Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:00 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Bought a MP - D1MKII and had a few questions to ask Garry...he was more than happy to spend time discussing the unit with me.

I liked it so much I decided to order the MP - D2 (fully balanced) and again contacted Garry to discuss certain aspects of it...and again...Garry was very forthcoming.

My MP - D2 will arrive Friday...really getting excited about it.

I don't know of too many other companies that have such excellent 'public relations'!!! 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:51 am
Posts: 31
Location: Chino Hills, CA, US
petersch wrote:
Hi Ferdzb and welcome to CAM !

Another member started an MP301 mod thread here and I have detailed out some of the better mods I've done to improve the little amps. They are really a good amp once you work some of the bugs out of them. I have used KT120 and KT150 tubes in my 301 but the extra 800 ma of current they draw (vs the KT88) translates into more buzz and heat in the transformers and is really out of the design specs for the little MP301 (any version). I've ran them in mine just because I can and I'm not too worried about breaking things since I'm technically inclined. If a person wanted to add another filament transformer it will accept the KT120/150 all day long and sound good doing it!

MP 301 mod thread is here: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45210


Thanks! I'm headed to that thread now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:31 am
Posts: 42
Location: Thorsby, AB, CA
I would tread very, very carefully with regards to Musical Paradise. A week ago I bought an MP-501. For the 1st week, I thought it was the best amp I ever heard. But then I tried just using the amp section with another preamp. That experience lasted 15 seconds - blew the fuse and 2 resistors. I replaced the fuse and resistors - amp powered up, one tube got very bright, then out goes the fuse again.

This amp is only 4 years old. 2 years ago, it required $800 in repairs - and probably as much this time. That is as much as the amp cost new. I can only imagine what it would cost me over 10+ years.... There is probably Yorx or Citizen stereo equipment that is more reliable!!

Contacted company - no response...

Big deal (printed on amp) made about being designed in Canada, and only assembled in China. But if a Chinese person lives in Canada and designs an amp, does that mean it has Canadian or Chinese quality standards? You decide....

But here is the kicker - apparently Tung Sol is not happy about Musical Paradise using their KT-120 tubes as they do not feel that the amps are designed properly for these tubes.

I bought this amp, in part to support Canadian products in general, but local Edmonton products, in particular. However, my assessment is - price too good to be true. Chinese quality and customer service standards. Avoid Musical Paradise products.....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3528
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
My MP-D2 DAC just short of blew up recently...to make a long story short I worry what might have happened if I was not home at the time. I didn't initially get a response when I reported the problem so I opened a Pay Pal dispute. Luckily I was able to get a resolve after a few weeks. Great sound for the price if it doesn't destroy your gear or start a fire.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
As I also own a MP-D2 I would appreciate it if you were to expand on that story James...I would NEVER leave any tube component on while not around to monitor it!!!

My MP-D2 arrived with a small 'glitch' whereas I had to select the Input each and every time I turned it on...this proved annoying and I emailed Garry about the problem and he promtly send me a new USB board which I installed in 10 minutes.

Since then the DAC has been performing flawlessly...albeit in a '2nd' system as I upgraded to a LampizatOr Big7 in my main rig. :)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 633
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
vintagestereos wrote:
This amp is only 4 years old. 2 years ago, it required $800 in repairs - and probably as much this time. That is as much as the amp cost new. I can only imagine what it would cost me over 10+ years.... There is probably Yorx or Citizen stereo equipment that is more reliable!


Funny, I don't see any mention of warranty listed on the MP website. I think this is a case of wear and tear as a set of tubes is probably part of that $800 and that's $300 per year. Maybe you just found the right person to scam you on repairs?

vintagestereos wrote:

Contacted company - no response...



I've ran into this many times as well. I am a persistent thorn in his side until I get answers. I find Garry is quite helpful but he does travel a lot between China and Canada so you might wish to try more than once. He is a one man company.

vintagestereos wrote:

But here is the kicker - apparently Tung Sol is not happy about Musical Paradise using their KT-120 tubes as they do not feel that the amps are designed properly for these tubes.



What is your source for this? I find it very hard to believe that Tung Sol has an issue with anyone buying their products especially when it's an OEM. If they had an issue they would definitely stop the flow of tubes to MP. They'll even take the KT150 with no issues. Perhaps TS had a bad batch of tubes? I'm speculating as much as you are with my statement.

vintagestereos wrote:

I bought this amp, in part to support Canadian products in general, but local Edmonton products, in particular. However, my assessment is - price too good to be true. Chinese quality and customer service standards. Avoid Musical Paradise products.....


I too bought one and sold it right away as I hated it. I still own one and use an MP501 as my Daily Driver in my main system. The original MP501 has issues that can be corrected by any competent technician for very little cost. Mine is an original V1 and is absolutely stunning in every way but my V3 sucked. If you need any advise or assistance with your (tube) amp feel free to PM or ring me up as I'm old school and been fixing tube gear for over 40 years.

I'm in no way a fanboy of Musical Paradise but the perpetuation of false information to make anyone look poor just rubs me the wrong way. If something genuinely sucks I'll be the first one to chime in and offer information. The MP-P1 is a big steaming pile that never should have seen the light of day and I can go on with technical reasons why. I was never completely looked after by Garry and sold it at a loss and built myself a proper phono stage instead. Every company has stinkers and should be called out but the MP501 isn't one of them.

Since I'm local to you feel to Message me if you need any help with MP

Cheers

_________________
¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:57 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I got ripped off for $1200.00.

Sent a server back to China, when Gary would not get back to my emails. It was supposed to get sent back to Edmonton. When the server arrived in China, Gary did nothing even though he said
he would try to intercept the package in China.

Not happy with his (non) effort!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 am 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3528
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
As I also own a MP-D2 I would appreciate it if you were to expand on that story James

I was listening to music and weird noises started to come from the DAC (originally thought it was from my speakers until I got up and checked.) There was a pop from what I assume was the fuse and the room started to fill with an acrid burning smell. At that point I pulled the plug as the smell was getting worse. Took it to a local shop the next day and it blew every recommended fuse we put in it. I was done with it at that point so back in the box it went.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:05 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
James_W wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
As I also own a MP-D2 I would appreciate it if you were to expand on that story James

I was listening to music and weird noises started to come from the DAC (originally thought it was from my speakers until I got up and checked.) There was a pop from what I assume was the fuse and the room started to fill with an acrid burning smell. At that point I pulled the plug as the smell was getting worse. Took it to a local shop the next day and it blew every recommended fuse we put in it. I was done with it at that point so back in the box it went.


Thanks...

Can you tell us how PayPal resolved this experience to your satisfaction?

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3528
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Can you tell us how PayPal resolved this experience to your satisfaction?

Reported the problem through the PayPal system and he didn't respond. It was then escalated to a dispute where they requested I return the product. Once the item was delivered and signed for they granted me a refund. `


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
James_W wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Can you tell us how PayPal resolved this experience to your satisfaction?

Reported the problem through the PayPal system and he didn't respond. It was then escalated to a dispute where they requested I return the product. Once the item was delivered and signed for they granted me a refund. `


Excellent...so...when are you going to buy a LampizatOr??? 8) :wink:

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 pm
Posts: 92
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
James_W wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
As I also own a MP-D2 I would appreciate it if you were to expand on that story James

I was listening to music and weird noises started to come from the DAC (originally thought it was from my speakers until I got up and checked.) There was a pop from what I assume was the fuse and the room started to fill with an acrid burning smell. At that point I pulled the plug as the smell was getting worse. Took it to a local shop the next day and it blew every recommended fuse we put in it. I was done with it at that point so back in the box it went.


Wow... Not sure what to say, may be this is just plain bad luck.

I own / owned 2 D1s, two D2s, a 501v3, two P1s and a 301. I have yet had any issue with them.

Finger crossed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3528
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Excellent...so...when are you going to buy a LampizatOr??? 8) :wink:

A new preamp is my next purchase then I can sort out the DAC thing. Maybe I could get a Chord Dave and use it as a preamp/DAC.

zidane wrote:
Wow... Not sure what to say, may be this is just plain bad luck.

I own / owned 2 D1s, two D2s, a 501v3, two P1s and a 301. I have yet had any issue with them.

Finger crossed.

Maybe the one I got was just a dud. People reached out to me when they saw I had one and I recommended it to them. Hopefully they have a long, problem free ownership.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
The LampizatOr can be ordered as a DAC/Preamp... :wink:

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group