Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

Hi, Audio Geniuses of CAM!

Here is a long-burning question I've had I would love some direction on... I have dipped into the lower (lowest?) end of the tube spectrum, with the acquisition of one each of an MP-301 Gen I (the Darkness!) and MP-301 Gen II, and I could not be more thrilled especially when hitting the right notes through some intrepid tube rolling. And I also picked up an APPJ (Minwatt) fleawatt-sized tube amp. All very satisfying, if not overly punchy. I realize these models denote the entry level of the tube amp spectrum, yet they have delighted me in the various applications I have put them through.

NOW, I wish to set up a rig like this – take my ADCOM 535 or a 545 (I have both) or even my Rotel 1312 which I believe can be bypassed (it's preamp can be bypassed, methinks) for "amp-only".

So in other words, I have the SS power, and I want to mate this SS power with a tube pre.

What should I be looking for? – keeping in mind I am no Rockefeller. Or Rothschild. I know a tube pre will still need a phono stage (which I don't yet have) to spin vinyl. Any sound suggestions for "the right" tube pre for this contemplated SS pairing would be greatly appreciated! Thank you (again!) folks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am 

Best bang for your buck tube preamp with a phone stage under $1,400 is the Doge 8.

It is however, very tube dependent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am 

http://schiit.com/products/freya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 am 

Based on your requirements, I may suggest taking a serious look at the Modulus Series from Audible Illusions. This design has a long history of yielding superb results on a very reliable platform.

In addition, Modulus pre-amps, include an excellent phono stage (mm), internally.

From a cost perspective, I am aware of Audible Illusions running their Refurbished program through selected dealers whereby a unit may be had at aggressive pricing including warranty.

I own two of these units in my home & cottage and have run them with a plethora of both solid state and tube amps and in all cases, I have not been disappointed.

Hope this helps & Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 am 

I'd consider something like the ifi itube2. It's reasonably priced, has lots of variability in selecting between different sound signatures (SET, PP, classic tube), can be used as a buffer or preamp, from very reputable company, plus it's garnered lots of really positive reviews. When the funds permit you to add a phono stage, the iphono2 is, by all accounts, stellar.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-itube2/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am 

Tube pre and ss amp can be a great combo. Keep in mind that you need a pre that will not be an impedance mismatch with your power amp.

Google is your friend but the general idea is for the pre's output impedance to be between 1/10th and 1/20th (or even 1/50th acc. to some) the input impedance of your power amp.

So decide which power amp you want to use, check the specs to find out the input impedance, do the math, and then look for a pre that has a suitable output impedance.

A tube pre is more likely to have a higher output impedance (than a ss pre), so some of them (e.g. Shindo, AN) will not match up well with lower input impedance ss power amps.

Not a hard combo to put together but just keep this in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:26 pm 

Thank you for this "horn of plenty" of suggestions (I am a horn man!). These recommendations will sharpen my focus. I am looking forward to this on a primal level!

A few new names and a recommend from Francis R that strikes a chord with me particularly re Audible Illusions Modulus. Thank you all. Such excellent suggestions. Spot-on what I was looking for. And the physics as well, re the impedance matching consideration. I would've learned the hard way so thank you for that insight as well, Pierre B AKA Bobby Bittman!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 pm 

Take a drive up to Simcoe Sound and have a listen to the Icon Audio LA4MK3. Scott typically pairs it with Bryston power but I have tried mine with Rotel, Nad and Gryphon with wonderful results. I also used it with a small tube amp with good success.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm 

There is one tube pre that i can say with confidence would fit the bill.
ASL (Audio Sound Lab)MG Head-32 OTL.
I owned one for a year or more before going all SS and this pre was oustanding for value and sound quality not to mention build quality.
I used mine to power a few different SS amps and each time was like having an ear opening experience.
Just my .02 cents.
Good luck to the Op on his tube journey.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 pm 

pierre_b wrote:
Tube pre and ss amp can be a great combo. Keep in mind that you need a pre that will not be an impedance mismatch with your power amp.

Google is your friend but the general idea is for the pre's output impedance to be between 1/10th and 1/20th (or even 1/50th acc. to some) the input impedance of your power amp.

So decide which power amp you want to use, check the specs to find out the input impedance, do the math, and then look for a pre that has a suitable output impedance.

A tube pre is more likely to have a higher output impedance (than a ss pre), so some of them (e.g. Shindo, AN) will not match up well with lower input impedance ss power amps.

Not a hard combo to put together but just keep this in mind.

This is a prescient post that should not be overlooked..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 am 

If you don't need a remote, Decware make one of the best pre-amps I have ever heard.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html