Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:05 am 

triathleteman wrote:
What did you replace?

I replaced the Tung Sol stock 12AU7 tubes which werent that bad honestly. I followed a friend's advice who has the same pre amp. The difference was immediate and significant with the Psvane.

I have to be careful because in my room, the bass can resonate if too deep so I need to have just the right fit and I believe these will probably (I hope) be a winner if they stay pretty much like that through the next 75-100 hours. I also did notice added punch in the highs, things I hear differently now, hi hats, cymbals, percussion (snare and cow bells and stuff like that).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:01 am 

When you look at a modern 12ax7 tube it is really hard to justify these prices (even though the right tube can make a huge difference). I can see supply and demand issues with genuine NOS tubes but someone is making a lot of money at $100 US/pair for 12ax7 tubes. Some of the boxes these come probably cost more to make.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 am 
Premium User

RandyB wrote:
When you look at a modern 12ax7 tube it is really hard to justify these prices (even though the right tube can make a huge difference). I can see supply and demand issues with genuine NOS tubes but someone is making a lot of money at $100 US/pair for 12ax7 tubes. Some of the boxes these come probably cost more to make.

What tubes do you use, which have you tried?

Tubes are part of the electrical circuit, and just like any cap, cable, or transformer has an effect on the circuit and therefore sound.

$100USD for a pair of tubes is reasonable when compared to vintage old stock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:09 am 

triathleteman wrote:
RandyB wrote:

What tubes do you use, which have you tried?

Tubes are part of the electrical circuit, and just like any cap, cable, or transformer has an effect on the circuit and therefore sound.

$100USD for a pair of tubes is reasonable when compared to vintage old stock

I agree that tubes (as well as caps) have a large effect on the sound and the signal tubes do last a very long time so in some ways it can be viewed as a bargain with the caveat that it works as well as one hopes in one's system. I was merely commenting on the visuals of these small tubes that look like they cost a few cents to make (once you are up and running and yes i understand r&d costs and economies of scale). The way they are often presented in fancy packaging makes me feel like I'm getting screwed over like I'm getting a light bulb presented in a diamond ring box. Just the way the hobby is I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:40 am 

RandyB wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:47 am 

RandyB wrote:

I do not like the US$100 price tag neither, and agree fancy packaging is not necessary, but if a new 12ax7 sounds almost as good as US$200 NOS, why sell it at $50 and have less money for R&D, there are always $20 new 12ax7 tube available, if one want to spend less money.
Soon or later, we will run out of top quality NOS tubes, should be glad some company is putting in time and effort to develop new excellent sounding tubes, so we can continue to enjoy music with tube equipment, when more company can easily produce new tubes that surpass top quality NOS, the price of TOTL NOS will come down, so will TOTL new tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:29 am 

Call it personal preference but I like the sound of German and Dutch tubes. The careful and informed audiophile (and let me repeat the words CAREFUL AND INFORMED) can find NOS or slightly used tubes for the same or less money than the modern "treasures" that will out perform these Russian and Chinese tubes that have been hyped so much lately. This is my 2 cents for what it's worth. My best advice is, if you find some NOS/near NOS tubes you like, buy another pair to put in your collection, because without doubt, there will come a day when they're just not available. Thankfully that day is not here yet.

p.s. - some of the European tubes are rated for 10,000 hours minimum and will give you years and years of listening enjoyment.