Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm 

Anything of interest here:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... uum_tubes/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

It's all conjecture until the truth is found.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 pm 

I keep global shiping program very far from ANY transaction on Ebay, they are slow,expensive, and very creative when it comes to duties and brockage fees. too avoid absolutely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm 

zidane wrote:
magman888 wrote:
I was going to buy them from China, to save a few $'s, but thought, mistakenly, that buying from US would be less hassle... couldn't be more wrong :?

Well, then you have to wait 2 months to get it.

Yes, I ordered a laser transport, it took 2 months to get to me. Ebay seller told me is because Canada is a big country that's why it took this long.

I have ordered from eBay, items shipping from China. Prior to ordering ask them if they can expedite. i bought some small motorcycle parts, paid about $2-$3 extra. Or try Ali Express, asked the seller the same thing.

By going this route I've received my items typically in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:47 am 
Premium User

I recently purchased a pair of United Electronics 596 Rectifier Tubes. They were sent via the Global Shipping nonsense. They were stopped in Kentucky at one of their trans shipment points and they refused to send them to me in Canada. No explanation on why a 60 year old tube was contraband. The seller was shocked but I received a fairly prompt rebate for about 95% of the purchase. The remainder of the funds were kept with no explanation. I had no recourse. I won't purchase tubes any longer if the seller uses the Pitney Bowes Service.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 am 

watchdog507 wrote:
I received a fairly prompt rebate for about 95% of the purchase.

You're fortunate to have lost only 5% of your payment. IMHO, Pitney Bowes is defrauding us (with eBay and PayPal's assistance). Carefully read the Global Shipping Program Agreement that you enter into when you make your purchase on eBay - you are agreeing to allow them to cheat you, with no recourse.

Certain Canada Post transactions also involve Pitney Bowes. When you purchase online shipping labels, Pitney Bowes is stuck in the middle of it. If something goes awry between paying online for postage, and printing the label, you can click a button to void the label and receive a refund. This happened to me several years ago, and I am still waiting for the refund. Canada Post will not take any responsibility, and it is impossible to contact Pitney Bowes - a shameful situation for Canada Post to be involved in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am 

Thank god tubes aren't from north korea........outch.

That Global Ebay system is a way to collect some import taxes to who? Canada? US?

I got lucky to buy last month I bought a Sound Tech test set and it went through this Ebay global system I had to pay $20 upfront.
Discussing this with the seller , he said we could have went the deal directly with USPS. I didn't ask him at first.

Next buy will ask to have the Global system bypass if possible.

But things are going to be more difficult as more and more corner street business closes because we all buy direct
on internet and they will find a way to tax us buyers......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:37 am 

if when listing come out . the seller took glabal shiping option. he cannot back down. and when paying with paypal no way to pay for item without paying the duties and global shiping. the only way out is to ask seller to relist item, without global shiping , and most state shiping price in listing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Unless they are something rare or unusual why buy tubes on Ebay. There are many legitimate tube sellers, that test and guarantee their product, that buying on ebay is risky, expensive and frustrating.
All the sellers i use ship USPS (from US) or Canada Post or EMS (from Asia), bypassing most of the charges, and have their own websites with direct contact info.
If you don't want to pay Ebay/Pitney charges let your wallet speak for you. Buy elswhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 am 

^^^^^^^100%^^^^^^^^

-- 24 Sep 2017 19:38 --

dtsaudio wrote:
Unless they are something rare or unusual why buy tubes on Ebay. There are many legitimate tube sellers, that test and guarantee their product, that buying on ebay is risky, expensive and frustrating.
All the sellers i use ship USPS (from US) or Canada Post or EMS (from Asia), bypassing most of the charges, and have their own websites with direct contact info.
If you don't want to pay Ebay/Pitney charges let your wallet speak for you. Buy elswhere.

^^^^^^^ 100% ^^^^

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 am 

magman888 wrote:
I ordered a back up quad of KT88's from an Ebay dealer (huge +ve feedback) from the States, all goes well untill I receive this email from Ebay this morning -

"RESTRICTED ITEM
Dear Mark,
We are writing to inform you that your recent GSP transaction from shurefire cannot be completed.
The item was stopped at the Global Shipping Centre, and has been restricted from international shipment. The item will not be shipped forward to its final destination."

WTF :?: :?:

I didn't know Shurefire sells tubes. From the look of it, your shipment was restricted because it came from the Shurfire which deals with military-related products http://www.surefire.com/ I could be wrong!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

As some of you know I import/export in my business. I have seen quite a number of strange things occurring at the border, especially after DHS came into being. A prime example. Buy a knapsack to send your kid to school; no problem importing from the States....but describe that backpack as "tactical" (anywhere in its name or description) and DHS steps in...and it is banned. if the KT-88s were Sovtek, they might have been caught under the "military" descriptor....or, as it has been said before, it might be a safety issue.

All full-service couriers are focused on the most rapid, trouble-free (for them, that is) delivery of your goods. If they are not sure of the correct HS code, they will always input the one that is dutied at the highest rate...why? Because CBSA will never question it and hold up a shipment. Ebay's global program is horrible, expensive and error-ridden. I bought a Sansui TU-999 from a nice guy in Iowa. I paid a couple hundred bucks....the shipping and brokerage from Ebay's global shipping service was $138.00! In US funds! Nuts. Luckily Ebay couldn't figure out how to bill the seller so he voided the sale and we conducted business separately and he shipped to my US warehouse. For $23.00 with insurance.

Ebay's global shipping program is designed to do one thing really well; make Ebay and contractors a ton of money. Avoid it like the plague.

And good luck as a vendor through Ebay....if they choose not to pay you, you have little recourse...they make up their own rules. They can be very nasty folks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:39 pm 

I just received my tubes bought on ebay but shipped usps and not global shipping, 3 nos tubes and 2 genalex gold lion kt88. Paid and extra $35 for our nice government.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 am 

Very odd. I just received a large shipment of 5AR4 and12AU7 tubes a week ago, and although they were in customs for a week I received them (with a tax charge). RCA and Mullard brands coming from the US.

Are these some of those mercury-filled ones? I don't understand, never heard of this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:19 am 

What brand tubes were they? (Russian by chance?) If so, I suspect some clerk somewhere saw they were from Russia and had a stroke over it leaving the USA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next