Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:33 am 

Please define a 'normal amp'???[/quote]
Not a KR amp :)[/quote]

It's what makes it 'special'... :idea:

Lamborghini is not a 'normal' car!!! :lol:[/quote]
I do run a KR Antares amp..very nice amp with a lot more current than a 300b which is the closest equivalant..puts out roughly 14w class A, might get exciting if I threw a regular 300b tube in :shock:
I run the 842VHD tubes.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 am 
Premium User

vonclod wrote:
I do run a KR Antares amp..very nice amp with a lot more current than a 300b which is the closest equivalant..puts out roughly 14w class A, might get exciting if I threw a regular 300b tube in :shock:
I run the 842VHD tubes.

I had a KR Antares amp and was so impressed by the 842VHD tube that I had my Pearl Monoblocks modified so they would accept that tube.

I have a pair in each amp which are outputting 25watts per channel.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
vonclod wrote:
I run the 842VHD tubes.

I had a KR Antares amp and was so impressed by the 842VHD tube that I had my Pearl Monoblocks modified so they would accept that tube.

I have a pair in each amp which are outputting 25watts per channel.

Me likey 8)
What did you have to do to the Pearl's to run 842s?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:55 am 

Hi,

Wow! Getting back to the OP's ask to us. I checked out the on-line user manual for the McIntosh 275 and was astonished to see that there is no user bias adjustment possible. Is it possible to sell a $4000 tube amp without any user bias settings? Is this a strategy to keep the owner returning to the dealer for an annual tune-up? Were the original versions of the 275 also user bias free or just the newer versions?

It doesn't even indicate in the manual that the newer version is autobias. If it is autobias than any KT88 will work fine, and anyway McIntosh doesn't make tubes, but they may rebox tubes made elsewhere under their label. It's like T-shirts. You can buy them with a Nike logo emblazoned on the back and pay three times the price of another logo, but they are all made by about three off-shore firms that don't even bother to sell manufactured stuff under their own proprietary 'label'.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:25 am 

Hi,

Any Sunday morning McIntosh guys want to weigh in with a comment or two for this poster? The thread got a bit off-centre.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:07 am 

What I find weird about this 'my Kt88 is different than their KT88', is that the number of a tube is meant to underwrite the specification of the tube type. Certain voltage, bias etc.
Once you manufacture a tube by number with different specs, it is no longer that tube.
If tube amp manufactures have custom tubes by unknown sources built with specs that differ than the book specs, they should be assignng a -1, -2. Or -a, -b etc. This is how you will see some tubes listed in tube catalogs, and on tube tester data logs to set the machine to test a certain tube. This may be the case for the tubes in discussion, but the information may be yet uncovered.

The specification of a tube also includes physical dimensions of the pin base. Pin length, diameter included.

Being I grew up testing tubes in my dad's shop for customer's tv and radio equipment, It stumps me a bit on how the physical base part of this op's problem caused any malfunction, unless the tube was defectively built, and a pin cracked the bottom of the socket. It is possible user error during insertion caused some damage to the socket, but the technician chose the route of brand preference. The rest of the story and commentary about a certain KT88 electrical specification differences makes me say hmmmm. There has to be documentation by a 'standard' to set them apart from each other to prevent confusion. But we are in a different era....user beware.