Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Luxman 1120A
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 pm 

Hey just new to the site and was wondering about this luxman reciever. I just ended up with this unit on the weekend it's in mint cosmetic shape and had to be cleaned from the dust but is working good. It seems to sound very nice but not as well as my marantz. I'm just wondering what it might be worth seems that there are not many of these units for sale.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Luxman 1120A
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm 

And there is a very good reason why you don't seem to find any for sale. You might also think your Marantz is a better amp/receiver, but you might change your mind after a while.
What you have in your hands, the 1120A (there is also the previous 1120), are some of the best of any receivers from the late 70s. People are always enamoured with Marantz's products, good receivers no doubt, but there are better, much better, and one of them is the one you found.
My .02¢

Price wise, search the net, you will find what you are looking for, which is quite high...

Sell your Marantz, people are always going gaga for one of them... :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 pm 

moinau wrote:
And there is a very good reason why you don't seem to find any for sale. You might also think your Marantz is a better amp/receiver, but you might change your mind after a while.
What you have in your hands, the 1120A (there is also the previous 1120), are some of the best of any receivers from the late 70s. People are always enamoured with Marantz's products, good receivers no doubt, but there are better, much better, and one of them is the one you found.
My .02¢

Price wise, search the net, you will find what you are looking for, which is quite high...

I agree.....but will gladly admit my bias. I own 2 Luxman '70's Integrated Amps and love them.
This would be a unit (in my opinion) worth looking deeper in to - maybe it needs a little tlc inside for it to be performing to its optimum.

Worth the time/investment imo.

Good luck with your decisions....lovely find!

-- 28 Sep 2017 05:55 --

Jodyb wrote:
Hey just new to the site and was wondering about this luxman reciever. I just ended up with this unit on the weekend it's in mint cosmetic shape and had to be cleaned from the dust but is working good. It seems to sound very nice but not as well as my marantz. I'm just wondering what it might be worth seems that there are not many of these units for sale.

Thanks

Oh, and welcome to CAM!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 am 

Also the last of the best Luxman had to offer prior to the company being sold to Alpine Electronics. Alpine was a car stereo company wanting to get in the home audio business. Aside from the Harman Kardon 930, 730 and Citation receivers, the Luxman R1040.1050,1070, 1120A, Marantz (see below), Tandberg TR200. Sansui 8080DB, 9090DB with the Yamaha CR 2020 were the best receivers produced in my opinion. HK invented the receiver and companies like Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer, sony soon followed.

Saul Marantz new that looks mattered. Sound was important but the cosmetic appeal of his receivers helped him outsell most of his competitors back in the 1970's. This was also a company that had already been sold once by the time the 2200 series receivers came out. Still, a Marantz tube amp like the 7A, 7B will fetch more dollars than anything else they produced. However, to this day there is still demand for Marantz receivers. This despite the fact that only one wears the crown.

The Harman Kardon 930 with it's twin powered supplies (one for each channel rather the conventional single supply for both), quality components (Elna caps for one example), and excellent build quality overall makes it one of the best in it's class. HK replicated this success with the Citation receiver which was limited to only about 1000 units produced. I owned one when they first came out in 1978.

Saul Marantz produced his first component, a pre-amp with an eq, so that he could playback his friend Andre Segovia's records and make them sound better. His wife suggested he start an audio company. Syd Harman did it better focussing more purely on sound quality. Most of the best sounding Marantz product is tube equipment, However, I have owned many Marantz receivers over the years and the following ones are clearly the best sounding in my opinion. The 2238, 2275, 2230, and the 1152 DC integrated amp are my top Marantz pics. Of that lot, the 1152DC has the slight edge over the 2275, for the 70's, wears the crown for best Marantz receiver. Still I would put the HK 930 as being comparable or better in some ways. I'm not considering power output but just the tonal quality, range, sound stage- channel separation (remember, twin powered).

When Syd Harman saw what happened with HK when Beatrice Foods (what?) owned and ran the company, he just had to buy it back before they drove his namesake company into the ground and started Harman International. Ultimately, of the two audio pioneers, Syd Harman was more successful- by keeping it real.

-- 28 Sep 2017 04:31 --

moinau wrote:
My .02¢

Yeah the move these days has been to replace all the audio path caps, power supply caps, clean the switches and pots, replace lamps (some use LED instead of the orig 8V lamps). Then, they ask for more than twice what the actual resale price would be otherwise. I don't know if they are getting the money they ask for but, that's the trend with Marantz receivers lately.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:29 am 

Thanks guys very informative I'm new to this addition and seem to be very lucky with getting vintage systems at very good prices.
I have cleaned up the luxman and have to set it up to compare the sound to the marantz 2325 that I have been listening to. I guess it should be a fair test because the output of both receivers are almost the same other then a few extra bells and whistles on the marantz. I love the fm accutouch feature and this reciever is beautifully made with precision on all components. Haven't seen any other vintage system built this way even to the smallest screws holding the back cooling grate in place.

I will post my results once I get some opinions on what sounds better.

Here's what I'm using marantz 2325 into preamp marantz 4000 to pioneer hmp 60 and older 1990 nuance 9s. Going to hook up straight to the speakers

Thanks and appreciate inputs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:30 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Be careful with an 1120A model, as it has unique output transistors. They are built out of unobtanium.

No slip ups with speaker wiring, no driving it hard, limiting the times it is used --- until it is recapped.

Might last a few more years with minimal issues, without being recapped, but you are approaching the 'nearly full gun' end of the Russian roulette pool (every time you hit that power switch...), when it comes to gear that is getting old.

A careful inspection and proper recapping will drastically improve it's chances -as a new lease on life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am 

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-R-1120A.html
8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Alot of nice receivers mentioned in this thread. I have always liked the look of that Luxman series and almost bought the 1050, but I was slow on the trigger. I haven't heard them yet.

I have worked on and heard a lot of Marantz receivers including the 2325. It is not only designed for looks it is very well built as well. Looking at the attached pics I would say the 2325 is better built, but I would like to see the 1120a first hand.

I ended up meeting the guy who had the 1050 for sale. He buys and sells alot of gear. He had a 2325 and swore buy it and would never sell it. He has listened to a lot of gear. A few years after meeting him he sold the 2325 after hearing a Pioneer SX-1050.

Another thing to consider is the availability of parts and knowledge of a vintage piece. There is a lot of both for the 2325. It is well respected receiver that even has people producing exact replacement parts.

The bottom line is what sounds best to you. I have customers that love Sansui and hate Marantz, others that love the Marantz sound but dislike Yamaha. etc., etc. It is a matter of personal preference and there are many quality units from all these manufacturers.

Take the 4000 pre-amp out of the signal path and compare the two receivers straight up, consider some of the other factors, and decide what is best for you.

Enjoy the sound and let us know what you thought.

Regards
Bob

Attachments:
marantz_2325_4.jpg
marantz_2325_4.jpg [ 44.71 KiB | Viewed 665 times ]
239009-luxman_r1120_monster_receiver_120_wpc.jpg
239009-luxman_r1120_monster_receiver_120_wpc.jpg [ 324.34 KiB | Viewed 665 times ]

Last edited by The Nostalgia Co on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:20 pm 

Jodyb wrote:
Thanks guys very informative I'm new to this addition and seem to be very lucky with getting vintage systems at very good prices.
I have cleaned up the luxman and have to set it up to compare the sound to the marantz 2325 that I have been listening to. I guess it should be a fair test because the output of both receivers are almost the same other then a few extra bells and whistles on the marantz. I love the fm accutouch feature and this reciever is beautifully made with precision on all components. Haven't seen any other vintage system built this way even to the smallest screws holding the back cooling grate in place.

I will post my results once I get some opinions on what sounds better.

Here's what I'm using marantz 2325 into preamp marantz 4000 to pioneer hmp 60 and older 1990 nuance 9s. Going to hook up straight to the speakers

Thanks and appreciate inputs

The 2325 has a decent tuner but the Luxman is deff a better tuner. Overall I would guess the Luxman will sound better. That depends on the condition of each receiver but assuming both are performing to spec (more or less given their respective ages), the output stage bias wasn't over or under set etc.. I can't imagine the Luxman not having tighter bass, more of an open spacial sound, better overall tonal quality, better quality components in the Luxman,inc switches, pots, not just the caps etc..

Luxman had something to prove to earn more market share at that time, Marantz did not. So, at the very least, which company do you think tried harder to earn your business? However, your 1120A does not have discrete power transisistors in the output stage, they are IC's, unlike the Marantz. Your Marantz is worth more to resell than the Luxman although I get that it's a secondary concern here for you. Oh yeah, next work on the speakers youre using and most importantly the source- CD and or turntable. Ultimately you go by what sounds better to you when comparing the Marantz and Luxman receivers. The Marantz

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Sorry OP I almost to forgot to actually answer your question. I was only able to find completed listing on eBay for the 1120 not the A version. They ranged from 370 USD to 660 USD. The top price was mint and included the original box and manual.

Another external factor is collectibility if you ever want to sell. Without a doubt, a lot of people look for Marantz. I saw a 2325 on eBay that had all the paperwork, original box, with an immaculate restoration sell for $3000 USD.

Again at the end of day it is what is best for you.

Last edited by The Nostalgia Co on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm 

The Nostalgia Co wrote:
I was only able to find completed listing on eBay for the 1120 not the A version. They ranged from 370 USD to 660 USD. The top price was mint and included the original box and manual.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 5573.m1684

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:21 pm 

Just wondering if this reciever has the Dolby board installed here is a picture of it?
I want to thank all for helping thinking at the end of the day that I'm keeping both of these

Attachments:
20170928_211606.jpg
20170928_211606.jpg [ 418.82 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:54 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

they are not quite IC devices on the outputs, they are 4 pin transistors, like that of the 1280-1980 pioneer units. Might even be the same ones. Might be good to check.

Could be good to grab a trashed lux unit for the spare devices which can't be obtained for love nor money. Must be the 1120a, the earlier 1120 uses regular transistors.

Just checked, both the pioneer and the lux use NEC 4 pin output transistors, which are so rare in anything... that the lux units are probably the same units as in the pioneer units.

Found some. Buy em while you can. First time I've seen them in at least a decade.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/audio1man/m.htm ... 7675.l2562

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm 

Hey Ken do you do any repairs because I'm working in the Kingston area during the week and the unit is with me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am 

Is the power switch a common problem with these receivers it seems to that the internal lights flicker when wiggle the power switch. I have removed it and tryed to clean it but its a sealed switch it seems a bit better after cleaning.