Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:53 pm 

vonclod wrote:
I have liked the Genalex b759

for current production I'll +1 that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:57 pm 

Reading this might be of interest to you -

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

It is Joe's Tube Lore from the Audio Asylum where he reviews a bunch of current & NOS 12AX7s (and others). For example:

"Sovtek 12AX7 WXTP(premium, supposedly modeled after the classic Telefunken)
Telefunken 12AX7 ribbed plates
Mullard 12AX7
Mullard CV 4004 box plate
Sylvania (Phillips) JAN 12AX7WA
Brimar CV 4004
RCA 12AX7A grey ribbed plate
Amperex 12AX7 Bugle Boy Holland
"

I too like the GE 5751s that poster brf mentioned above...and GE 5-stars (1959). I also dig the EH 12AX7 Gold from the Tube Store - always had good service from them.

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:03 pm 

guess the op needs to clarify "current run". is that current production tubes or what we're currently running?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
guess the op needs to clarify "current run". is that current production tubes or what we're currently running?

Current in-production tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:40 am 

For me, Tung Sol bring the best $/value equation. Used them in my old headamp, a Cayin HA-1.

Local pick up at Parts Connexion made it even more attractive.

I have not tried the Psvane, but heard lots of good things about them.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am 

dmitchell wrote:
Time for a replacement for my trusty and much loved Finale F-138 amp. What's your favourite current run 12AX7? I usually buy from thetubestore.com if that cuts down on choices.

I have tried the EH, the Preferred Series, and the Sovtec LPS as input tubes for my Rogue amp.
Did not care for the EH at all.
The Sovtec is clear, clean and extended, but also dry and harmonicly bleached in the midrange.
The Preferred has a big soundstage with decent bloom and air, but sounds fuzzy and unfocused.
I could not live with any of them in my amp.
If you want one of the best NOS tubes but don't want to buy used, go for the Sylvania 5751 blackplate from thetubestore. Very pricey, but you get what you pay for. Check with Finale if you can use 5751 in that spot, most likely it is no problem.
If you have several thousand dollars invested in your system, the $260 US investment will seem like a bargain compared to the improvement you will get. They are WAY better than Telefunken 12ax7 IMO.
Your amp (and ears) deserve the best.
P.S.--I see you only need one. Go for it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 am 

another option for the the syl black plate 5751 is the ratheon windmill getter 5751.

but then there's other variants of the 12ax7 like the 7025.

Still think the op is preferring current production tubes.... one's opinions here - https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corne ... made-tubes

Take it as you like as there's a couple I'd disagree with...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:02 am 

I just put the Tung Sol in my Pro-Ject Tube Box S phono stage and I really like the improvement over the stock tubes. This is my first time tube rolling. I also have a pair of Northern Electric to try next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 am 

I have to second the Tung Sol, replaced the stock tubes in my phono pre with them and really happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:04 pm 

MENDEL24 wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
Time for a replacement for my trusty and much loved Finale F-138 amp. What's your favourite current run 12AX7? I usually buy from thetubestore.com if that cuts down on choices.

I have tried the EH, the Preferred Series, and the Sovtec LPS as input tubes for my Rogue amp.
Did not care for the EH at all.
The Sovtec is clear, clean and extended, but also dry and harmonicly bleached in the midrange.
The Preferred has a big soundstage with decent bloom and air, but sounds fuzzy and unfocused.
I could not live with any of them in my amp.
If you want one of the best NOS tubes but don't want to buy used, go for the Sylvania 5751 blackplate from thetubestore. Very pricey, but you get what you pay for. Check with Finale if you can use 5751 in that spot, most likely it is no problem.
If you have several thousand dollars invested in your system, the $260 US investment will seem like a bargain compared to the improvement you will get. They are WAY better than Telefunken 12ax7 IMO.
Your amp (and ears) deserve the best.
P.S.--I see you only need one. Go for it!!!
I used the sylvania 5751 in scott 299 and thought it was good, not great. I think I like my siemens 12ax7 or tungsol 7025 better. I have a pair of Westinghouse 7729 in there now and those a much better any of the other 3. I also have one in my HK citation V and that beats anything else I've used in there as well. The 7729 is rare and usually $100 or more each, I lucked into mine for $30 a pair. I don't have any experience with current production and generally don't use new production tube unless I have to.

-- 02 Dec 2016 00:09 --

dmitchell wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
My go-to 12AX7's are:

1. Mazda ECC83
2. Psvane 12AX7
3. Telefunken ECC83S*

* - There is such a huge counterfeit market in Telefunken tubes that even professionals get taken so keep this in mind. Here's a good article on fake tubes:
http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm

Thanks. This is exactly why I focus on current production tubes instead of vintage. Also, what happens when you spend 100 bucks or more on a vintage tube on ebay, and the tube dies within hours or weeks?
If an old small signal tube tests strong when you get it, it will probably outlast a new production tube. The only problems I've had with old production tubes have been 6dj8s which are more likely to be noisy, even if they test strong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 pm 

Hi jmstrick812!
I agree with most of your points.
Remember the original poster was looking for new production tubes and is not into hunting for exotic NOS tubes. I suggested the Sylvania 5751 as thetubestore (his favoured vendor) has them NOS in original boxes. No worries about counterfeits, no worry about the tubes being used, etc.
I did not say it was the "best" 12ax7/5751, only that it is a very very good tube that will beat any new production tube IMO as well as the overrated (again in my opinion) Telefunken 12ax7. For somebody who is not into tube rolling, it is an easy solution.
The truth of it is that without trying many different types, it is impossible to say which tube would be the best sounding tube for him given his specific equipment.
In my Rogue, I prefer the earlier mentioned Raytheon "windmill" 5751, the early Raytheon 12ax7 long plate with the bent square getter, the long plate Siemens 12ax7, and even the early RCA black plate square getter 12ax7 to the Sylvania. But not many others. Those can be found with great difficulty, but even if the OP found them there is no guarantee that he would prefer those to the Sylvania 5751 in his amp.
Even if the OP decides to go with new production, he should try a few different ones to see what he prefers in his gear. Or just buy the Sylvania and rest assured he is using what is considered to be one of the premier types of NOS 12ax7/5751. There is a reason the tube store is selling them for $130. I expect they will sell out quickly.
Enjoy the roll!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 pm 

Buy vintage. But don't buy from eBay, buy from here:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/search.p ... radius=100

Brent Jessee is a reliable source of tubes:
http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 am 

The best tubes I've seen are the 12AX7EH. They are based on the RCA 12AX7 and will perform best in circuits designed for 12AX7 with the resistors in tolerance. They are also very quiet and consistent from tube to tube.

So, unpopular as the recommendation is with some folks, the Electroharmonix are the way to go. I service equipment and have a selection of NOS tubes to compare against. The 12AX7EH in a properly designed circuit performs exactly as it should. Low noise and flat frequency response.

If the resistors are out of tolerance in a circuit, then who knows what the performance will be? It's undefined as the circuit is not longer proper for a 12AX7. Also of note, a 7025 is a low noise 12AX7 and exactly the same as a 12AX7A (or 12AX7EH).

A 6EU7 is a lower noise 12AX7A that has a different pinout and heater.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:50 pm 

For current in production 12AX7 type my favorite so far is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS - only for the "LPS" not the rest from their product line. It may be a bit "clinical" but it offers a good frequencies extension w/ good clarity and it is cheap. Not to mention it is my go to in-production 12AX7 type tubes for tube phono stages because it has a low noise floor. Have tried the EH (regular and gold) which I don't really care. JJ (ECC803S and 803S Gold, etc.) sound nice but unfortunately they are also proved to be unreliable for me for some reasons - they crapped out for me too often. The 12AX7 from the Tube Stores "Preferred Series" (or something like that... too lazy to go look) is actually not bad but I still ranked it lower then the 12AX7LPS. I could go on and on with the rest that I have tried and frankly a few of them are not really bad choices even against some NOS IMHO. However, a lot of of them are just not exceptional. You know what? As I always say, get a basket full of these economical in-production 12AX7 and you can make up your mind among the in-production ones before venturing into NOS (or OS). I am pretty sure the cost is less than the wine or single malt scotch some of you are indulging in :wink:

The only ones that I haven't really tried are the Chinese made tubes like Psvane, etc. so no comment about those. I just know for a fact that the pair of 12AX7's that come with my Cayin integrated in my second system are absolutely horrible: it made everything sounded muddy, etc. If someone knows where Cayin got them please let me know. Substituted them with even the "worst" 12AX7 that I have made it sounded like a different amp. all together. I hope no one judges this integrated based on these pair of factory supplied 12AX7. Now that there is no 12AX7 in my main system I don't think I will spend that much comparing what I have with these Chinese 12AX7 type tubes.

I will not get start with NOS (or OS) because this is another topic but I prefer the Brimar CV4004 among others. There are a lot of fake NOS out there so be aware what and where you buy them. I have heard even experienced users have/can been fooled.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:12 pm 

QuadESL63 wrote:
For current in production 12AX7 type my favorite so far is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS - only for the "LPS" not the rest from their product line. It may be a bit "clinical" but it offers a good frequencies extension w/ good clarity and it is cheap. Not to mention it is my go to in-production 12AX7 type tubes for tube phono stages because it has a low noise floor. Have tried the EH (regular and gold) which I don't really care. JJ (ECC803S and 803S Gold, etc.) sound nice but unfortunately they are also proved to be unreliable for me for some reasons - they crapped out for me too often. The 12AX7 from the Tube Stores "Preferred Series" (or something like that... too lazy to go look) is actually not bad but I still ranked it lower then the 12AX7LPS. I could go on and on with the rest that I have tried and frankly a few of them are not really bad choices even against some NOS IMHO. However, a lot of of them are just not exceptional. You know what? As I always say, get a basket full of these economical in-production 12AX7 and you can make up your mind among the in-production ones before venturing into NOS (or OS). I am pretty sure the cost is less than the wine or single malt scotch some of you are indulging in :wink:

The only ones that I haven't really tried are the Chinese made tubes like Psvane, etc. so no comment about those. I just know for a fact that the pair of 12AX7's that come with my Cayin integrated in my second system are absolutely horrible: it made everything sounded muddy, etc. If someone knows where Cayin got them please let me know. Substituted them with even the "worst" 12AX7 that I have made it sounded like a different amp. all together. I hope no one judges this integrated based on these pair of factory supplied 12AX7. Now that there is no 12AX7 in my main system I don't think I will spend that much comparing what I have with these Chinese 12AX7 type tubes.

I will not get start with NOS (or OS) because this is another topic but I prefer the Brimar CV4004 among others. There are a lot of fake NOS out there so be aware what and where you buy them. I have heard even experienced users have/can been fooled.

That's interesting - when I bought my Cayin integrated it came with EH 12ax7 for some reason. The rest were house labelled and not bad at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next