Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 pm 

petersch wrote:
Bellapig wrote:
One more thing. Based on my picture below. Can anyone of you tell me the electrically correct polarity of the Red WIMA coupling caps? Which ones are inputs and output ends?

Partsconnexion just told me that they are sold out of Musicaps so I'm going for Auricap XO instead. I know that the coupling capacitors are non-polarized but apparently these Auricaps have inside and outside foils that can greatly reduce noise if installed properly.

Again, thank you so much.

Coupling caps in the MP301 have no polarity. It should make no difference which way you install the replacements. Why not try them either direction and report back to the thread with your findings? I'm certain you aren't the only one who has had this question. I'm sure I already know the answer but it doesn't cost anything to try your experiment. I'm too old school to believe in directional coupling caps.

OK. Thank you Peter.

I may have a chance to actually do the mod sometime next week. I am just waiting for parts from PartsConnexion to arrive.

I will observe for a month after the mod then report back.

I will run a trace on those signal capacitors to place them correctly the first time, as I am a busy person with little kids. I really do not have a ton of free time to be toying around.

Good read here;
http://jimmyauw.com/2010/04/24/observin ... apacitors/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 am 

No worries,

I'm just a skeptic at heart and understand physics. There is a possibility of a "skin" effect on the signal as with cables so I'm not completely discarding the idea. I have an old ST70 with Russian PIO Caps and they have no shielding so yes, the orientation makes a difference if you don't want to get electrocuted by accidentally touching the outer shell of the capacitor. I never tried reversing them for possible sound differences. Very interesting angle you've uncovered. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 pm 

Whoever built my amp must have love hot glue. I just spent hours knifing through the caps. :(

The blue generic Chinese caps were the worst glued-in of them all then the two black Rubycon filter caps. The red WIMA coupling caps weren’t so badly glued but they still took a while to take out.

I had to snap the 180uf Green Nichicon connectors because there’s solder blobs on the other side that my solder sucker can’t pull out and the solder holes for one of the filter caps on the other side of the board is right underneath it.

I just ordered replacements for that 180uf from Digi-Key. Charge it to experience I suppose. I'll install whichever one fits better.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/3565298
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3929805

Progress is slow since I have to go to work but so far so good. It is getting there.

Attachments:
File comment: After.

In progress.

E593D041-F49B-4A57-8538-D7A8DFE19267.jpeg
E593D041-F49B-4A57-8538-D7A8DFE19267.jpeg [ 291.34 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
File comment: Before.
C5AF9856-7967-4617-8090-33E88C8A6F2D.jpeg
C5AF9856-7967-4617-8090-33E88C8A6F2D.jpeg [ 353.77 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
4AAE02BE-32DD-4691-B7EE-85B2192FE739.jpeg
4AAE02BE-32DD-4691-B7EE-85B2192FE739.jpeg [ 299.95 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]
7670C3D8-0604-4477-BD99-4AB2C6DF2B44.jpeg
7670C3D8-0604-4477-BD99-4AB2C6DF2B44.jpeg [ 384.52 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm 

Just a few hours of run in after the mod and I can already tell that this mod works and what an amp it has become.

It is readily apparent even with my humble set up that performing the mod on this amp justifies the small amount of investment and time required to complete it.

Thank you so much to the folks who has recommended, tested and modified this amp previously for without their guidance/feedback it wouldn’t be possible for me to do this myself.

Now it lives by its moniker. “Musical” indeed.

Thank you.

Attachments:
File comment: New Rubycon 390uf 450V filter caps.
30EE824D-A043-4787-A1A9-2EA78F82C6B5.jpeg
30EE824D-A043-4787-A1A9-2EA78F82C6B5.jpeg [ 238.83 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
File comment: Finally.
8AAB0E59-82A8-43E8-BEED-8E029254DD2F.jpeg
8AAB0E59-82A8-43E8-BEED-8E029254DD2F.jpeg [ 374.67 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm 

Looks like you did a super job, Congrats!!

I'm glad to have another convert on board. These little amps have such amazing potential and guys such as yourself are a huge part of the success story. It is really a simple procedure to transform this amp into something much better. I love mine as a headphone amp and it drives Klipsch RB61 Reference iv speakers with aplomb on my desktop system utilizing a heavily modified MP-D1 DAC. I seriously love these little amps and the bang for buck ratio is off the scale.

Just wait until those caps break in!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:16 pm 

petersch wrote:
Looks like you did a super job, Congrats!!

I'm glad to have another convert on board. These little amps have such amazing potential and guys such as yourself are a huge part of the success story. It is really a simple procedure to transform this amp into something much better. I love mine as a headphone amp and it drives Klipsch RB61 Reference iv speakers with aplomb on my desktop system utilizing a heavily modified MP-D1 DAC. I seriously love these little amps and the bang for buck ratio is off the scale.

Just wait until those caps break in!

Cheers

Thank you Peter. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm 

Bellapig wrote:
Just a few hours of run in after the mod and I can already tell that this mod works and what an amp it has become.

It is readily apparent even with my humble set up that performing the mod on this amp justifies the small amount of investment and time required to complete it.

Thank you so much to the folks who has recommended, tested and modified this amp previously for without their guidance/feedback it wouldn’t be possible for me to do this myself.

Thank you.

Nice work indeed!

What I'd like to know is how did you score those Tele EF86s? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

congrats bella, have fun listening to the transformed rig!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

devon58 wrote:
Bellapig wrote:

Thank you.

Nice work indeed!

What I'd like to know is how did you score those Tele EF86s? :?:

I rolled some tubes before. I had MAZDA Belgian EF86 (Grey hat meshed plates 60's (OK sounding) , Yellow Mullards EF86 Blackburns 60's (Fat sounding but rolled off) and 6SJ7WGT JAN Philips USA '80s (Flat presentation, rough and edgy sound) all from EBay. None can touch the TFK EF86, smooth as butter.

I got the NOS TFK EF86 from a German seller named "euroklang".

I also tried SED Winged C 6550 on the power stage. Really fat sounding tubes. It just doesn't have the resolution of the GL KT88s. It's night and day between the two. So I stuck with GL KT88 and sold the 6550.

At first, I actually thought that I messed up.

I turned on the MP-301 and my tube phono preamp (Parks Audio Budgie with Siemens CCA Silver Shields) left them to warm up for 15 minutes.

I went back and put the volume up to 12 O'Clock and no sound was coming out. Not even the faintest static.

I then dropped the needle on my 2016 Rega P3, Groovetracer modded with Exact 2 cartridge, still the volume was at noon, and nothing. I heard no ticks, pops, nothing. Then the music exploded. Wow! I checked that both speakers are firing and yep they are.

I was surprised on how quiet this amp is now aside from the obvious added musicality. I didn't do the grounding mod. Just the capacitor changes and it has gone to another level of blackness. Awesome!

I am very happy with the mods.

-- 06 Dec 2017 19:08 --

Stevedlu wrote:
congrats bella, have fun listening to the transformed rig!

Thank you Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm 

There’s also a mod that I’ve done to the amp before. I purchased an Ice Age Audio Copper/Copper cryo treated power cord and it did warm up the sound. I am using a voltage regulator for all of my kit and I have not experienced a blown fuse. I am hoping that I wouldn’t go through the whole fuse drama since I’ve increased the filter caps.

Attachments:
F381840A-CAA5-47CF-A727-2C3D348F9339.jpeg
F381840A-CAA5-47CF-A727-2C3D348F9339.jpeg [ 305.26 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

Last edited by Bellapig on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm 

Bellapig wrote:
There’s also a mod that I’ve done to the amp before. I purchased an Ice Age Audio Copper/Copper cryo treated power cord and it did warm up the sound. I am using a voltage regulator for all of my kit and I have not experienced a blown fuse. I am hoping that I wouldn’t go through the whole fuse drama since I’ve increased the filter caps.

Nice find, I got some inexpensive power connectors and tried out various gauges of bulk power chord at Home Depot and found 12awg 300v to increase the bass impact substantially compared to the rest. I also have a Furman PF-Pro R, power conditioner that has linear AC power filtering via large capacitors which makes everything sound BIGGER. It’s a night and day difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:30 pm 

Stevedlu wrote:
Bellapig wrote:

Nice find, I got some inexpensive power connectors and tried out various gauges of bulk power chord at Home Depot and found 12awg 300v to increase the bass impact substantially compared to the rest. I also have a Furman PF-Pro R, power conditioner that has linear AC power filtering via large capacitors which makes everything sound BIGGER. It’s a night and day difference.

Believe me. I believe in clean power for analogue chains. It really makes everything sound much meatier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20