Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 am 

Before anyone directs me to the nationwide repair service thread, I've already consulted it. I'd like to know if anyone has had anything repaired by Joseph at Radio Hovsep on Park Ave? We spoke on the phone and he seems charismatic and knowledgable. His name came up once in aforementioned thread, positive comment. Reviews elsewhere were less glowing. Anyone else dealt with him? Can anyone suggest someone who works on vintage tube amps in or around Montreal?

Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:58 am 

I have heard good things about this guy , Sam
http://www.samsaudiolabs.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am 

JFraser wrote:

Yeah, I've been to his website and read about his work, never heard any of it, though I get the feeling he's more into custom mods than repair work. I suppose I could call and find out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:46 am 

Precautious D wrote:
JFraser wrote:

Yeah, I've been to his website and read about his work, never heard any of it, though I get the feeling he's more into custom mods than repair work. I suppose I could call and find out.

I bought some gear off a guy on the west island a few years back and he was a die hard tube guy , all his work was done by that Sam guy , said he was great . So that is the extent of my knowledge on that subject .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm 

There is a hight-end audio boutique ( forgot the name ) located a short distance from HOLVSEP on St-Hubert street between Bellechasse and Beaubien where your repair needs will be handle in a more professionel manner where a better communication among the parties leaves one with a more secure sens of things to be done and price to be expected..... I feel going with old timer Joseph is more of an adventure as he seems to be showing little patience towards explaining things as it where.... since cost is bound to be similarely expensive at both places I prefer the one where my concerns will be properly acknowleged and answerd to from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm 

pboutin wrote:
There is a hight-end audio boutique ( forgot the name ) located a short distance from HOLVSEP on St-Hubert street between Bellechasse and Beaubien where your repair needs will be handle in a more professionel manner where a better communication among the parties leaves one with a more secure sens of things to be done and price to be expected..... I feel going with old timer Joseph is more of an adventure as he seems to be showing little patience towards explaining things as it where.... since cost is bound to be similarely expensive at both places I prefer the one where my concerns will be properly acknowleged and answerd to from the start.

Thanks for the reply. Like I mentioned in my original post, I spoke with Joseph over the phone and though I don't doubt he's knowledgable and experienced, my instincts told me he seemed a little cantankerous. Now having said that, sometimes that type of person is no BS and shoots straight, which ultimately is more important than my customer experience, IMO. I'll try to look up the name of the other place you mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 pm 

between beaubien and bellechasse it would be radio St-Hubert. Nice place. Audiophonie is also very close, on st-hubert, south of bellechasse. They cary lot of tube gear, for what its worth. Not too far away from there (Clark and Beaubien), you also have coup de foudre audio who also cary a lot of tube gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:20 pm 

siver wrote:
between beaubien and bellechasse it would be radio St-Hubert. Nice place. Audiophonie is also very close, on st-hubert, south of bellechasse. They cary lot of tube gear, for what its worth. Not too far away from there (Clark and Beaubien), you also have coup de foudre audio who also cary a lot of tube gear.

Just got off the phone with Radio St-Hubert and no dice, he doesn't want to touch vintage tube equipment. Oh well, the search goes on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:12 pm 

Filtronique has a service department. Their tech Joseph Aklian works regularly on vintage equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm 

PM sent...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 pm 

Audiophonie est effectivement le nom de la place, ils offrent egalement un service de reparation a meme les lieux, electronique, tubes, etc,.... ils ont ma preference si je m' attend d'eux qu'ils m' explique la nature du probleme et des types de solutions existantes a le resoudre ou si je m'attend a un rapport detaille du travail execute sur la facture finale.... ce qui fut deja le cas lorsque j'avais un amplificateur a tube moderne de $6,000 a faire reparer. Sans ses soucis ou pour le "vintage" en general Holvst sur Avenue du Parc est tout a fait recommandable d'apres mon experience..... il connait bien son metier, il est ouvert depuis 60 ans apres tout.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm 

pboutin wrote:
Audiophonie est effectivement le nom de la place, ils offrent egalement un service de reparation a meme les lieux, electronique, tubes, etc,.... ils ont ma preference si je m' attend d'eux qu'ils m' explique la nature du probleme et des types de solutions existantes a le resoudre ou si je m'attend a un rapport detaille du travail execute sur la facture finale.... ce qui fut deja le cas lorsque j'avais un amplificateur a tube moderne de $6,000 a faire reparer. Sans ses soucis ou pour le "vintage" en general Holvst sur Avenue du Parc est tout a fait recommandable d'apres mon experience..... il connait bien son metier, il est ouvert depuis 60 ans apres tout.

Merci beaucoup pour les infos, je m'informerai bientôt et vous tiendra au courant de mon expérience.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:29 am 

Slight thread hijack:

Can anyone speak to the cost/value of a solid state refurb done by Sam Kim and/or Steve? Curious about general observations of others before I part with the $$$...