Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Yaqin CD2 Tube buffer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm 

Just got 'er in the mail from Toronto by way of China? Tubes installed & warmin' up! Heavy little bugger, that you can literally hold in the palm of your hand. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, not much bigger than this...

-- 07 Apr 2010 00:07 --

After some tube-warming-up time, some '50 Ways To Leave Your Lover' on vinyl, my ####-eating grin is firmly in place. This is without a doubt the coolest little piece of stereo gear I've ever heard. Sweet, sweet candy...

Attachments:
IMG_6236.jpg
IMG_6236.jpg [ 654.22 KiB | Viewed 14678 times ]
IMG_6232.jpg
IMG_6232.jpg [ 111.7 KiB | Viewed 14678 times ]
IMG_6238.jpg
IMG_6238.jpg [ 413.75 KiB | Viewed 14678 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 pm 

I have a couple of Grant's branded version of these. Tried rolling a set of different tubes through them & went back to the originals.

Solved my impedance matching issues with home mid-fi and commercial active crossover nicely. Plus I like the tube induced 'distortions' (here it comes!!!) on the output of my CDP....

Fishin' for compliments again... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:42 pm 

I put mine in the chain between my solid-state CK preamp & my solid-state Marantz MA-500 monoblocks. I'm floored already. How Jimmy Page created a wall of guitars of infinite size is now within my grasp. The Force is indeed with me...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:52 pm 

I so get that. It was the one thing that pushed me to try a tube amp.
Now I'm totally hooked on tube gear...just waiting to be able to fund a good set of monoblocks....
There was a nice tube pre that went up for sale earlier today - it was very difficult not to jump.

Welcome to the vacuum! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 pm 

Thanks. CAM is great, isn't it? Pour yourselves a cold-one, boys! We deserve it...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm 

Thanks for your comments on the Yaqin Buffer. They have a good reputation.

With Yaqin between the preamp and power Amp, do you find it adds Hiss ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm 

My preamp had 1-inch hiss last night before I patched-in the CD2. "1-inch" meaning that with your ear 1-inch away, you can hear hiss. After patching-in the CD2 I detect no additional hiss. Only bliss.

For example, last night before tubes, "Shadows In The Rain" by The Police on CD was great. Today, after tubes, it makes you shake your head in amazement & laugh with maniacal glee! I can't believe it...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:39 pm 

I have recently purchased the B 283 Mk II tube processor from Grant Fidelity. I believe that this is also a Yaqin model.

I am also floored by what a difference it makes in my system. Several previously unplayable CD's are now being rediscovered. Other CD's that were already good have a newer sense of realism and dynamics. However, I must say that this was only possible with some tube rolling - I am using Shuguang Treasure Tubes ( CV 181 Z ) which are absolutely phenomenal.

Ian of Grant Fidelity says that this is expected since my system falls in the category of a higher end system ( I know there was a forum topic that spoke on the matter of what makes something high end but my system cost me 20K plus ). The tubes need to be upgraded if the system is a more costly system as the results are too subtle with stock tubes. Stock tubes will make a bigger difference if the system is more mid-fi.

Essentially, it is amazing that such a small cost item could make that much difference in a system that is very revealing and not too shabby

My system is

Densen Beat 400 XS CD player
Exposure XXI pre-amp
Exposure Super XVIII monoblocks
Magnepan 1.6 QR speakers
Vandersteen 2WQ subwoofer
LFD Silver Horizon interconnects
Cardas Neutral Reference speaker cables
Audioprism Power Foundation II line conditioner

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 pm 

Hey,,,is there such a thing as a balanced tube buffer??? I'm far too posh to use s.e.!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 pm 

Can't say if the stock tubes were any good as I immediately installed the Philips NOS tubes. The Philips tubes are nice, with a thick black plate & nice big o-getter, if that's the proper terminology. There were some GE tubes I almost bought, but they were $100 each.

This unit is phenomenal, period.

-- 07 Apr 2010 04:40 --

For example, the Pink Floyd song 'Time', from Dark Side Of The Moon. I'm thinking to myself..."why would the super-duper grooviness end with the drum-kit landing just a little to the right & a little in the back?"

Because David Gilmore's guitar-riff is coming straight at you like a steamtrain coming out of a tunnel, that's why. Never heard so much depth & positioning of instruments before. Wicked...

-- 07 Apr 2010 05:30 --

'Eclipse' ... Suddenly there's a dude sitting on the couch right next to me, talking...
That is phenomenal.

-- 07 Apr 2010 06:04 --

Eric Clapton - 'The Core' - on vinyl from the album 'Slowhand' - (1977). Swept away in riff like never before. Sweet, sweet candy...

-- 07 Apr 2010 06:16 --

Who knew 'Peaches & Diesel' could sound like headphones, but without the headphones! Sweet, sweet candy...

Last edited by Old Rusty on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:21 pm 

mrhyfy wrote:
Hey,,,is there such a thing as a balanced tube buffer??? I'm far too posh to use s.e.!!!

Yes, Albert at Space Tech makes a few models. He is a recent dealer on CAM and you can find his stuff on the listings, otherwise http://www.space-tech-lab.com

edit: url issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 pm 

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 'Here Comes My Girl' - from the 1979 vinyl album 'Damn The Torpedoes'. That drum sound...that drum sound...

-- 07 Apr 2010 06:48 --

How on earth did Jane's Addiction get the Northern Lights to play along on 'Three Days'...? I swear that the soundstage just keeps getting bigger...

-- 07 Apr 2010 07:27 --

The Cars second album, 'Candy-O' from 1979 has opened a portal in my livingroom 20 feet deep by 20 feet high. My playback equipment has sonically disappeared & the soundstage is now expressing itself at will. I can no longer control it! How many hours in-a-row have I been listening to tube sound? It's like binge drinking with music. Sweet, sweet candy...

-- 07 Apr 2010 07:49 --

The Doors - 'Gloria' - on vinyl from the LP 'Alive, She Cried'. I just sat down with Jim & the boys & had a Budweiser! Jim lets loose a wail at the end of this tune that never fails to ignite my spine hairs...really chilling. Now tube-chilled. Sweet, sweet candy...

-- 07 Apr 2010 08:17 --

Glenn Gould decides to drop-in & lay a little piano music on me. "It's Bach..." he says "The Goldberg Variations..." Glenn does his thing, in mono no less. He sits to the left & plays upright grand-piano? I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like to me. I tell him "That's a hell-of-a debut album, dude..." Gould digs it!

His performance makes me understand the benefits of my Technics SL-D2 direct-drive turntable...perfect pitch. Nary a wow, nary a flutter. Sweet, sweet candy...

-- 07 Apr 2010 08:39 --

Gould begat Metallica methinks...so Lars & Co. decide to kick my ### with 'One' on vinyl from '...And Justice For All'. I've now gone back in time. I can actually hear 1988! Sweet, sweet candy...

-- 07 Apr 2010 08:57 --

Pearl Jam decides to start a tornado in my livingroom with 'Rearview Mirror' from 1993's CD 'Vs'. I recover my sanity with the super-fat-chunky bassline of 'Rats'... Then 'An Elderly Woman...' guides me back to the soft-comfort of my beer...

-- 07 Apr 2010 09:16 --

'Roundabout' the first song on side one of the 1972 vinyl album 'Fragile', by 'Yes'. I've only heard this song about 1000 times. Tonight reset the bar. Re-stack the bar would be nice...

-- 07 Apr 2010 09:46 --

Tyler tops-up the evening with 'Reefer Head Woman', from Aerosmith's 1979 recording 'Right In The Nuts'. I can't play my stereo any louder, as finally I don't have to...it just keeps getting bigger! Why did I spend so looooooooooooooooooooong getting around to tubes? D'oh!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 am 

lol... cool Rusty... I'm happy for ya...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am 

Sounds like you're having a blast. Rock on Rusty, "let the good times roll"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:54 am 

Old Rusty wrote:
My preamp had 1-inch hiss last night before I patched-in the CD2. "1-inch" meaning that with your ear 1-inch away, you can hear hiss. After patching-in the CD2 I detect no additional hiss. Only bliss.

For example, last night before tubes, "Shadows In The Rain" by The Police on CD was great. Today, after tubes, it makes you shake your head in amazement & laugh with maniacal glee! I can't believe it...

Great Description - 1 inch Hiss
That's quite impressive - better then most preamps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next