Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 pm 

Well, I saw your post along the lines of "if it don't say mullard on it, it ain't" but I purchased some that don't say mullard on them anyways :oops: The seller appeared to be reputable though, and apparently they're marked the way they are because they're government issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251104446936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They unit with stock tubes should be arriving tomorrow or the day after. I'm so excited!!

I thought of something. Unfortunately, in the car setup, the only real location available for the Yaq is right next to the subwoofer. Is this potentially dangerous to the tubes? Microphonics could be an issue?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm 

My YaqCD2 shipped with some Shuguang grey-plate tubes which weren't actually half-bad. Install those tubes if you have no others. You're going to have to provide us with your chain of components in order for us to tell you where to install the YaqCD2. Mine is preamp-to-YaqCD2-to-power amp. Hope this helps and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:14 am 

I use a Grant Fidelity P307 which is actually a Yaqin-built phono pre with an additional line stage input into which I run my cdp. It provides the warmth and texture I get from LP sort of like the tube buffer.

Mine came with the stock Shuguangs too and I found them a bit glassy sounding so
swapped the input tubes for Mullard re-issues (Russian I believe). These are nice and full sounding.

I also changed the power cord to a better one from Take 5 Audio here on CAM (around $50)

This little unit also responds well to quality cabling. Just for fun I added one of my Cardas interconnects. $550 new (I bought for half that on CAM). Yeah so it cost almost double what I paid for the little amp. But man does it sound good. Makes no economic sense of course but it was so good, that I left the cable on and bought another used cable to replace it.

Next change is the output tubes. Likely Mullard reissue if available.

These Chinese built products have been a real boon for those of us wanting to get into tubes withoug going whole hog. I am a solid state guy but the tube unit I have is a whole lot of fun for very little coin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am 

banerjba wrote:
These Chinese built products have been a real boon for those of us wanting to get into tubes withoug going whole hog. I am a solid state guy but the tube unit I have is a whole lot of fun for very little coin.

Couldn't have said it better myself. As for the tubes used, I like to experiment with 'tube-rolling' until I hear what I want, which is a natural, live feel, with really good separation and space for instruments & vocals. Some tubes do indeed sound 'glassy' or 'spitty' and some just don't have enough 'air' to them, hence the experimentation with 'tube-rolling. The Voshkod tubes I'm using now are outstanding in every way & have shown me yet again what a great unit the Yaqin CD2 really is. I recently swapped-in a Marantz AV-550 preamp in my main rig & it has wonderful synergy with the rest of my gear. Plus, it just might have the wickedest remote-control ever made!

Attachments:
DSC00061.JPG
DSC00061.JPG [ 248.04 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
DSC00059.JPG
DSC00059.JPG [ 129.52 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 am 

Awesome remote!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am 

8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:07 am 

Old Rusty wrote:
You're going to have to provide us with your chain of components in order for us to tell you where to install the YaqCD2. Mine is preamp-to-YaqCD2-to-power amp.

I think you missed my posts on the previous page. My posts have to be approved before they can show up :cry: The cd2 would go between my DAC and active speakers via RCA (for home setup). In the car setup, it would go head unit -> cd2 -> amp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm 

lmaosuine wrote:
Old Rusty wrote:
You're going to have to provide us with your chain of components in order for us to tell you where to install the YaqCD2. Mine is preamp-to-YaqCD2-to-power amp.

I think you missed my posts on the previous page. My posts have to be approved before they can show up :cry: The cd2 would go between my DAC and active speakers via RCA (for home setup). In the car setup, it would go head unit -> cd2 -> amp.

Copy that. You'll be in good shape with that config for your home stereo. Just remember this: when you patch everything together, make sure all your gear is turned off. Then in this order, turn your gear back on: DAC - YaqCD2 - then wait at least 60 seconds, then turn on your active speakers. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but after the YaqCD2 is turned on a 'wait time' until you turn on the component after it in the chain is a good idea. Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:30 pm 

Thanks, I'll make sure to do that. According to the tracking report, the cd2 should be waiting at my front step when I get home from work! If it is here I'll take some pics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:50 am 

I had the opportunity to demo the Yaqin sd cd 3 recently and found it quite nice build quality.
The overall sonic effect was what I was looking for when I was using the W4S gear.
I am now using the Nad M2 and I do not need it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm 

Tannoy_Man wrote:
I had the opportunity to demo the Yaqin sd cd 3 recently and found it quite nice build quality.
The overall sonic effect was what I was looking for when I was using the W4S gear.
I am now using the Nad M2 and I do not need it.

I would hope so! :wink:

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/ ... 5000/7554/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:28 pm 

The cd2 has arrived! Wow, I was not expecting too much of a change but I'm blown away. Doing A/B comparisons with headphones really emphasizes the difference. I can't believe I was listening to that gritty sound before at high volumes. I've only broken in this unit for less than two continuous days, also, and the stock Chinese tubes sound great already. They're slowly starting to light up in more places and become warmer with operation (they didn't even seem to be on before - cold and no light at all, but they're slowly "breaking in" and opening up, it seems like).

One thing that caught me off guard was the size. I was expecting this thing to be way, way bigger. And the tubes are miniature! I like the small size of the unit, though. It fits nicely on my desk with my other components.

I tried placing the cd2 in-between my family's blu-ray player and home theater system and put on Showbiz Kids (Steely Dan). My dad was so impressed he started pulling out all his favorite CD's to try through the unit. The excitement is infectious! lol.

I'm having so much fun with this thing right now that I'm gonna end this post even though I have a lot more to say about it. If you are reading this and thinking about buying a tube buffer, DO IT! I was skeptical but after testing it out for myself, I'm in love. The sound is so much more listenable and musical. Everything that I was feverishly hoping would be true and not just an audiophile conspiracy, IS TRUE. YES. This little box is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm 

Btw, interesting article about the nad m2. That sounds like exactly what I'm trying to get away from. But if someone offered me one I definitely wouldn't turn it down. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 am 

" A revelation in almost every audio respect, its accuracy, dynamics, instrumental separation and detail resolution set new standards at the price.
Yeah I have been trying to get away from this as well... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweram ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am 

lmaosuine wrote:
Btw, interesting article about the nad m2. That sounds like exactly what I'm trying to get away from. But if someone offered me one I definitely wouldn't turn it down. :P

oh you must be into vinyl and acoustats!! :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next