Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 am 

Hi:
I am looking for someone in the Niagara area to repair my Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck,probably
needs belts,idler tire. Unit powers up,but won't play,FF,RW. Thanks,Huck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 am 

If it won't do anything on button presses it's probably a bad cam motor. You could try giving the cam motor a nudge and some deoxit in it's holes. Sometimes this is all it needs and everything starts working again. You may find it only has 2 belts and a gear for the idler. Take off the front plate to expose the idler to find out if you have a gear.

My newly acquired bx300 reel motor was lazy at first after coming out of retirement. After spraying it with some deoxit and letting run constantly for awhile, it works great. If your bx300 is coming out of storage like mine was, your motors might of developed some corrosion and now have dead spots. If your lucky they bounce back to life through running them and a little deoxit. If not they will need to be repaired or replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm 

ae86 wrote:
If it won't do anything on button presses it's probably a bad cam motor. You could try giving the cam motor a nudge and some deoxit in it's holes. Sometimes this is all it needs and everything starts working again. You may find it only has 2 belts and a gear for the idler. Take off the front plate to expose the idler to find out if you have a gear.

My newly acquired bx300 reel motor was lazy at first after coming out of retirement. After spraying it with some deoxit and letting run constantly for awhile, it works great. If your bx300 is coming out of storage like mine was, your motors might of developed some corrosion and now have dead spots. If your lucky they bounce back to life through running them and a little deoxit. If not they will need to be repaired or replaced.

The deck plays for about two seconds in play,then times out,once the heads realize the tape is not moving....it just stops.
I need someone to give it a tune-up.Someone in the Niagara area.
Thanks,Huck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm 

Great sounding deck hope you get it fixed. Shouldn't need a specialized Nakamichi tech to fix.

Dead spots in the motors are a common problem with the sankyo mechanism in these decks. Minus any missing/broken belts, probably a motor problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm 

ae86 wrote:
Great sounding deck hope you get it fixed. Shouldn't need a specialized Nakamichi tech to fix.

Dead spots in the motors are a common problem with the sankyo mechanism in these decks. Minus any missing/broken belts, probably a motor problem.

Yeah...nice sounding deck....I have about 30 cassettes that I recorded for my car back in 1980 and they sound as good as the day I recorded them.
I have a tech in B.C. that may be able to work on it,but not too keen on shipping that far...hoped to get someone closer to home.
These old decks need to be played constantly and they don't like sitting around unplayed. Thanks, Huck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 pm 

A bit old, but this may help, he is in your area...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23801

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
A bit old, but this may help, he is in your area...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23801

Regards
Ohms

Thanks! I contacted him and I will be dropping the deck off this week.Huck