Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 am 
Premium User

brownslane wrote:
As some of you know I import/export in my business. I have seen quite a number of strange things occurring at the border, especially after DHS came into being. A prime example. Buy a knapsack to send your kid to school; no problem importing from the States....but describe that backpack as "tactical" (anywhere in its name or description) and DHS steps in...and it is banned. if the KT-88s were Sovtek, they might have been caught under the "military" descriptor....or, as it has been said before, it might be a safety issue.

All full-service couriers are focused on the most rapid, trouble-free (for them, that is) delivery of your goods. If they are not sure of the correct HS code, they will always input the one that is dutied at the highest rate...why? Because CBSA will never question it and hold up a shipment. Ebay's global program is horrible, expensive and error-ridden. I bought a Sansui TU-999 from a nice guy in Iowa. I paid a couple hundred bucks....the shipping and brokerage from Ebay's global shipping service was $138.00! In US funds! Nuts. Luckily Ebay couldn't figure out how to bill the seller so he voided the sale and we conducted business separately and he shipped to my US warehouse. For $23.00 with insurance.

Ebay's global shipping program is designed to do one thing really well; make Ebay and contractors a ton of money. Avoid it like the plague.

And good luck as a vendor through Ebay....if they choose not to pay you, you have little recourse...they make up their own rules. They can be very nasty folks.

This exactly the reason they were refused shipment.

If you describe tubes like RF , Radio, transmitter, receiving tubes they will be stopped and not just by Pitney Bowes- by TSA. Those references are security triggers that the TSA and Military Agencies see as threat in the form of communication systems or air defense controls like radios used to subvert lawful or military radio frequency communications or defense systems.

Use " Home Stereo replacement parts or vacuum tubes" that will give you a better chance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:09 am 

Description.... tubes for my stereo.... no issues, ever...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:18 am 

My genalex tubes are from Russia and they had no problem coming through.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:31 am 

Really good info here, thanks for sharing!