Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Super Rectifiers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:57 am 

Wow europroducts;

Thanks for the education. I knew tube rectification made a difference in sound but I guess It really depends on the circuit design.

Does anybody actually have any experience with Space-Tech Laboratory's line of Super Rectifiers? Any hands-on experience?

Thanks,
Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:01 am 
Premium User

Personally wouldn't buy anything from Space-Tech Laboratory...read their 'restocking' fees should you decide to return something!!!

Ouch!!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:44 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

EL34 wrote:
Wow, what a dissertation. Ok, you get the PhD. But thanks; very informative.

Where does the CV378 fit into this? And can it be swapped in for the GZ34?

Here is the datasheet for CV378. Compare the specs to other 5v rectifiers and see what works for you.

http://www.tubecollector.org/cv378.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:38 pm 

I use 2 Super Rectifier's, in a few different places, my preamps..Space Tech, or my Modwright, Space Tech DAC as well, also in my Woo headphone amp(the Woo crowd love rectifiers). Can use it anywhere a 5ar4 or 6x5 would go.
One of my friends runs a few..his are modified, he changes tubes in mid stream..you can hear the difference for sure..everything gets a bit fuller and the soundstage get's bigger. I feel the big triodes give the bigger fuller soundstage and the mercury tubes seem to give a bit more air. They have their own power supply's..might be part of the equation. Also love the look.
JM2C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm 

europroducts wrote:
The problem with tube rectifiers is limited current supply (MaxPma). Solid state rectifiers have a much higher capability. It is possible to move to another 5 volt tube with a higher MaxPma, however, always be careful not to use one with a heater current requirement higher than the original, otherwise you could damage the power transformer.

Anyway, everything you could ever want to know about vacuum tube rectifiers below;

Warning: Use extreme caution when working with tube circuits.
Do not do this work if you are not qualified to do it.
The voltages in tube circuits are lethal and can kill you.

...and then there's the damper diodes! :shock:

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:59 am 

vonclod;

Thank you for your hands on experience with Space-Tech's Super Rectifiers. I appreciate your feedback. Anyone else?

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 am 

The difference I heard between my Space tech labs dac with and without super rectifier was quite substantial.

The variety of different tubes that can be "rolled" is open to many different types of tubes.

As we all know we are all subjective in what we translate as "Hearing the difference". Even in Albert's audition room I brought my Space tech lab DAC to test with his system. Even in a foreign environment you can definitely tell the difference in a more rich lush sound with more "realism" with the Super Rectifier.

Not trying to sound like a cheesy article writer with elaborate adjectives......... The cost is not cheap to purchase the Super rectifier but I did hear a difference. Listening to Melody Gardot, Sarah K and a bunch of other vocals the sweet mids really does make the soundstage more realistic in how it images in my living room. I have no listening room as I'm using my living space to the best of my abilities while trying to maximize my stereo setup.

I want to enjoy music and my wallet dictates a lot of my actions in gear acquisition. I am simply using a Simaudio integrated amplifier and was considering on upgrading. I will have to say after purchasing the Super Rectifier I actually kept my amp instead of buying a different amplifier and have been incredibly satisfied with my simple system. Albert did mention that a good percentage of his followers purchase his super rectifier.

Cosmetic appearance is not one of Space Tech labs strong points. I can imagine my Totem Earths can be bright in some setups. With the Super rectifier and tube dac I think it pairs well with my solid state amp.

Using my Audio Sensibility cabling and blue circle power conditioning I think I've maxed out and squeezed out the best sound possible from my existing gear.

The factory tube rectifier was good but the super rectifier was a big jump in sound. Audio tracks from some meditation/yoga music makes the crashing ocean waves sound real to life while my solid state dac (threw my Burson Virtuoso as an alternative DAC source) sounds overwhelming with an overload of detail making it sound "fake". My space tech DAC and Super rectifier makes vocals more convincing and natural.

In my particular combo the super rectifier was one of the best improvements in making the music more convincing. I honestly couldn't bare to remove the super rectifier from my system. I really do enjoy how it richens the sound. In my system it does not "darken" the sound. The rectifier somehow compliments my system more.

I'd love to add another tube DACS from Albert to my headphone rig. My Burson Virtuoso (non ESS dac chip) is surprisingly enjoyable but testing the Virtuoso with the Space tech lab dac and super rectifier was a huge jump in sound quality with my HD650 and HD800 headphones.

Attachments:
tuberectifier.jpg
tuberectifier.jpg [ 77.65 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
20150613_010549.jpg
20150613_010549.jpg [ 137.43 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:19 am 

Alanu;

Thank you for your hands on experience with Space-Tech's Super Rectifiers. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks also for the pictures.

Anyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:31 am 

I know 2 others that use them, not members here but I can tell you they would not want to take them out of the loop. One actually has 3 of them. I will take a few pics of mine tonight.
As for the finish..I had mine done in Oak to match my pre and it is very nicely done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 am 

vonclod wrote:
I know 2 others that use them, not members here but I can tell you they would not want to take them out of the loop. One actually has 3 of them. I will take a few pics of mine tonight.
As for the finish..I had mine done in Oak to match my pre and it is very nicely done.

I recall Albert made an analogy between stock rectifier vs super rectifier. Power of the Super rectifier is a larger "pipe" vs "stock pipe".

I was extremely close in pulling the trigger into buying a new amplifier. I've yet to buy an new amp because the SQ jump a big notch with the super rectifier.

I do find that a solid state dac has more punch and more dynamic vs super rectifier with Space tech tube dac. However the trade of is a much more fluid analog sound. My example of the recording of an ocean front waves hitting a beach was massively dramatic. I honestly felt water would hit my feet in the living room with the super rectifier / tube dac combo.