Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14 pm 

Having decided that I prefer EL34s in my first tube amp (Musical Paradise MP-301) I'm considering making a small splurge. I'm not about to go nuts, but I'd like to see how good the amp can sound for a reasonable outlay. So far, I have a set of Tung-Sol EL34 B, which a couple of reviews touted as a good choice. I like them, but wonder if there's maybe a bit more sparkle or detail to be had.

The SED Winged C seem to be well regarded, but at $60 US apiece, they're going to be over $200 Canadian with taxes and shipping. For the same amount, or not much more, I could get a good set of used Mullards or Siemens off the bay. Is there anything to be gained by going for the more expensive stuff, or should I just stick with the Tung-Sols and JJs?

I would prefer to stick with actual EL34s. I bought a set of Shuguang Treasure KT-88s in a Black Friday sale and don't like them nearly as much as the EL34s. So, for now, only real pentodes please.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 pm 

How many hours are on the kt88s,they are going to need some time to sound good.Gold Lion or Psvane all make nice sounding tubes but you need to use them for at least 50 hours or so for them to start sounding good.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:27 pm 

Not many hours on the KT-88s - only about two or three actually. Since the amp is technically a Christmas present, I've had to surrender it for wrapping. My wife let me have it for "testing" for couple of days, but now it's back in the box until Christmas. The place really needs a pouty-face emoji.

The EL34s got a fair bit more time on them, because I greatly preferred them. They seem a lot sweeter and more musical, and what I had imagined a tube amp would sound like. The KT-88s seemed flatter, without offering anything else in compensation. I wasn't aware of the need for burn-in with tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:29 pm 

If you want a little more sparkle in top end I would suggest Genelex KT77.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL34- ... -Lion-KT77

These will require some burn in time also, they sound horrible right out of the gate but bloom within a few hours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 pm 

So it's hard to know what I have then, without a reasonable amount of burn-in, seems to be what I'm hearing. That's a bit disappointing, because I was all wound up to go order some tubes. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:06 pm 

Yes, the new Gold Lion KT77's are pretty good for a new tube. But still won't hold a candle to a good NOS Siemens, Mullard xf2,xf1, Telefunken, etc. Nice thing about your amp is you only have to buy 2 power tubes to try different flavours!!

As with most amps, the bigger differences are going to be heard in changing the preamp tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:12 pm 

so is this an original mp301?

imo a few hours on the kt88's is enough to "burn them in" .... I'm not a big believer in tube burn in. don't much like kt88's either.

kt77's is an option as is the kt66.

but I'd say give what you have more time and remember the biggest tonal change can be found (again imo) in the preamp/driver tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:39 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
so is this an original mp301?

imo a few hours on the kt88's is enough to "burn them in" .... I'm not a big believer in tube burn in. don't much like kt88's either.

kt77's is an option as is the kt66.

but I'd say give what you have more time and remember the biggest tonal change can be found (again imo) in the preamp/driver tubes.

It's the MP301 Mk3.

Are KT77s and KT66s that much different from KT88s, and if so in what ways?

I've had tube guitar amps in the past, and always thought of the input tubes as being more important to the sound, although that's a whole different kettle of fish, because of the levels of distortion deliberately at play. Once I started reading about audio tube amps, the more common opinion seemed to be that the output tubes are more important, which was at odds with my existing beliefs, but since I'm new to this, I'm still going off other people's opinions.

So far, on the input side, I have the metal Ken-Rad 6SH7s that came with the amp. I didn't care for them because they produced a hum. I also have some NOS 6SJ7GTs I got off eBay. I have some Sylvanias and some Raytheons. The Sylvanias are livelier with better detail, so that's what I listened to most. Has anybody tried the EF86s on adapters with this amp? What are they likely to be like compared to the 6SJ7s, assuming good examples of the breed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

Lethargy wrote:
So it's hard to know what I have then, without a reasonable amount of burn-in, seems to be what I'm hearing. That's a bit disappointing, because I was all wound up to go order some tubes. :P

You probably do need some more hours on the KT88's but since they are a different flavour to the EL-34's you may have already found your preference. That being said, there's nothing wrong at all with adding more tubes to the collection. :D

You may be hooking that amp up to different speakers/headphones down the road, which may like the KT-88 presentation (or KT-77, or 6L6 family).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:03 pm 

You really need to email the guy thats offering the Vintage Tesla's or the old stock Mullard FX2's. There is nothing being manufactured today that are even remotely close.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:11 pm 
Premium User

I've been running a pair of Ken-Rad 6SH7s since I received my MP301 in Sept. No hum at all. Maybe ask MP for a replacement set.

I ordered mine with the following tubes.
6L6 + EL34 and Ken Rads. For me the JJ El34's have a sparkle like no other.

I have rolled these through so far.
1. Psvane KT88 ( already have over 1000 hours on them) I prefer the KT88's in a push pull config versus a SET. The KT88's when in a push pull can throw some decent wattage out and I prefer them for Rock & Roll. EL34 I really like for Jazz and Vocals, guitar ...etc (mid)

2. RCA 1614 well balanced so far. Needed about 20 hours to break in and become clear. (My second Favourite) Note***tube was be altered to be used safely.
3. Stock 6L6 I have listened to them for about 4 hours. Find them mushy , I can't wait to get back to the EL34's from them.
4. Sovtek 5881 ok, similar to the 1614's not as detailed.

I have 4 Psvane EL34 HIFI series on the way from China. ( buying 4 was a deal)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:28 pm 

Gold Lion kt 66's are my favourite in this amp so far, for pre tubes, VISSEAUX 6sj7's . I've tried the ef86 adapters with Winged C's and liked them to. Not so much one was better, different flavours. And kt88's weren't to my taste.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 pm 

Lethargy wrote:
Having decided that I prefer EL34s in my first tube amp (Musical Paradise MP-301) I'm considering making a small splurge. I'm not about to go nuts, but I'd like to see how good the amp can sound for a reasonable outlay. So far, I have a set of Tung-Sol EL34 B, which a couple of reviews touted as a good choice. I like them, but wonder if there's maybe a bit more sparkle or detail to be had.

The SED Winged C seem to be well regarded, but at $60 US apiece, they're going to be over $200 Canadian with taxes and shipping. For the same amount, or not much more, I could get a good set of used Mullards or Siemens off the bay. Is there anything to be gained by going for the more expensive stuff, or should I just stick with the Tung-Sols and JJs?

I would prefer to stick with actual EL34s. I bought a set of Shuguang Treasure KT-88s in a Black Friday sale and don't like them nearly as much as the EL34s. So, for now, only real pentodes please.

The SED Winged C willl give you the best of both worlds. They's very transparent, fast and natural sounding tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 am 

I recently rolled in Electro-Harmonics 6CA7 fat bottles in place of my OEM EL34s. They can run a little hotter bias and they sound great so far. The big bottles look great in my rig as well.

I got a matched quad from the TubeStore in Hamilton.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:20 pm 

Just to complicate things, I now have about 30 or maybe 40 hours on the Shuguang Treasure KT-88s and I'm starting to like them more. Maybe it's psychological, but they seem more open in the upper mids. I'm a bit of a skeptic on burn-in, but I am genuinely convinced there has been an improvement.