Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:41 pm 

lmaosuine wrote:
The cd2 has arrived! Wow, I was not expecting too much of a change but I'm blown away. Doing A/B comparisons with headphones really emphasizes the difference. I can't believe I was listening to that gritty sound before at high volumes. I've only broken in this unit for less than two continuous days, also, and the stock Chinese tubes sound great already. They're slowly starting to light up in more places and become warmer with operation (they didn't even seem to be on before - cold and no light at all, but they're slowly "breaking in" and opening up, it seems like).

One thing that caught me off guard was the size. I was expecting this thing to be way, way bigger. And the tubes are miniature! I like the small size of the unit, though. It fits nicely on my desk with my other components.

I tried placing the cd2 in-between my family's blu-ray player and home theater system and put on Showbiz Kids (Steely Dan). My dad was so impressed he started pulling out all his favorite CD's to try through the unit. The excitement is infectious! lol.

I'm having so much fun with this thing right now that I'm gonna end this post even though I have a lot more to say about it. If you are reading this and thinking about buying a tube buffer, DO IT! I was skeptical but after testing it out for myself, I'm in love. The sound is so much more listenable and musical. Everything that I was feverishly hoping would be true and not just an audiophile conspiracy, IS TRUE. YES. This little box is awesome.

I didn't start this thread for nothing! Within certain parameters the Yaq2 is a game-changer, no doubt. Glad ya dig it. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:53 pm 

I have the CD1 Tube Buffer (JAN Phillips) in between my Sony 2000F preamp and Dynaco ST410 poweramp powering Dahlquist DQ10's and am very satisfied with the level of sonic improvement throughout the frequency range...much more airy and 3 dimensional.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:07 pm 

poupon wrote:
I have the CD1 Tube Buffer (JAN Phillips) in between my Sony 2000F preamp and Dynaco ST410 poweramp powering Dahlquist DQ10's and am very satisfied with the level of sonic improvement throughout the frequency range...much more airy and 3 dimensional.

Which tubes or tube does the CD1 use?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:09 pm 

Old Rusty wrote:
poupon wrote:

6922 (6DJ8 and variants) 1 tube only

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:15 pm 

poupon wrote:
Old Rusty wrote:
poupon wrote:

6922 (6DJ8 and variants) 1 tube only

Groovy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6DJ8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 pm 

Hey guys, I've been gone for a while because I've been having so much fun with the cd2 :) but now I'm back because I think I made a stupid.

I have a really hot halogen lamp that melted the side of one of my speaker cabinets the other day, which somehow gave me the idea to place the lamp directly above the tubes on the cd-2 to see if it would affect the sound at all.

It did! It seemed to really liven up the signal. I listened for a bit, then turned it off and went to bed. This was last night. Today, I come home from work to find out that the lamp had been turned on again for ~10 hours, still right above the tubes. The CD-2 was hot to the touch. Everything sounded fine through my monitors, but when I tried bypassing the CD-2 the monitors got about 10 times louder.

I tried turning off the CD2 while still listening through it, and the volume still faded, like the tubes were cooling down, and eventually settled at a quieter level than when the unit was on. Thinking the tubes may be the problem, I tried swapping in some "Mullards", which by the way I really don't think are Mullards, but regardless have sounded fine in the past. These tubes were also extremely quiet compared to just the straight output from my DAC, strengthening my theory that the problem lies not with the tubes but with some internal component or wiring.

Did I fry my cd-2? :( I tried taking it apart to see if I melted anything inside, but I couldn't access the upper tower part. I could only get into the bottom chamber, where everything appeared to be in fine condition and connected properly. That damn tower on top will not open up and I'm afraid that I melted something in there :(

Edit: So if set the output from my DAC to about 1/2 volume, the sound is distortion-free, albeit thin and lacking bass (we're still running through the CD-2 here). When I turn the DAC output up any further, the signal starts to horribly distort (not pleasant tube distortion). Before the lamp incident, I had been able to turn up the DAC 100% and hear no audible distortion through the speakers (and I'm using the same songs for reference). I think I done **** up.

Edit Edit: Is the transformer in the box on top?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 am 

Sounds like you may have cooked the power supply capacitor (100uF 400v in the pic I saw online). It's probably about a $4.00 to $5.00 part to buy. Check what value cap is in your buffer before ordering.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm 

lmaosuine wrote:
Hey guys, I've been gone for a while because I've been having so much fun with the cd2 :) but now I'm back because I think I made a stupid.

I have a really hot halogen lamp that melted the side of one of my speaker cabinets the other day, which somehow gave me the idea to place the lamp directly above the tubes on the cd-2 to see if it would affect the sound at all.

It did! It seemed to really liven up the signal. I listened for a bit, then turned it off and went to bed. This was last night. Today, I come home from work to find out that the lamp had been turned on again for ~10 hours, still right above the tubes. The CD-2 was hot to the touch. Everything sounded fine through my monitors, but when I tried bypassing the CD-2 the monitors got about 10 times louder.

I tried turning off the CD2 while still listening through it, and the volume still faded, like the tubes were cooling down, and eventually settled at a quieter level than when the unit was on. Thinking the tubes may be the problem, I tried swapping in some "Mullards", which by the way I really don't think are Mullards, but regardless have sounded fine in the past. These tubes were also extremely quiet compared to just the straight output from my DAC, strengthening my theory that the problem lies not with the tubes but with some internal component or wiring.

Did I fry my cd-2? :( I tried taking it apart to see if I melted anything inside, but I couldn't access the upper tower part. I could only get into the bottom chamber, where everything appeared to be in fine condition and connected properly. That damn tower on top will not open up and I'm afraid that I melted something in there :(

Edit: So if set the output from my DAC to about 1/2 volume, the sound is distortion-free, albeit thin and lacking bass (we're still running through the CD-2 here). When I turn the DAC output up any further, the signal starts to horribly distort (not pleasant tube distortion). Before the lamp incident, I had been able to turn up the DAC 100% and hear no audible distortion through the speakers (and I'm using the same songs for reference). I think I done **** up.

Edit Edit: Is the transformer in the box on top?

The transformer is in the box on top of the CD2. And yes, it sounds as if you did indeed **** up. I'm no electronic genius, but it sounds as if you should get your CD2 to a qualified technician ASAP , before you screw-up any of your other gear. Bummer, dude!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
Sounds like you may have cooked the power supply capacitor (100uF 400v in the pic I saw online). It's probably about a $4.00 to $5.00 part to buy. Check what value cap is in your buffer before ordering.

Thanks for the response. Today it seems to be working fine, luckily. I think some weird impedance matching thing was going on, but i'm probably just talking out of my ass about that. What happened was, I was using ipod earbuds straight out of the yaqin, then straight out of the headphone port of the DAC for A/B comparisons because it was late at night and I couldn't use my speakers :cry: Then I got a hold of some Bose powered headphones with a "high" and "low" setting. I tried the A/B comparison on the low setting, and it was the same. The sound out of the yaqin was thin and quiet, and distorted with volume. But when I tried it on "high", the volume levels were the same again between the Yaqin output and DAC output - and now the Yaqin was not only back at the same volume level, but the richness was restored - the sound yaqin sounded much more buttery than the DAC on subsequent A/B comparisons. And today, I was able to do A/B comparisons with my speakers and everything is fine. I don't know what happened with those unpowered heaphones, but it scared the **** out of me!

Thinking it was already over, I moved on and got excited about this: http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

A single ended triode amp. An AMP!!! For the same price as the Yaqin, with just some labor (which would be fun even if it was really hard to do). Even though it's just 1 watt, it could still be cool or maybe there's another schematic for like a 10 watt one or something.

Which brings me to another question, I have KRK rokit 8" monitors. They're actively powered speakers (the amp is inside them). Could I still push them with an SET amp with the speaker amp gains set low or neutral? AND, I couldn't find a sensitivity rating for my speakers. Is this because the amp is inside the speakers? Or because they don't want to advertise it because it might not be very good? Can anyone tell me what the sensitivity of KRK Rokit 8" monitors is?

- Final question. If I did build my own amp, would it be possible to take apart the KRK monitors and detach the integrated amps, instead connecting the speaker directly to the SET amp?

EDIT: I see that I mistakenly said that I did A/B comparisons with my monitors last night. I didn't - the monitors sounded fine. The problem started when I started using the headphones, but I was too dumb to make the association. You guys have that BC bud, you know how it is - southern california is similar. That's all I'm gonna say 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm 

lmaosuine wrote:
Tom_r wrote:

Thanks for the response. Today it seems to be working fine, luckily. I think some weird impedance matching thing was going on, but i'm probably just talking out of my ass about that. What happened was, I was using ipod earbuds straight out of the yaqin, then straight out of the headphone port of the DAC for A/B comparisons because it was late at night and I couldn't use my speakers :cry: Then I got a hold of some Bose powered headphones with a "high" and "low" setting. I tried the A/B comparison on the low setting, and it was the same. The sound out of the yaqin was thin and quiet, and distorted with volume. But when I tried it on "high", the volume levels were the same again between the Yaqin output and DAC output - and now the Yaqin was not only back at the same volume level, but the richness was restored - the sound yaqin sounded much more buttery than the DAC on subsequent A/B comparisons. And today, I was able to do A/B comparisons with my speakers and everything is fine. I don't know what happened with those unpowered heaphones, but it scared the **** out of me!

Thinking it was already over, I moved on and got excited about this: http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

A single ended triode amp. An AMP!!! For the same price as the Yaqin, with just some labor (which would be fun even if it was really hard to do). Even though it's just 1 watt, it could still be cool or maybe there's another schematic for like a 10 watt one or something.

Which brings me to another question, I have KRK rokit 8" monitors. They're actively powered speakers (the amp is inside them). Could I still push them with an SET amp with the speaker amp gains set low or neutral? AND, I couldn't find a sensitivity rating for my speakers. Is this because the amp is inside the speakers? Or because they don't want to advertise it because it might not be very good? Can anyone tell me what the sensitivity of KRK Rokit 8" monitors is?

- Final question. If I did build my own amp, would it be possible to take apart the KRK monitors and detach the integrated amps, instead connecting the speaker directly to the SET amp?

EDIT: I see that I mistakenly said that I did A/B comparisons with my monitors last night. I didn't - the monitors sounded fine. The problem started when I started using the headphones, but I was too dumb to make the association. You guys have that BC bud, you know how it is - southern california is similar. That's all I'm gonna say 8)

That is quite a story! Hope all is well. As far as your amp questions go, perhaps a new thread in the 'Amplifiers/Preamplifiers' section might help you quickly. Good luck, bro...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm 

Old Rusty wrote:
That is quite a story! Hope all is well. As far as your amp questions go, perhaps a new thread in the 'Amplifiers/Preamplifiers' section might help you quickly. Good luck, bro...

Haha, thanks. I forgot this was the Yaqin thread. The Yaqin has been my gateway drug :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:54 pm 

-- 08 Oct 2012 01:50 --

Decided to do a little tube-rolling in the Yaq CD2 this weekend. First I tried a pair of GE gray-plate 5654's but they did nothing for me. Then I dug some Hytron JHY-6AK5's out of the stash & plopped them in & wowza, that is some nice-sounding tube. I don't know if it's coincidence or what, but the last tube that I really liked was also a military tube, the Voshkod 6J1P-EV. The Hytron's are far more 'forward-sounding' and by that I mean that the sound is brought forward into the room, especially vocals. I dig it, as it's quite a change from the Voshkod's 'behind-the-speakers' type of presentation. Both the Hytron's & the Voshkod's are insanely detailed & throw a massive, wide soundstage. There is just something I really dig about these black-plate tubes... Going to do some more listening this evening & report back.
8)

-- 03 Nov 2012 08:15 --

November 3rd, 2012:
For those of us that care, I had to pull the Hytrons from my Yaq2, as they began to buzz & ring with some kind of weird distortion. Have no fear, the Russkie Warhead is here! Plopped a spare set of the Voshkods into the Yaq2 & bingo! These wicked Voshkod tubes just cannot be beat! Ordered another pair. There is a God...

March 30th, 2013;
Time to roll some tubes! Decided to plop in some Mullard EF95 tubes into the Yaq2 & man-o-man are they sweet. Changed preamps from a Hitachi HCA-8300 to a Kenwood Basic C1 & the Mullards are delivering by far the most balanced presentation of musical wonderfullness I've ever heard from my stereo. Smoooooooth & deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep bass like I've never before encountered from my hi-fi. The combo of the Mullards & the Kenwood Basic C1 seems to be a match made in heaven. So rich & detailed, with absolutely no harshness or glassiness in the tone from top to bottom. It's the sound I've always been praying to hear. And that is some sweet, sweet candy...

Attachments:
MULLARD EF 95...JPG
MULLARD EF 95...JPG [ 164.38 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]
MULLARD EF 95..JPG
MULLARD EF 95..JPG [ 208.35 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 pm 

Hi all. I just subbed the CD3 for the CD2... The CD2 has Tung-Sols while the CD3 has Electro Harmonix tubes. I use an after market power cord. I placed the CD3 between my Parasound HD DAC 1600 and Sherbourn PT-7030 pre. The audio is run in Bypass mode. Amps are Atlantic Technology A-2000 with Martin Logan SL3's...

Played the re-mastered CD of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"... The CD3 was better in terms of dynamics and fleshing out the details. The CD3 was purchased used but broken in by the owner. The EH's are NOS but I warmed them for a few hours beforehand. Stock tubes that came with it are stored away...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:32 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I love it when threads get revived.
Welcome to CAM!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:13 am 

cableguy wrote:
I love it when threads get revived.
Welcome to CAM!

Thank you! Glad to be here. I came across a deal for the CD3 that was too easy not to pass up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next