Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:54 pm 

Try some great 6L6s. TAD and SED Winged C. Give the new Tung Sol 7581-As a try too. They get one a step closer to that KT 88 crunch without losing the 6L6 tone. As a headphone amp alone I think the MP 301 mk3 is worth the full retail price. Happy listening!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:28 am 

cdn_borne wrote:
I just ordered a quad of Pvsane EL34.

Looking forward to your impressions of them. I've only heard a limited sample so far, but I definitely prefer the EL34 to the KT88 and the 6l6 at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:37 am 

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the MP Amps in use at the house right now.

Attachments:
File comment: Musical Paradise MP-301 6V6
MP-301.jpg
MP-301.jpg [ 191.79 KiB | Viewed 959 times ]
File comment: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3
MP-301MK3.jpg
MP-301MK3.jpg [ 210.77 KiB | Viewed 959 times ]
File comment: Musical Paradise MP-501 V1
MP-501.jpg
MP-501.jpg [ 214.46 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 am 

petersch wrote:
If you can find a ratty or old IEC power cable and snip off the ground lug then use it on the amp, if the hum dissappears I can give you some suggestions otherwise there are other courses of action. I'd rather start another thread for mods as this one is for MP user experience.

Peter, I've started a thread for MP-301 mods. If you'd like to chip in, it would be appreciated.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 23&t=45210

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 pm 

Just got my 301 yesterday. Left Hong Kong 2 days after ordering. Arrived in Ohio a day alter and in bc the day after that.then took twice as long to be delivered across Vancouver. I hate DHL. Anyway, box finally arrived, super excited, pull it out and plug in the tubes and ......... Where is the power cord? my wife and child had to go for a walk while I lost my s**t and swore a lot. Emailed Gary, got a response today from him saying they must have missed putting it in and I probably have a PCs cord I could use at home. What the hell?!?! Went and bought my own cord today so I can finally use it. Plugged in the el34's and the stock 6j8p's and I'm finally enjoying my amp. Sound good so far. Looking forward to getting into tubes!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 pm 

colecj wrote:
Just got my 301 yesterday. Left Hong Kong 2 days after ordering. Arrived in Ohio a day alter and in bc the day after that.then took twice as long to be delivered across Vancouver. I hate DHL. Anyway, box finally arrived, super excited, pull it out and plug in the tubes and ......... Where is the power cord? my wife and child had to go for a walk while I lost my s**t and swore a lot. Emailed Gary, got a response today from him saying they must have missed putting it in and I probably have a PCs cord I could use at home. What the hell?!?! Went and bought my own cord today so I can finally use it. Plugged in the el34's and the stock 6j8p's and I'm finally enjoying my amp. Sound good so far. Looking forward to getting into tubes!

Heh, yeah, there are definite similarities there to my experience. While I am quite happy with the amp now, getting it was a bit frustrating at times. Having it take so long for them to ship it stressed me out that it would get stuck in the holiday shipping crush and it would get lost (and it did, although they found it again) or damaged (and it did). Then there was the horrible service from DHL Canada. Also, the Ken-Rad 6HS7 tubes I paid extra for have a terrible hum and are completely unusable. I didn't even bother contacting Garry about that one, because I got tired of the negative aspects of the experience.

On the whole, it seems to me that Garry is a good guy, and he designs good amps that are a bargain for the price, but maybe his people in Hong Kong are letting him down a bit. I would recommend the MP-301 to friends, but there'd be a lot of caveats and "don't-blame-me-ifs" with regard to the ordering process.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

I agree. I'm digging it now that it's running. The local DHL services are in league with satan. So far I like the stock tubes the best. I bought the el34's with the amp, but they seemed to make everything sound less dynamic. My wife said it sounded foggy so I put in the stock tubes and am liking it better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 pm 

colecj wrote:
I agree. I'm digging it now that it's running. The local DHL services are in league with satan. So far I like the stock tubes the best. I bought the el34's with the amp, but they seemed to make everything sound less dynamic. My wife said it sounded foggy so I put in the stock tubes and am liking it better.

Interesting, as the EL34 tends to get good reviews with this amp, although I have not tried any in mine.
What did you receive as a "stock" power tube?
Mine came with Sovtek 5881/6L6WGC which I used for the first few months and liked. I since however have come to like the 7581A Tung-Sol even more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:49 pm 

I've tried a few different tubes in my MP301 amps and settled on the EL34 myself. The older vintage "coke bottle" 6V6 tubes have such a liquid smooth presentation and are full of that "tubey" sound but they do nothing special with modern speakers. System synergy will definitely be a personal thing with any tube amp.

Attachments:
File comment: Just a few of the Tubes I've tried in the MP301's
PowerTubes.jpg
PowerTubes.jpg [ 233.7 KiB | Viewed 675 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:52 pm 

devon58 wrote:
colecj wrote:

Interesting, as the EL34 tends to get good reviews with this amp, although I have not tried any in mine.
What did you receive as a "stock" power tube?
Mine came with Sovtek 5881/6L6WGC which I used for the first few months and liked. I since however have come to like the 7581A Tung-Sol even more.

Mine came with 6p3p. I was talking to a friend who knows more than me and he asked what records I was playing. I said some rock and some electronic and he said that's the problem. Suggested I play some jazz with the el34. Played A Love Supreme and blammo! Sounded great! Elvin Jones sounded great. The taps on the edge of his snare popped out more and jimmy garrison's bass solo sounded awesome. Seems like I need more and more tubes. Into the rabbit hole!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:50 pm 

I recently purchased an original, used MP-301 that impressed me so much, I ordered a new MP-303. I ordered on the 23rd of December and received it on the 29th. Not bad given the increased shipping over the holidays.

The MP-303 has a smooth upper range with a wonderfully large and textured bottom end. The MP-301 isn't quite on par with my Decware SE84c but it offers a bit of bloom that I can appreciate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:40 am 

Lethargy wrote:
I paid by credit card. If I haven't received it in 30 days, I'll file a charge-back. There's ultimately no danger, just frustration.

That's the best way to protect yourself by paying by cc so you have no worries about losing money. Were it me, I would email musical paradise letting them know I will do a charge back request for non delivery of purchased item. If MP doesn't get back to you with a firm eta for delivery or if they ignore it again, contact your cc company letting them know and cancel the purchase. They will either mediate with musical paradise or whatever they do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:17 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
Lethargy wrote:
I paid by credit card. If I haven't received it in 30 days, I'll file a charge-back. There's ultimately no danger, just frustration.

That's the best way to protect yourself by paying by cc so you have no worries about losing money. Were it me, I would email musical paradise letting them know I will do a charge back request for non delivery of purchased item. If MP doesn't get back to you with a firm eta for delivery or if they ignore it again, contact your cc company letting them know and cancel the purchase. They will either mediate with musical paradise or whatever they do.

Well, yeah, but that was a while ago now. The amp did eventually show up, although it took Garry's people in Hong Kong nine days to get it to the courier. It was a long story, but there was a (more or less) happy ending about three or four pages back. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 am 

petersch wrote:
I've tried a few different tubes in my MP301 amps and settled on the EL34 myself. The older vintage "coke bottle" 6V6 tubes have such a liquid smooth presentation and are full of that "tubey" sound but they do nothing special with modern speakers. System synergy will definitely be a personal thing with any tube amp.

My first post! Hi everyone, I registered just to mingle with MP301 crowd here at CAM. I have the MP301mk3 since 2014 and I've been rolling quite a number of tubes now and my current favorite is GL KT88 + W-C EF86, driving B&WN805 - yes that's right :lol: . My sources are ProJect Carbon DC TT with Schiit Mani and Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry DAC running Moode audio.

Anyway, Peter, I see in your picture you have KT120s, I'm very interested in trying KT120 and KT150 just to have enough headroom with my 805s. Do you think the MP301 power supply can handle the current draw of these tubes? You mentioned you moded your MP301, I'm very interested on what you've done.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 am 

Hi Ferdzb and welcome to CAM !

Another member started an MP301 mod thread here and I have detailed out some of the better mods I've done to improve the little amps. They are really a good amp once you work some of the bugs out of them. I have used KT120 and KT150 tubes in my 301 but the extra 800 ma of current they draw (vs the KT88) translates into more buzz and heat in the transformers and is really out of the design specs for the little MP301 (any version). I've ran them in mine just because I can and I'm not too worried about breaking things since I'm technically inclined. If a person wanted to add another filament transformer it will accept the KT120/150 all day long and sound good doing it!

MP 301 mod thread is here: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45210

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next