would like to know is how in hell does one pronounce "Psvane"?!???!