Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 829
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Too bad we didn't have a thumbs up button, I'd need 2 for sure. I love the way your system came together and it's all about the music, very well done. What phono stage are you using? Maybe it needs some mods? :mrgreen:

_________________
¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
petersch wrote:
Too bad we didn't have a thumbs up button, I'd need 2 for sure. I love the way your system came together and it's all about the music, very well done. What phono stage are you using? Maybe it needs some mods? :mrgreen:



Thanks Peter.

I am currently using Parks Audio Budgie with SIEMENS CCA Silver shields. I’ve set the preamp load at 57.4K which gives more of an open soundstage on this particular cart. I am actually looking at Musical Paradise offering of new phono pre. However, my Exact 2 MM cartridge is quite new. Less than 150 hours on it so I am not looking at going overboard on a new phono pre for now.

It would be nice if this phono pre can be modded. It’s still under warranty though so if I had to mod it, I won’t be touching it until warranty expires.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Layton, UT, US
Have something interesting to share.

My friend recently got an Ampsandsound Mogwai 6l6/kT88 integrated amp similar in spec to the MP-301 that I could compare to.
http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/mogwai/
This thing costs $2400.

My modded MP301 out performed the Mogwai in almost every category with the same Power Tubes, sure I may be biased, but my friend who purchased the Mogwai also agreed!

Keep in mind that this is a highly/favorably reviewed amp.

Just thought you guys would appreciate this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 829
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Wow,

That's something I didn't expect to see. I do think that once modified the little MP301MK2/3 is a formidable contender for any SE amp under $1000. The MP501 takes on similar characteristics once some of my mods are thrown at it as well. It's great to see such enjoyment and value out of a few parts thrown at an already good product. Thanks for sharing and keep on modding !!

_________________
¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Stevedlu wrote:
Have something interesting to share.

My friend recently got an Ampsandsound Mogwai 6l6/kT88 integrated amp similar in spec to the MP-301 that I could compare to.
http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/mogwai/
This thing costs $2400.

My modded MP301 out performed the Mogwai in almost every category with the same Power Tubes, sure I may be biased, but my friend who purchased the Mogwai also agreed!

Keep in mind that this is a highly/favorably reviewed amp.

Just thought you guys would appreciate this.



Awesome. Thanks for sharing Steve. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Brampton, ON, CA
Back at it again. After I put 2 filter cap of 220uF/25v back in C6/C6A, I thought it would restore output volume listening level. I didn't, it got worse. Somehow the right channel is barely audible/way lower than the left. It's the same offending, broken channel, before the fix/upgrade. So I am back at it and remove the C6/C6A cap. I think I will upgrade C8/C8A while at it. But I would like to trouble shoot the problem with the right channel. I have eliminated all other possibility of failures, like switch the sources (CD/Aux), switch speakers, switch combination of Amp/Pre-Amp tubes.
Any idea what should I check/replace?
Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Gents, I was wondering if any of you have toyed around with the idea of changing the choke and transformers of your MP-301. I’m looking at Hammonds. Part of the education process for me is to learn more about this stuff and possibly gain more knowledge before moving up the food chain as they say.

The thing is, I don’t even know where to begin when looking at suitable parts replacements as the parts inside the amp are unmarked.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5cindex.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 104
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Bellapig wrote:
Gents, I was wondering if any of you have toyed around with the idea of changing the choke and transformers of your MP-301. I’m looking at Hammonds. Part of the education process for me is to learn more about this stuff and possibly gain more knowledge before moving up the food chain as they say.

The thing is, I don’t even know where to begin when looking at suitable parts replacements as the parts inside the amp are unmarked.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5cindex.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated.



Ive been down this road a bit. I sent one of the output transformers to Cinemag to get tested and see whether there was a better alternative. The OT's are designed for the 301, and are actually pretty decent. Without the circuit diagram its hard come up with an off the shelf alternative that would be appreciably better. It would be nice to put a bigger choke in because it really needs one, but you are constrained by size. You might be able to jury rig something, but it wouldn't be ideal.The power transformer is potted inside that enclosure and again without the correct specs, and considering the physical limitations changing it is not really an option either.

The reality is that you can only do so much with the MP301. I just quit on the 301 and got a fully custom HP amp built to my specs instead.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Brooster wrote:
Bellapig wrote:
Gents, I was wondering if any of you have toyed around with the idea of changing the choke and transformers of your MP-301. I’m looking at Hammonds. Part of the education process for me is to learn more about this stuff and possibly gain more knowledge before moving up the food chain as they say.

The thing is, I don’t even know where to begin when looking at suitable parts replacements as the parts inside the amp are unmarked.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5cindex.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated.



Ive been down this road a bit. I sent one of the output transformers to Cinemag to get tested and see whether there was a better alternative. The OT's are designed for the 301, and are actually pretty decent. Without the circuit diagram its hard come up with an off the shelf alternative that would be appreciably better. It would be nice to put a bigger choke in because it really needs one, but you are constrained by size. You might be able to jury rig something, but it wouldn't be ideal.The power transformer is potted inside that enclosure and again without the correct specs, and considering the physical limitations changing it is not really an option either.

The reality is that you can only do so much with the MP301. I just quit on the 301 and got a fully custom HP amp built to my specs instead.


I see. Thank you for the quick response. I’ll just swap the fuse to Hifi tuning then and learn first hand if there really is something there about audiophile fuses.


Attachments:
B539A217-AA01-4501-A1DE-2382DD2E2A34.jpeg
B539A217-AA01-4501-A1DE-2382DD2E2A34.jpeg [ 212.32 KiB | Viewed 968 times ]


Last edited by Bellapig on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 104
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Ive just finished rebuilding my MP-D2 from a MK1 to a Sabre MK2


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 648
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Stevedlu wrote:
Have something interesting to share.

My friend recently got an Ampsandsound Mogwai 6l6/kT88 integrated amp similar in spec to the MP-301 that I could compare to.
http://ampsandsound.com/products/headphone-amps/mogwai/
This thing costs $2400.

My modded MP301 out performed the Mogwai in almost every category with the same Power Tubes, sure I may be biased, but my friend who purchased the Mogwai also agreed!

Keep in mind that this is a highly/favorably reviewed amp.

Just thought you guys would appreciate this.


That is really impressive!! Do you have a parts/mod list that you completed for your 301?

petersch wrote:
Myself, I'm more than willing to assist locally and have been doing these types mods for a long time. They were still teaching tube theory when I was in school so I've learned to respect HV and have been zapped many times as a reminder of what not to touch!


Perhaps for our dac mash-up, I could get a quick run-down on this stuff. Love the idea of modding but the HV (as a previous electrician) does concern me. Proper checking with a meter, hesitation and utmost respect to HV is wired into my brain :lol:

These amps seem like a great inrto to modding tube amps.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Denver, CO, US
Hi Guys..

Thanks a million for this thread. I had already purchased a MP-301 MK3 (refurb version) a week ago before i discovered this thread. Just received mine today and hope you can answer a couple questions for me.

I'm pretty good with taking stuff apart and putting back together, but have never soldered before. You think that would be easy to learn/do on this amp for the basic mods everyone is doing here? There's a local guy that charges $80/hr, but if it's just basic soldering, i kinda feel i could learn that while doing it on this amp?

Anyone have any pics or suggestions on best way to remove the board to replace the different caps, etc? Also what tools are needed besides some basic allen wrench/heads?

I'm going to document my journey with this, full pics and all, hopefully to help other newbs like me.

Thanks again for all the great info here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Denver, CO, US
petersch wrote:
I'm glad to have another convert on board. These little amps have such amazing potential and guys such as yourself are a huge part of the success story. It is really a simple procedure to transform this amp into something much better. I love mine as a headphone amp and it drives Klipsch RB61 Reference iv speakers with aplomb on my desktop system utilizing a heavily modified MP-D1 DAC. I seriously love these little amps and the bang for buck ratio is off the scale.

Cheers


Hi Peter - could you take a stab at my previous post above?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 2905
Location: Airdrie, AB, CA
brianmedia wrote:
Hi Guys..

Thanks a million for this thread. I had already purchased a MP-301 MK3 (refurb version) a week ago before i discovered this thread. Just received mine today and hope you can answer a couple questions for me.

I'm pretty good with taking stuff apart and putting back together, but have never soldered before. You think that would be easy to learn/do on this amp for the basic mods everyone is doing here? There's a local guy that charges $80/hr, but if it's just basic soldering, i kinda feel i could learn that while doing it on this amp?

Anyone have any pics or suggestions on best way to remove the board to replace the different caps, etc? Also what tools are needed besides some basic allen wrench/heads?

I'm going to document my journey with this, full pics and all, hopefully to help other newbs like me.

Thanks again for all the great info here.


I was in the "never soldered before" category a couple years ago before I got my Quickie. My best suggestion would be to get an old component that is heading for the recycle/dump and use that to practice on. Get some solder wick and some leaded solder (plus an iron of some kind !) and start removing components and resoldering them. Good practice and no risk.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Denver, CO, US
airdronian wrote:

I was in the "never soldered before" category a couple years ago before I got my Quickie. My best suggestion would be to get an old component that is heading for the recycle/dump and use that to practice on. Get some solder wick and some leaded solder (plus an iron of some kind !) and start removing components and resoldering them. Good practice and no risk.


Thanks. I've been thinking of grabbing something from thrift store to practice on. good suggestion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group