Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pye PF91
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:25 am 

First post and looking for some direction. I just came across a Pye PF91. My research points to a 1954 era unit. It came with the PF91A unit as well as a Gerrard phono player. I'm looking for help on the amp. As this is my first venture into vintage, I'd like to know more about the unit. It seems it has a lot of praise heaped on it. What's special about it? Will I need another to match? What are they worth? Need a solid tech to look at it. Are there shops (I'm in Toronto, Canada) that others might be able to steer me towards? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Pye PF91
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am 

PF91 is worth about $2500 if mint PF91A probably about $500 (theres a pair on Italian ebay iirc for $7500 obo)

I had the same pair but gave up finding a mate after some years and sold them off, think I got $1750 for the set about 10 years ago (mine were minty)

-- 15 Jul 2017 13:46 --

here's my mono set; http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... pf91a_pre/

by the way, yes you need 2 for stereo

my advice, leave it alone if original and sell it as is and use the funds to buy something you can use

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm 

Bolly,

Thanks for the info. I'm from North Bay as well and think it's funny we both have had contact with this rare piece.
I've tracked down a valve guy here who will check it out. I appreciate the price points as well. What would you venture would be an as-is estimate (just leaving it untested for an ebay listing) if the match turns out to be to expensive for me?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 am 

Just curious who's the guy you found??

It's not that the match could be too expensive for you, guarantee it will be!! But it's unlikely you'll ever get the chance to even find another let alone be able to purchase it.

I'd venture to guess even untested it would still sell for a similar price or even more!!

if you're still in north bay I can test the tubes and we could try firing it up on a junk speaker of mine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:40 pm 

Bolly,

I've been busy but finally had a chance to fire up the amp after getting a good check-up from the tech (Tom McCartney - T.M. Electronics tmccartney@sympatico.ca ). The tech replaced 2 capacitors that had cracked and installed a grounded plug. It was nice to see that warm glow. The PF91a doesn't seem to be working but that's the way it goes. The tubes by the transformers are Tung-Sol 5881(x2) and a GE 5u4. No KT66, darn it! I'm hoping that the offer to bring the unit north to test on an old speaker might still be available. I'm thinking a weekend in the middle of October. Let me know if this is feasible? Personal message me.

Thanks,

P.S. Any further details on the other Pye you mentioned?