Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Service for Linn LP 12
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 am 

Hello
Can anyone steer me to a good service person for a Linn LP 12?
I did see on this site a service person recommended who deals mostly in Linn (I think it was in Hamilton) but can no longer find the post.
It plays fine but I want to have it looked over, set up checked and some advice on cartridge.
I live in Guelph.
Thanks in advance
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 am 

Gary is simply the best when it comes to Linn Sondeks ... http://bettermusic.ca/

Don't bother with any of the self-appointed amateur 'independent experts'.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:48 am 

I also recommend Gary at Better Music. I've been dealing with him for over 25 years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:10 am 
Premium User

+2 for Gary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 am 

Remove the platter, put some cardboard between the sub-platter and top plate (to keep the bearing from banging up and down), set the turntable on the back seat, and take a drive to St. Catherines. Gary is a real nice guy, and you will be happy you met him ... and very happy when you get your LP-12 back from him.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:52 am 

Dan Santoni in Hamilton needs mentioning as well, he has been servicing Turntables for decades and is also a long-term 'Linnie'.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:39 am 

I had Gary do one table for me, then I brought him my other Thorens tables and have recommended him to many others and a couple customer units. I don't think there is anyone better than Gary, period.

Thorens 125 MKII - rebuilt completely, even the top plate which had warped. It's now better than it ever was.
Thorens 126 MKII - rebuilt suspension, adjusted arm bearings and set up my cartridge (new Ortofon 540). Another win
Thorens 145 MKII - Rebuilt suspension, adjusted arm bearings. This is now a great little table.
Thorens 145 orig. - adjusted suspension, adjusted arm bearings. Another great little table.

I rebuilt the electronics and adjusted these tables where needed, Gary is a whiz with these and seems as at home with a Thorens as he is with a Linn. We used Gary's Linn table the first time out and it is a wonderful, smooth machine. All I need are belts now, and Gary has them on order from Thorens (real belts folks).

I don't think there are many technicians out there like Gary, and I have trained many! He is getting all my referrals and any other turntable that comes my way. So no offence to any other TT techs, but Gary is THE GUY. He's in St. Catharines, about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. I am going to make that drive every time I need turntable work done. He is that good, not to mention honest and one hell of a nice guy!

Best, Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 am 

Thanks to all who have replied. I will take my table to Gary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
Gary is simply the best when it comes to Linn Sondeks ... http://bettermusic.ca/

Don't bother with any of the self-appointed amateur 'independent experts'.

Yes I agree Gary would be the best person to have service your Linn turntable. He has been selling and upgrading Linn products for many decades. He is extremely knowledgeable on Linn product.

-- 05 Aug 2017 21:36 --

anatech wrote:
I had Gary do one table for me, then I brought him my other Thorens tables and have recommended him to many others and a couple customer units. I don't think there is anyone better than Gary, period.

Thorens 125 MKII - rebuilt completely, even the top plate which had warped. It's now better than it ever was.
Thorens 126 MKII - rebuilt suspension, adjusted arm bearings and set up my cartridge (new Ortofon 540). Another win
Thorens 145 MKII - Rebuilt suspension, adjusted arm bearings. This is now a great little table.
Thorens 145 orig. - adjusted suspension, adjusted arm bearings. Another great little table.

I rebuilt the electronics and adjusted these tables where needed, Gary is a whiz with these and seems as at home with a Thorens as he is with a Linn. We used Gary's Linn table the first time out and it is a wonderful, smooth machine. All I need are belts now, and Gary has them on order from Thorens (real belts folks).

I don't think there are many technicians out there like Gary, and I have trained many! He is getting all my referrals and any other turntable that comes my way. So no offence to any other TT techs, but Gary is THE GUY. He's in St. Catharines, about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. I am going to make that drive every time I need turntable work done. He is that good, not to mention honest and one hell of a nice guy!

Best, Chris

Gary also did some work on my Sota Turntable. I would only take my TT to him. He is a wiz at this stuff.