Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:10 pm 

The middle of last week I decided to try out a tube amp, and based on some fairly good reviews, decided to order an MP-301 from Musical Paradise. I got an automated response right away, but it was quite ambiguous. I heard nothing else from them, so a couple days later I emailed Garry. It took him three days to get back to me, but he provided a DHL tracking number. The problem is that now, eight days later, the DHL status still indicates that nothing has happened beyond the shipping information being received. DHL doesn't even have a package yet. I've emailed again for some sort of clarification, but haven't heard back yet.

Looking around the web, I've found numerous accounts of poor customer service from Musical Paradise and a lack of response. So now I'm getting paranoid. Has anybody else had problems with these guys?

[Edit: This thread got pretty long, so I decided to add a summary here. My personal experience with Musical Paradise was that there were a few oddities and delays in the shipping, mainly due to ordering it too close to the holiday season. At times this stressed me out a bit, as you will notice at times if you read the whole thread. Just skip those parts. Then, DHL temporarily lost the package, which stressed me out more. Eventually it was found.

Unfortunately, when I did get the amp, one of the speaker terminals fell off in my hand. It had a bit of a rough ride, thanks to DHL, so that is likely the cause. I emailed Garry at Musical Paradise and he shipped me out a replacement part right away. Removing/installing parts is quite easy due to a very simple and orderly design of the amp.

In the thread, you will find many very positive testimonials for Garry Huang and Musical Paradise. He seems to be very well liked, as do his products. I had some initial problems, but I believe they were anomalies and that in general, Musical Paradise is a good company that makes good stuff.

I'll provide a review of the amp in a separate thread once I've soldered in the new speaker terminal.]

Last edited by Lethargy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:31 pm 

Could be a busy season for them.
Welcome to Cam forum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:41 pm 

Yeah, I'm trying not to get too wound up, but it's seeming less and less likely it's going to be here in time for Christmas. And, given what I'm seeing written about them elsewhere, I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually joined a couple of years ago, but I've never had to post before because my questions have already been asked and answered before. This place is a great resource. I'm going to need it more in the future, assuming I ever get my tube amp. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 pm 

How did you pay? Can you cancel payment?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:07 pm 

I paid by credit card. If I haven't received it in 30 days, I'll file a charge-back. There's ultimately no danger, just frustration.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:19 pm 

I would consider this unacceptable . My rule is that if you get poor service before you actually receive the item, what do you think is going to happen if you need after sales service.

If a company cannot handle orders in a reasonably timely manner then they have to stop taking orders until they catch up or invest the time and/or money to rectify the problem.

There are too many good dealers/companies/components out there to deal with those who don't measure up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm 

I agree. And in my experience, if a non-back-ordered item hasn't shipped within two weeks, it's probably never coming.

Last edited by Lethargy on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:46 pm 

i have ordered dac from Garry 5 months ago, and had no problems. Items are shipped from china, not Canada.
Mine took almost 2 weeks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 pm 

I can't say I've purchased from the company. Bought used through CAM... But, I've emailed Garry a few times and he's always gotten back to me in a few days. I wouldn't shoot the messenger quite yet. Maybe just a screw up in shipping etc but I would've hoped for some communication by now.

Having said that, I'm running an MP501 and a D1 DAC. Great sounding components and work VERY well together. Well worth the wait so I hope you get satisfaction soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 pm 

Smith wrote:
I would consider this unacceptable . My rule is that if you get poor service before you actually receive the item, what do you think is going to happen if you need after sales service.

If a company cannot handle orders in a reasonably timely manner then they have to stop taking orders until they catch up or invest the time and/or money to rectify the problem.

There are too many good dealers/companies/components out there to deal with those who don't measure up.

Precisely!

del Sol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 pm 

My experiences with Musical Paradise and Garry have all been very good.
I've bought new from him and shipping from China has been fairly quick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 pm 
Premium User

I purchased a MP301 MK3, two months ago. I was so happy with the sound and build quality I then ordered a MP303. I am very happy with both.

I had the same feeling as the OP. My order off the web went into never , never land. But , I did receive both items within two weeks. Both were very well packed and both sound excellent!

What pushed me to purchase the MP301 was a comment by the owner of a speaker company "Caintuck Audio" who produces the Betsy open baffle speaker. (Decware also did a review of the speakers) I emailed him and asked him directly about his speakers and the MP301. He said that a customer wanted to demo a pair of speakers with the MP301. The customer brought the amp down and hooked it up to a pair of Betsy's after they closed. He said they spent two hours listening to the combo. he was impressed and baffled. ( No pun intended) by such a low cost amplifier could sound so good.

In my case I am very glad I ordered from Musical Paradise and would not hesitate to again.

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:36 pm 

In every dealing with Gary, I've never had a problem, my last 301 was here in a week, about 6 months ago. Tubes have taken a few weeks, but they were shipped by China post. And he will take a few days to reply to email sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 am 

Hi

Dealt with Gary in the past for an MP-P1 Tube Phono Preamp and never had an issue; always very responsive to comms.

Sit back and relax; you are in good hands.

Cheers and enjoy

Seba

Pure Fidelity Deck, Delrin Platter & Hub|WTB303 Tonearm|TangoSpinner Sub, Brass Dual Pulley & Opal Belts|SS Clamp|M. Lim CW|Michell Eng VTA|AT EOR Riser|OF Vivo Blue|Falcon PSU & Tach|Moon 110LP & Swagman DC LPSU|MingDa MC34-AB Amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:12 am 

Okay, good to hear some positive reviews. I'll wait it out, I guess. Not much choice otherwise at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next