Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:25 am 

Hello all fellow tube rollers;

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with the Preferred Series Tubes @ thetubestore? I'm thinking of trying the 274B rectifier in my LM-518ia. Has anyone tried this rectifier tube?

Thoughts, impressions?

Thanks,
Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am 

I used a quad of them in my Cary KT88 amp. To my ears, they were actually better than the Gold Lion reissues that they replaced. I don't know about the other types of Preferred tubes, but the KT88's are actually rebranded Penta tubes manufactured by Shuguang.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:26 am 

Here's an interesting article regarding tube rolling with this unit...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-audio-lm-518ia-integrated-amplifier-tube-rolling#SAP49L5Sg5a4K2GT.97

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am 

Thanks for the interesting article tube54.

Has no one else tried these tubes? Please share your experiences.

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:53 pm 

It's been my experience in the past that with the output tubes it's worth the extra outlay but with signal tubes etc, it's best to look at something else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

I have nothing but good experiences with the tube store preferred series tubes.

they are voiced (typically) after some of the better vintage type tubes.

for example, their 6L6's sound quite similar to RCA blackplates...

I have bought their output tubes, pre tubes, and rectifiers. No issues & no hassle returning them if they are defective or noisy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm 

Gentlemen. The op is asking about anyone having any experience with the rectifier tube. The 274A preferred series to be exact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm 

ecclectique wrote:
Gentlemen. The op is asking about anyone having any experience with the rectifier tube. The 274A preferred series to be exact.

With respect, the OP posted this in part:

"I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with the Preferred Series Tubes @ thetubestore"

It's fair to say that anyone's experience with the preferred series tubes generally might be beneficial to the OP.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

Audiois. What rectifier are you currently using in your Line-magnetic?

I believe the Line-magnetic 518 circuit was designed around the 5AR4/GZ34
The original Western Electric 274A or 274B is electrically equivalent to a 5U4GB.
Not that the 5U4 and wouldn't work in the circuit however the 5AR4 has much less voltage sag than the WE 274A or B.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm 

:D
Mike Smith wrote:
ecclectique wrote:

"I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with the Preferred Series Tubes @ thetubestore"

It's fair to say that anyone's experience with the preferred series tubes generally might be beneficial to the OP.

Hey Mike :D :D . Absolutely, it's always a good thing to hear ones experience with modern tube examples and your reference to the small signal tubes in the preferred series would mirror mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm 

Mike Smith wrote:
ecclectique wrote:

Yup...my point as well for sharing.

ALL the "Preferred Series" line up are of similar source and quality. They are also all voiced for a vintage sound and selected to mimic many tubes of days gone without the reliability issues that sometimes follow purchasing elsewhere (used, NOS, etc.) They are very well warrantied and good value for what you get - so, comments about experiences using their tubes in general are relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 am 

Thank you for the replies.

Since I have no experience with the Preferred Series Tubes I did want to receive any experiences that other members had. I was also interested in hearing from anyone whom had direct experience with the Preferred Series 274B rectifier.

ecclectique;

Direct from the website it says: "The Preferred Series 274B tube is a full-wave rectifier that is very similar to the classic 5U4G. This 274B tube's filament draws 2.5A of current. This current draw makes it acceptable for many amps originally designed for a 5AR4/GZ34 tube."

That's why I was curious about this specific tube.

Audiois1st

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm 

Audiois.

RE: tube rectifiers.
The 274b draws about 25% more filament current than a 5AR4/GZ34.
I doubt that would be an issue for the power tranny in the Line-Magnetics however, you would most likely need to re-bias the output tubes if your going to substitute the 5ar4 with a 274b or a 5au4.
Furthermore, the 274b or a 5U4G has more voltage sag than a 5ar4.
Tube rectifiers have frequency sensitive internal impedances that cause voltage loss or "sag" when power demands are high.
Even though there is no signal through the rectifier, the amount of voltage sag can affect the compression, the attack and the dynamics of the sound of the amplifier.
If it were me....I would look at subbing the 5ar4 with an old stock 5ar4 from Mullard, Phillips or RCA.

That said, If you want to give one a go, I would be more than happy to lend you a NOS 5U4GB to satisfy your curiosity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 am 

ecclectique;

I actually do have an old stock 5ar4 from Mullard. I just thought that the 274B Preferred Series Tube from the thetubestore looked interesting and wondered if any CAMmers had already tried it.

I more or less understand the "sag" you described. I'm merely curious about the tube in question. I've really enjoyed tube rolling since getting my Line Magnetic 518ia.

Would you agree or disagree with thetubestore in saying "This current draw makes it acceptable for many amps originally designed for a 5AR4/GZ34 tube."

Thanks,
Audiois1st

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

Hi Audios.

In regards to the Tube Store quote: This current draw makes it acceptable for many amps originally designed for a 5ar4/gz34 tube.
The key words in the quote is "acceptable for many amps". Is that supposed to mean it can be direct sub for any amplifier circuit that employs a 5AR4??
While I am pretty sure it will work in your amplifier however, that circuit was designed and spec'd for a 5AR4 to drive those big-ass 845 DHT's whereby the voltage sag will surely have an influence sonically at the output.

Yeah, I know it looks pretty cool and doesn't cost an arm & a leg to check it out however, I can guarantee you that your old stock mullard gz34 will relegate it to the trash can within 3 bars of music! That would also include the stock rectifier that came in your Line-Magnetics.

The 5ar4/GZ34 has long been considered the best vacuum diode ever produced mainly because it has less sag than all the others and has proven to be the most stable and reliable out in the field. Those old Mullard GZ34's typically last a lifetime. l'm still use a Phillips metal base GZ34 that was made in 1959, came out of my uncles Marantz 8 that he purchased new in 1959. Have used it in scores of different amplifiers since 1967.

Sad to say, but many people believe that the rectifier has no bearing to the sound of their tube gear just because it isn't in the signal path.
Readily apparent when comparing my WE 274b or RCA 5u4G to an old Mullard or Phillips 5ar4 in most any amplifier regardless of whether it was designed around the 5AU4 or 5AR4.

Demonstrated many many times and the GZ34/5AR4 wins out every time.

That said: If you decide on giving the preferred series 274b a go.... I am located about 1/2 way between you and the tube store...... be sure to stop by.
I have an old stock Western Electric 274B, and numerous nos 5U4's,5U4g, 5u4GB that your more than welcome to borrow for your tube rolling exercise.