Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:00 pm 

I don't know much about tubes... But I replaced the 12AX7 chinese tubes in my Yaqin to PSVane matched pair in the fancy box... And they were substantially better. Quieter, but still smooth with enough gain for my Denon DL110. Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

found a deal in the london ont area. somebody's gotta grab it....I can't get to it.

Someone from the london area -- pm me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 pm 

:idea:

Last edited by Psciguy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:53 am 

Psciguy wrote:
I had Psvane 12ax7 through Grant Fidelity. Short usage period (pardon the pun) = 1 bad tube + 1 very noisy tube. They didn't work out, but, for the approx. 200 hours, sounded good. They were used with Grant Fidelity CD 327a cd player.

The same with me, they didn't last long.After trying lots of 12ax7 I still go back to NOS.You can get some exceptional NOS tubes off of CAM sellers for $100 a pair....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:41 am 

I really like the psvane 12ax7's in my phono stages. they are closest sonically to my favourite tubes, the EI's, which are long out of production. the Chinese tubes do have a shorter lifespan unfortunately. luckily I found a source for matched EI quads, so i'm good for years now.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:07 am 

Psciguy wrote:
I had Psvane 12ax7 through Grant Fidelity. Short usage period (pardon the pun) = 1 bad tube + 1 very noisy tube.

Complete opposite of my experience. I've been running a quad of Psvane 12ax7's for over 4 years (= several thousand hours).

Conversely, I bought a pair of Mazda ECC83 tubes from a previously reliable supplier in the UK. One of the tubes blew within 1 hour. He refused to take it back, saying it tested fine.

First time I've ever had a tube go so quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 am 

Well, the thread is about current, however I will just drop this little tidbit. I have all the major 5751's, a good bunch of 12ax7's...Mullard, Tele, etc. I've run all of my stock through my Audiomat and as well through the phono stage of my Magus Pre and many other amps over the years. I've identified 1950's RCA 12ax7's with long charred plates as my favorite for a number of applications, however most are now too noisy to use in critical places. As I was researching the stock tubes for the Audiomat I came across this......

Quote:
Often found relabelled as Baldwin tubes, these Sylvania manufactured green labelled 12AX7 tubes are all very good sounding but some are definitely better sounding than others. In 1959, some really strange things occurred at the Sylvania factory with producing 12AX7 tubes. A 17-mm long grey anode plate version with copper grid posts and a 90-degree O-shaped ring getter first appeared in the 13th week of 1959. In the 39th week and 52nd week of the same year, similar long plate and copper grid post 12AX7 tubes were produced; however, the 90-degree O-shaped ring getter was replaced with a strong pronounced 90-degree square-shaped getter. This is most unexpected, as the early 1950's square-shaped getter had been phased out and was practically non-existent during this time period. In the very early part of 1960, production returned back to using the 90-degree O-shaped ring getter, which continued on throughout the early to mid 1960's. I have compared most of these Sylvania 12AX7 tubes side by side. The 913 date coded variety sounds simply stunning when compared to the 1960's Sylvania variety. To my ears, no other manufactured 12AX7 tube competes to the 913 Sylvania variety. I have rolled far too many 12AX7/ECC83/E83CC/5751 NOS/UOS tubes to list here and I have settled on this particular 12AX7 tube to be the "best" sounding to my ears.

I bought some on Ebay and, low and behold, these outshine everything else in my stock in both the Audiomat and in the phono stage. Make sure to get the 913 date code, this seller is where I bought mine....he usually has a couple of pairs available.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/fng2u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:18 am 
Premium User

kukakunga wrote:
Make sure to get the 913 date code, this seller is where I bought mine....he usually has a couple of pairs available.

He has a quad with date code of 113...the 13th week of '51...what do you think...should I go for them?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 am 

Hmmm... I didn't see those, link?

There is also a quad of 1959's with a 939 code, third quarter of 1959. As far as I can tell from the quote I posted previous, from XLR80R at the Asylum, the 913 date code is the one he sites and also the ones I purchased. I have not compared with the late 59 tubes so I can't say....having looked at XLR80R's posts I can tell you that he is obviously obsessed with tube markings, ID, and specific qualities from different periods, so I'd stick to that 913 code to be sure.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262758908004?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:24 am 

kukakunga wrote:
Well, the thread is about current, however I will just drop this little tidbit. I have all the major 5751's, a good bunch of 12ax7's...Mullard, Tele, etc. I've run all of my stock through my Audiomat and as well through the phono stage of my Magus Pre and many other amps over the years. I've identified 1950's RCA 12ax7's with long charred plates as my favorite for a number of applications, however most are now too noisy to use in critical places. As I was researching the stock tubes for the Audiomat I came across this......

Quote:
Often found relabelled as Baldwin tubes, these Sylvania manufactured green labelled 12AX7 tubes are all very good sounding but some are definitely better sounding than others. In 1959, some really strange things occurred at the Sylvania factory with producing 12AX7 tubes. A 17-mm long grey anode plate version with copper grid posts and a 90-degree O-shaped ring getter first appeared in the 13th week of 1959. In the 39th week and 52nd week of the same year, similar long plate and copper grid post 12AX7 tubes were produced; however, the 90-degree O-shaped ring getter was replaced with a strong pronounced 90-degree square-shaped getter. This is most unexpected, as the early 1950's square-shaped getter had been phased out and was practically non-existent during this time period. In the very early part of 1960, production returned back to using the 90-degree O-shaped ring getter, which continued on throughout the early to mid 1960's. I have compared most of these Sylvania 12AX7 tubes side by side. The 913 date coded variety sounds simply stunning when compared to the 1960's Sylvania variety. To my ears, no other manufactured 12AX7 tube competes to the 913 Sylvania variety. I have rolled far too many 12AX7/ECC83/E83CC/5751 NOS/UOS tubes to list here and I have settled on this particular 12AX7 tube to be the "best" sounding to my ears.

I bought some on Ebay and, low and behold, these outshine everything else in my stock in both the Audiomat and in the phono stage. Make sure to get the 913 date code, this seller is where I bought mine....he usually has a couple of pairs available.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/fng2u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

All the early U.S. 12ax7s from the late 1950s are at least good---any of the RCA, Sylvania or Raytheon long black plates, early Sylvania, or RCA long grey plates with the square getters, GE long grey plates also good.
These tubes were produced in the millions, and are still readily available at costs similar to current production tubes, and with all due respect to Chris, kill the EH tubes in my amp. And they all last a long time. These are the tubes to get if you are just getting into NOS--don't spend big bucks on Teles, Mullards and Amperex.
Enjoy the roll!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:21 am 

Hi MENDEL24,
It depends a bit on the equipment you're using as to what might sound the best. It would be interesting to see what the distortion performance is for each in your equipment. Preference can be anything to different people. So no problem if you disagree with me. I might agree with you if I heard your equipment. But everything I have done so far sounds best with those NOS 12AX7A's you listed, and the 12AX7EH sounded identical but quieter than some.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 am 

audiodomm wrote:
None buy some Telefunken they last forever.

...or Siemens