Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 1510
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Time for a replacement for my trusty and much loved Finale F-138 amp. What's your favourite current run 12AX7? I usually buy from thetubestore.com if that cuts down on choices.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:44 pm 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:57 am
Posts: 304
Location: Whitby, ON, CA
PSVane

I order from amazon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:20 pm
Posts: 81
Location: ETOBICOKE, ON, CA
None buy some Telefunken they last forever.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 1510
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
audiodomm wrote:
None buy some Telefunken they last forever.


ebay?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:01 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
audiodomm wrote:
None buy some Telefunken they last forever.

+1 for Telefunken 12ax7.

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 633
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Electro Harmonix gold pins are my go to modern 12AX7 followed by the Tung-Sols. The new production tubes lack a bit of air but sound really good after about 100 hours or so. The Winged C 12AX7's are every bit as good as the vintage tubes but are getting a bit scarce. I have mainly Telefunken and Siemens in my phono and driver tubes. Give the EH golds a go, you'll be shocked at how good they sound.

_________________
¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 2470
Location: GTA, ON, CA
If you can get away with a little less gain, then my recommendation would be the 5751 GE Black Plates with triple mica 1950's. Awesome tube, especially for phono stages.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 1510
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
petersch wrote:
Electro Harmonix gold pins are my go to modern 12AX7 followed by the Tung-Sols. The new production tubes lack a bit of air but sound really good after about 100 hours or so. The Winged C 12AX7's are every bit as good as the vintage tubes but are getting a bit scarce. I have mainly Telefunken and Siemens in my phono and driver tubes. Give the EH golds a go, you'll be shocked at how good they sound.


I've read good things about the EH gold pins. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 2708
Location: Airdrie, AB, CA
Don't know what you've used in the amp before, but JJ ECC803S have worked all right for me, there is a gold pin variant as well. Northern Electric 12ax7 from Tubestore are intriguing (not tried), I got the JJ's there as well. I've used the Psvane 12ax7's from Grant Fidelity, they were very good sounding.

Stepping out of the new prod tubes opens up some other options.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 am
Posts: 1011
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
My go-to 12AX7's are:

1. Mazda ECC83
2. Psvane 12AX7
3. Telefunken ECC83S*

* - There is such a huge counterfeit market in Telefunken tubes that even professionals get taken so keep this in mind. Here's a good article on fake tubes:
http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." (Aristotle, 384-322 BCE)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 1510
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
NordicNorm wrote:
My go-to 12AX7's are:

1. Mazda ECC83
2. Psvane 12AX7
3. Telefunken ECC83S*

* - There is such a huge counterfeit market in Telefunken tubes that even professionals get taken so keep this in mind. Here's a good article on fake tubes:
http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm


Thanks. This is exactly why I focus on current production tubes instead of vintage. Also, what happens when you spend 100 bucks or more on a vintage tube on ebay, and the tube dies within hours or weeks?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Your sol

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:54 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 2708
Location: Airdrie, AB, CA
dmitchell wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
My go-to 12AX7's are:

1. Mazda ECC83
2. Psvane 12AX7
3. Telefunken ECC83S*

* - There is such a huge counterfeit market in Telefunken tubes that even professionals get taken so keep this in mind. Here's a good article on fake tubes:
http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm


Thanks. This is exactly why I focus on current production tubes instead of vintage. Also, what happens when you spend 100 bucks or more on a vintage tube on ebay, and the tube dies within hours or weeks?


One thing about Tubestore is they do generally stand behind the products - 3 month mfg warranty unless otherwise noted. I had a TAD output tube go on me once about two weeks or so after receipt. I shipped it back with an RMA and no problem at all. They offer 6 months on the Preferred Series and the Northern Electric.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:25 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Delta, BC, CA
I have liked the Genalex b759


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 66
Location: mississauga, ON, CA
Psvane 12AX7 from Grant Fidelity are great tubes. I think they might still be on sale???????


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group