Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Siemens E88CC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:43 pm 

Just picked it up from the post office. Purchased from a German EBay seller. Popped it into my new Decware SET. Holy smoke what a sweet and detailed tube. Holographic soundstage, beautiful silky highs and organic bass. This tube is having a love affair with my Diana Krall recordings. They should get a room. Well worth the price of admission.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

Post subject: Re: Siemens E88CC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:56 pm 

Which Siemens e88cc did you purchase ?

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Si ... /E88CC.htm

I find 1960's Siemens e88cc's, with a flat bar going up to the getter, sound neutral.

Where as 1970 Siemens e88cc's with an A frame have more warmth and bass weight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm 

Wasn't outrageously expensive, so I suspect not super rare. But still sounds delightful.

Attachment:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 251.68 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 pm 

milesian wrote:
Just picked it up from the post office. Purchased from a German EBay seller. Popped it into my new Decware SET. Holy smoke what a sweet and detailed tube. Holographic soundstage, beautiful silky highs and organic bass. This tube is having a love affair with my Diana Krall recordings. They should get a room. Well worth the price of admission.
I love all the Siemens tubes I have. Usually very neutral, no bloat and as you said very 3d. If you're looking for more they can sometimes be bought cheaply if you search for RCA 6dj8 made in Germany. I alternate Between My Siemens and Amperex Gold Pin ecc88 in my original Audible Illusions Modulus preamp and love them both. The Amperex has a bit more sweetness, But the clarity on the Siemens is Outstanding. I've never compared them to Tele's but I can't imagine them being much better. The Gold pin Amperexes are a big step up from the standard Amperexes that I've tried in my preamp. Tektronix screened 6dj8's are usually awesome tubes. They are sourced form different manufacturers and heavily screened. I don't know why but the 10 or so of them I have all rank up with the best 6dj8's I have. They used to be available very cheap, But the last I checked a few months ago, they were going for about $20 on EBAY.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 pm 

milesian wrote:
Wasn't outrageously expensive, so I suspect not super rare. But still sounds delightful.

Yes these are 1960's Siemens & Halske E88CC's. They have ribbed bar holding up the getter.
A very Neutral sounding tube with low distortion.
Quite frankly - I can't hear the difference between a 1960's Siemens ecc88 (6dj8) and a Siemens e88cc (6922).
As JMStrick pointed out, many 1960's Siemens were inked RCA, they were also inked Raytheon.
The ink on all of them rubs off very easily.

You can always tell if they are the real deal because of the codes on the getter support.

If the price was reasonable, suggest you buy a few more.

jmstrick812 wrote:
But the clarity on the Siemens is Outstanding. I've never compared them to Tele's but I can't imagine them being much better. The Gold pin Amperexes are a big step up from the standard Amperexes that I've tried in my preamp. Tektronix screened 6dj8's are usually awesome tubes. They are sourced form different manufacturers and heavily screened. I don't know why but the 10 or so of them I have all rank up with the best 6dj8's I have. They used to be available very cheap, But the last I checked a few months ago, they were going for about $20 on EBAY.

The one pair of Telefunken tubes I have - are ribbed plate 12ax7 - and they sound much brighter than Siemens 12ax7's.
The Telefunken's put too emphasis on the High Frequencies for my system.

All the Tektronix inked tubes I have are Amperex PQ 6922 - made in USA - with a large getter.
Some people really like this tube.
but prefer the sonics of 1960's Amperex tubes with a small getter - Holland.
Don't care for 1960's Amperex tubes with an A frames at all.

Last edited by Uunderhill on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:51 am 

I'm also waiting on a 1974 Reflector silver shield 6n23p from Ukraine. Should be interesting to compare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:41 am 

8) I've gathered many E188CC (7308) and E88CC (6922) during my tube craze. And yes Amperex would be more lively and Siemens precise and neutral.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:36 am 

milesian wrote:

So you pay to watch, eh? Maybe you shouldn't be outing yourself here :)
Yes, I've had a lot of luck with Siemen's tubes as well...too bad they're pretty much priced into the stratosphere these days...
b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 am 

mantisory wrote:
milesian wrote:

So you pay to watch, eh? Maybe you shouldn't be outing yourself here :)
Yes, I've had a lot of luck with Siemen's tubes as well...too bad they're pretty much priced into the stratosphere these days...
b

8) Haven't given attention to prices in the last few years. Checked on ebay today for Siemens E188CC : 260$ each !!! :shock: I've got a boxfull of this stuff in a closet. I've got to fund a motorcycle trip to Norway. Well, maybe Mr.Siemens could be a sponsor ! :lol: