Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 am 

While perusing a thread in December started by dmitchell regarding 12AX7 tubes, Voodoo Funk mentioned the Shuguang Custom 12AX7 LS tube.

Curious, I ordered a pair to try out in my phono stage (Croft RIAA). I had a pair of Mazda ECC83 in there, and I was very happy with them.

Right out of the box the Shuguang's were more revealing than the Mazda's (something I didn't think possible). However, after a couple days of listening, they began to sound terrible! The highs became very thin, and they became very noisy. I opened up my phono stage to see if they were failing but, being black, I couldn't see anything!? :roll:

So I kept listening to them, hoping that a longer burn-in period would change things.

Just when I was about to put the Mazda's back in again (~100 hours), did things ever change! I have to say that these are my new favourite 12AX7 tubes!

Nice call Voodoo Funk!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 am 

good to know...what price range are these?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:49 am 

That is a very interesting progression on the burn-in Norm. Can you explain the "noisy" part? How did this manifest itself, hiss, hash, something else?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:56 am 

Do these sound better than Psvane treasures?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:18 am 

libor wrote:
good to know...what price range are these?

Intro pricing of $99 USD per pair from Grant Fidelity. Looks like these tubes are a prototype run and they are looking for customer feedback prior to launch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 am 

that is encouraging news.....wonder if their 12AU7 and 6922s are also good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 am 

I just tried to buy two pairs at the introductory price but of course paypal is down for me. I'll have to try again later. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:48 am 
Premium User

I followed the same thread and ordered Mine a few weeks ago......not here yet but I have their standard treasure II so I will do a comparison on these new "triple mica black bottle" tubes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:50 am 

Demerara wrote:
That is a very interesting progression on the burn-in Norm. Can you explain the "noisy" part? How did this manifest itself, hiss, hash, something else?

Hard to explain. Kind of faint staticy, hiss-type of sound?

-- 06 Jan 2017 20:03 --

anthemman wrote:
Do these sound better than Psvane treasures?

I had the Psvane 12AX7-TII (if that's what you're referring to) in my phono stage prior to the Mazda's. I thought the Mazda ECC83 outperformed them, but the Shuguang are a very noticeable step up from the Mazda's.

Over the weekend, if I have time, I'll try popping the Psvane's back in and compare them directly against the Shuguang's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm 
Premium User

Just put a pair of Shuguang Custom LS ($99 USD Grant Fidelity) into my Unico Nuovo.

I removed the PSVANE Treasure II which did have appropriate burn in and listening time.

Noticed a couple things:

1. Brighter - lots of high hat on Miles Davis - Kind of blue, and crash cymbal on White Stripes Icky Thump. I have Totem Dreamcatchers so they are described as "bright" by some, I didn't think so with the treasured but understand why with the Shuguang.

2. Bass is way, way, waaaaaaaaaay deeper and tight as sh!t. Think of a live rock concert, when they are doing last sound check and the tech is kicking that bass drum and after the gate and compressor that sound comes through that speaker array and kicks you right in the chest. Remember that feeling? Yeah I get that from DREAMCATCHERS.

3. Clarity - switched direction a bit - went with PALLADIO (strings from DeBeers diamond commercial), its as if you can hear each bow hair across the string and the warmth is beautiful. I then switched to Hayley Westenra - May it be (lord of rings) lots of Reverb on her voice which stands 100% apart from background strings and harmony vocals. Finished with Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah, fantastic.

Final verdict:

The Shuguang are a little more forward in the top than the Treasure II, yet have a far lower floor staying tight without any sloppiness. There isn't any listening fatigue, it's not brash or difficult to listen to. There is an inherent clarity without being sterile and losing warmth.

For $135CAD a pair it's a solid purchase that should provide a lot of value for users who are on a modest budget.

If someone wants to give me a pair of NOS telefunken gold pins to try let me know ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19 pm 

Just put a pair of Psvane 12AU7 TII in my Unico Pre. Bass is deeper without loosing definition, getting more spark in the highs... Tubes are young though so it could change a bit but hey, for 99USD (Grant), well worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 pm 
Premium User

Yippedidou wrote:
Just put a pair of Psvane 12AU7 TII in my Unico Pre. Bass is deeper without loosing definition, getting more spark in the highs... Tubes are young though so it could change a bit but hey, for 99USD (Grant), well worth it.

I just pulled those out lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm 

I don't have any real experience with tube rolling but just this week picked up a pair of Telefunken ECC83/ 12AX7 smooth plate diamond bottom tubes for my phono pre from a local cam member. wasn't sure what to expect but wow, everything, except the unwanted background noise with the stock tubes, is more vivid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 am 

triathleteman wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:

Yes I know... Thats why I replied...lol.. perception is reality but not the same for each one of us... and synergy is key.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 am 
Premium User

Yippedidou wrote:
triathleteman wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:

Yes I know... Thats why I replied...lol.. perception is reality but not the same for each one of us... and synergy is key.

What did you replace?