Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:36 am 

I have no experience on these two Chinese tubes and would like to get anyone’s feedback on their first hand experience on them. I’m looking to put them on my modified MP-301 SET that is currently using GL KT88 reissues.

I understand that there are several blogs online regarding this very topic but I trust and take CAM community feedback more than what is readily available online.

Thoughts on sound quality and reliability?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 am 

I've used the Psvane KT88-TII, 12AT7-TII, 12AU7-TII and 12AX7-TII in the past. I've been very impressed with the whole line. I ran the KT88, 12AT7 and 12AU7 in my previous amp for 5 years without a problem of any kind.

I'm now using the Shuguang Treasure CV181-z (a 6SN7-variant) in my preamp and amp, and Shuguang 12AX7 in my phono preamp. My preamp takes 4 6SN7 tubes. The sweet spot for me is 2 x CV181-z and 2 x Sylvania Chrome Dome 6SN7.

They are very good value for their price. Are there better sounding tubes out there? Perhaps, but so far, I haven't found a tube that I like better. In my experience, they are a reliable tube.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
I've used the Psvane KT88-TII, 12AT7-TII, 12AU7-TII and 12AX7-TII in the past. I've been very impressed with the whole line. I ran the KT88, 12AT7 and 12AU7 in my previous amp for 5 years without a problem of any kind.

I'm now using the Shuguang Treasure CV181-z (a 6SN7-variant) in my preamp and amp, and Shuguang 12AX7 in my phono preamp. My preamp takes 4 6SN7 tubes. The sweet spot for me is 2 x CV181-z and 2 x Sylvania Chrome Dome 6SN7.

They are very good value for their price. Are there better sounding tubes out there? Perhaps, but so far, I haven't found a tube that I like better. In my experience, they are a reliable tube.

YMMV.

Thank you for your insight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 pm 

At one point Psvane and Shugang were more or less the same thing. Same factory anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
At one point Psvane and Shugang were more or less the same thing. Same factory anyway.

True but I believe that Psvane started releasing their KT88-TII after moving out of Shuguang factory. I really want to try a pair of these but I don’t know which one to grab first

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm 
Premium User

I had the 12AX7 t2’s (from new) and loved them after two weeeks I ordered the black bottle triple mica’s and love those even more.

I don’t think you will be disappointed.

M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:16 am 

dmitchell wrote:

That's like saying since the Ford Fusion Titanium was built in the same factory as the Aston Martin, they are the same car... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

That's like saying since the Ford Fusion Titanium was built in the same factory as the Aston Martin, they are the same car... :lol:

Could be when it comes with stuff from China. Who really knows?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 am 

I'll chime in with another suggestion. Based on my experience with the MP301 you might want to consider the new production JJ KT77 tubes. I do like the Shuguang KT88 but it lacks a lot of clarity in comparison to the JJ KT77. I've run almost every kind of power tube in the MP301 from old vintage 6V6, GE6550, TS6550, Many EL 34 variants, KT 66/88/120 and KT150 and I still prefer the JJ KT77 due to its sparkling presentation with clear definition, lots of air around the instruments, good layering and it has just enough of that blooming midrange to remind you it's a SET tube amp. I have a pair of Shuguang select KT88 I slip in for some styles of rock as it takes the edge off the overblown qualities of guitars and still thumps well down low. My musical preferences are all over the map but I mainly listen to acoustic, classical, Jazz, Folk and vocal based music most of the time but like Rock and Country and there's a right tube for everything. The MP301 is a great SE amp and can make the most of your tubes so I try to keep lots of different pairs on hand to roll through depending on the source.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 am 

petersch wrote:
I'll chime in with another suggestion. Based on my experience with the MP301 you might want to consider the new production JJ KT77 tubes. I do like the Shuguang KT88 but it lacks a lot of clarity in comparison to the JJ KT77. I've run almost every kind of power tube in the MP301 from old vintage 6V6, GE6550, TS6550, Many EL 34 variants, KT 66/88/120 and KT150 and I still prefer the JJ KT77 due to its sparkling presentation with clear definition, lots of air around the instruments, good layering and it has just enough of that blooming midrange to remind you it's a SET tube amp. I have a pair of Shuguang select KT88 I slip in for some styles of rock as it takes the edge off the overblown qualities of guitars and still thumps well down low. My musical preferences are all over the map but I mainly listen to acoustic, classical, Jazz, Folk and vocal based music most of the time but like Rock and Country and there's a right tube for everything. The MP301 is a great SE amp and can make the most of your tubes so I try to keep lots of different pairs on hand to roll through depending on the source.

Have fun!

Great. Thanks Peter.