Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just kt88 loose pins
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:23 pm 

I bought some new jj kt88s and they felt quit loose in the socket. I played the amp for a while and then I noticed one wasn't glowing so obviously the contact is bad. I pushed it around and got contact but then noticed that I got some static noises. I put my old electroharmonix back and everything is fine.

I'm pretty new to tubes but is it normal for different manufacturers tubes to not fit?

Post subject: Re: Just kt88 loose pins
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:33 pm 

have you considered tightening the contacts in the tube sockets?

never experienced with power tubes but with signals some mfg's may use a larger dia pin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 pm 

malthuse wrote:
I bought some new jj kt88s and they felt quit loose in the socket. I played the amp for a while and then I noticed one wasn't glowing so obviously the contact is bad. I pushed it around and got contact but then noticed that I got some static noises. I put my old electroharmonix back and everything is fine.

I'm pretty new to tubes but is it normal for different manufacturers tubes to not fit?

What is your amp. Tubes them selves would not have a "loose" pin connection or the tubes would not function because of vacuum loss
if the structure was compromised. In all likely hood the tube amp pin sockets are loose or you have an intermittent solder joint on the tube socket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:48 pm 

definitely not solder as the original tubes are fine. I could tighten but what a pain, is that normal just to accommodate a different brand of tubes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:59 pm 

JJ tubes had thinner pin issues in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:29 pm 

tighten contacts in tube sockets and while yer at it give em a cleaning too.

and yes, jj tubes have been mentioned to now have thinner tube pins.

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=171

Last edited by BinkyTheCat on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:54 pm 

wcoombs wrote:
malthuse wrote:

What is your amp. Tubes them selves would not have a "loose" pin connection or the tubes would not function because of vacuum loss
if the structure was compromised. In all likely hood the tube amp pin sockets are loose or you have an intermittent solder joint on the tube socket.

the tube base and/or pins could become loose. the pins don't pass through the glass, the wires they are soldered to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:40 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
wcoombs wrote:
malthuse wrote:

the tube base and/or pins could become loose. the pins don't pass through the glass, the wires they are soldered to do.

Duh, I wasn't thinking....typically power tubes have the leads exiting the glass it is the smaller tubes such as 12xx7 where the pins are directly in the glass envelope. Thank you for your vigilance.