Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:

I switched out the stock tubes with a pair of NOS WE 396A's...very easy...stock tubes came with tube dampers!!! Nice touch.

That's the best tube you could possibly roll into that MP-D1 !! You're going to love that DAC. I've gone head to head with my D1 against a MP-D2 and the D2 didn't improve upon things by much. The D2 does beat the D1 in tweak ability and responds extremely well to any change you make from Power cords to Rectifiers to capacitors. The D1 is very refined, analog sounding and is super tweakable if you have soldering experience. The one thing I love about MP is their DACs !!!

My latest MP project is re-doing an older MP501. Ive owned the newer MK3 version but the earlier version is far less noisy and sounds better to my ears. I've made a few circuit changes, rolled in some better tubes and am in the process of rewiring some things. The amp is driving a pair of MG 3.6/R Maggie's and I can't believe my ears !!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:45 am 

petersch wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

I switched out the stock tubes with a pair of NOS WE 396A's...very easy...stock tubes came with tube dampers!!! Nice touch.

That's the best tube you could possibly roll into that MP-D1 !! You're going to love that DAC. I've gone head to head with my D1 against a MP-D2 and the D2 didn't improve upon things by much. The D2 does beat the D1 in tweak ability and responds extremely well to any change you make from Power cords to Rectifiers to capacitors. The D1 is very refined, analog sounding and is super tweakable if you have soldering experience. The one thing I love about MP is their DACs !!!

My latest MP project is re-doing an older MP501. Ive owned the newer MK3 version but the earlier version is far less noisy and sounds better to my ears. I've made a few circuit changes, rolled in some better tubes and am in the process of rewiring some things. The amp is driving a pair of MG 3.6/R Maggie's and I can't believe my ears !!

I'd be interested to see what changes you make and the results. I have a 501 V3 with KT150, 6SJ7 and the WE717's. Love the sound of what the D1 DAC does with this on my digital side. Just picked up a P1 with some interesting tubes and it's equally fantastic complimenting my VPI TT. The synergy between these MP pieces is VERY good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 am 

Just a quick update in the continuing story of my MP-301: If you recall, it arrived with a damaged speaker terminal. I emailed Garry and he got back to me within hours and shipped a new one out right away. It took two days to get from China to Ohio, then it got to Ontario, and . . . DHL lost it. :lol: It's bouncing around various "service areas" right now. It will get here eventually, I'm sure.

In the meantime, though, some other terminals I ordered arrived. Parts Connexion had some Cardas parts on sale for 45 per cent off, so I ordered the least egregiously overpriced set. They were about $30 US, which seems like a lot for a set of speaker terminals, but apparently it is not. It is possible to spend $250 on a set of speaker terminals. Who does that? Anyway, the "cheap" ones I ordered showed up yesterday and I soldered them in. They're very nice speaker terminals, so I guess I've performed my first upgrade.

I hooked the amp up, gritting my teeth and bracing for the worst because I have had a bit of bad luck with this amp so far. To be blunt, my fortunes have been in low ebb in 2016, with less-than-favourable outcomes plaguing me all year. When you're snake-bitten, you're snake-bitten, and sometimes it's best to lay low. I'd come this far, though, and sometimes you have to suck it up, go for broke, and dare to punch the face of God.

Well, things may well be turning around for me, because the amp works perfectly and sounds great. At first, there was a very noticeable hum, which was discouraging, but I swapped out the Ken-Rad 6SH7s for some NOS JAN Sylvania 6SJ7WGTs I had ordered while I was waiting for the amp to arrive, and ditched the 6l6s for the Shuguang Treasure KT-88s I got in the Black Friday sale, and the amp was suddenly dead quiet, except when it was playing music of course. A completely silent amp would be a bad thing.

After a few minutes of happiness, there came a godawful, humming, grinding sort of noise. I temporarily drowned it out with a stream of profanity until I realized it was just my POS old Mac Pro deciding to spin its fans up to max rpm for no particular reason. There is no joy that Apple can't destroy. I had to restart the damned thing to stop its whining for attention.

So, listening to the amp in peace, I find there is a definite difference between this and the solid state amp it replaced. Vocals, particularly female vocals, are much more life-like. Jill Barber now sounds even sexier, which I wouldn't have thought possible. Drums sound more like drums, and cymbals have a more pleasing shimmer. Double bass has a more airy, resonant quality. I don't yet know enough audiophile words to properly describe the difference, but overall, things now have a more pleasing texture, if that makes sense.

I swapped out the KT-88s for some Tung-Sol El-34s (note to self: tubes get hot) and they seem slightly more musical, but maybe a bit less detailed. I'm not yet sure about that. The difference is fairly subtle.

I'll do a more detailed review in the new year, when I've spent some more time with it. My opinion won't matter much to the hard-core veterans around here, but it might be interesting for other tube noobs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:14 am 

Nice to see you're getting some positive results. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:43 am 

Now you can finally enjoy the music, the hassles to get there will be quickly forgotten.
Better speaker connectors can't hurt, that's for sure.

Are you using the Apple as the source of your music, into a DAC, then into your new amp?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:09 am 

My MP301:
WE717, SED 6550.

Hooked up to my computer via the line out. No DAC. Loves the sound. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:19 am 

bikenut wrote:
Are you using the Apple as the source of your music, into a DAC, then into your new amp?

Yeah, FLACs through Audirvana+ into a Micromega MyDAC. It's probably not on par with what many people on here are using, but it's a decent DAC and good bang for the buck for those of us who think in hundreds of dollars rather than thousands or tens of thousands.

I've decided to try out some headphones. First, the Grado RS2s that I used to really like. They're okay with this amp, but I find I don't like them nearly so much since I built the Fostex speakers. They can't match the F120a/t90a combo for detail or dynamics. The Beyerdynamic T70p were a bit better. They're basically a closed Grado, but with better detail, in my opinion. The Etymotic ER4 sounded very good They can be quite hard to drive properly, and tend to really make imperfections in a recording or equipment very obvious. The bottom end is much stronger and more detailed with this amp than with anything else I've used them with before, and the imaging seems better, although I didn't listen long enough to be sure. There is a noticeable hum, but it is reduced significantly by adding in the 75-ohm "S" converter cable.

The cans that have benefited the most, though, have to be my old AKG K240 Sextetts. These are a fairly unique headphone from the 70s with a ring of six passive radiators around the main driver. I've always kind of liked them, but not as much as the true believers. Being 600 ohms, they're hard to drive. With the MP-301, I finally get the hype. The quality of the bass and low mids is very nice indeed. I've EQed in a 3db boost centred around 1,500 hz, and that has made up for a bit of what's lacking in the highs. They are very detailed, with no bad habits. They seem to disappear, in the way that good headphones do, other than they make my ears sweat.

So, on the whole, I would give the MP-301 high marks as a headphone amp.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:33 am 

EL 34's with the MP-301 (MK3) seems to be a match made in heaven. Every EL34 I've run through mine has a magical presentation and was a noticeable upgrade from 6550, 6L6, 6V6 and KT88's. I've plopped in some KT120's for kicks and the winner is always the EL34. Mine is running JJ El34 and the stock Chinese Drivers. I've rolled lots of 6SN7's through it but the Stock drivers have more bass clout and less distortion overall. I'm going to visit my local Stereo shop and see what I can dig up for driver tubes. Also, I have heavily upgraded mine with circuit changes, wiring changes, upgraded components and various tweaks. I solved my hum issue with a few added components and it's now dead silent. My old original 301 (6V6) is still chugging along with a few circuit tweaks and until recently sounded way better than the MK3 301. I'm glad you are enjoying the Bottlehead life :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:47 am 

petersch wrote:
..... I'm going to visit my local Stereo shop and see what I can dig up for driver tubes. Also, I have heavily upgraded mine with circuit changes, wiring changes, upgraded components and various tweaks. I solved my hum issue with a few added components and it's now dead silent.....:)

Peter, 2 questions for you:
1. Is the local Stereo shop 3dB? I am not sure who carries a good selection of tubes around the city.
2. Can you share which few added components solved the hum issue?

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm 

Yes, Jac has a good selection of vintage tubes. As a rule the MP gear has a strange grounding system and I've found this to be the case with more than one piece. If you can find a ratty or old IEC power cable and snip off the ground lug then use it on the amp, if the hum dissappears I can give you some suggestions otherwise there are other courses of action. I'd rather start another thread for mods as this one is for MP user experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm 

petersch wrote:
EL 34's with the MP-301 (MK3) seems to be a match made in heaven. Every EL34 I've run through mine has a magical presentation and was a noticeable upgrade from 6550, 6L6, 6V6 and KT88's. I've plopped in some KT120's for kicks and the winner is always the EL34. Mine is running JJ El34 and the stock Chinese Drivers. I've rolled lots of 6SN7's through it but the Stock drivers have more bass clout and less distortion overall. I'm going to visit my local Stereo shop and see what I can dig up for driver tubes. Also, I have heavily upgraded mine with circuit changes, wiring changes, upgraded components and various tweaks. I solved my hum issue with a few added components and it's now dead silent. My old original 301 (6V6) is still chugging along with a few circuit tweaks and until recently sounded way better than the MK3 301. I'm glad you are enjoying the Bottlehead life :)

I find I'm agreeing with you on the EL34s, even after just a few hours of listening. Despite having the significantly more expensive Shuguang Treasure KT-88s here, the Tung-Sol EL34s are back in. However you describe the difference between SS and tubes, the EL34s seem to have more of it. The 6l6s that came with the amp are back in their boxes, likely for good. The old 6SJ7WGTs (I have Sylvanias and Raytheons) are quieter and sound better to me than the metal Ken-Rad 6SH7s.

I would be interested in any mods you'd care to share for noise reduction. While I had previously described the amp as "dead quiet" now that I have started the dishwasher upstairs, that is no longer the case. I also notice a bit of hum while the furnace is running. It seems to be very sensitive to electrical noise. It's not awful, but it's noticeable.

I agree that it would be best to start a new topic. I'm at the point where I'm now derailing my own thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 pm 
Premium User

petersch wrote:

Peter - Just saw that note. Want to tell you that I found a few dozen 6L6s (coke bottle, straight & steel case) and a bunch of steel-clad 6SJ7s and a box of 6v6s.
All I need to do is remember to bring the SJs to work and get to testing the whole batch.
Are you ready for some bottling?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:13 pm 
Premium User

I throughly enjoy the jj EL34's I ran in my mp 301 with ken-rads

I am currently running RCA 1614 and the ken-rads. The 1614's took a while to break in, but I like them too. Compared to the EL34's they have less sparkle in the midrange but overall more balanced through out the frequency range.

I also tried a pair of pavane hifi kt88's. didn't like them as much in the mp301 as in my music angel kt88 push pull.

I am really glad you are enjoying the amp.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 pm 

Glad to hear you are (finally) enjoying music through the amp.
All you contributing posters have to stop already with the power tube suggestions!
Now must resist impending EL34 purchase...
Seriously, I am currently trying out the Tung-Sol 7581A tubes listening to various 24/96 tunes through K701 phones, and finding very little not to like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:43 pm 
Premium User

I just ordered a quad of Pvsane EL34.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next