Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Kef Concerto Versions
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:17 am 
Premium User

Hi,

I picked up a set of Kef Concerto speakers for a friend last week, but the cabinets are different than other versions I've seen before. These cabinets are clearly a factory produced product, but they don't have a Kef badge on them. A friend of mine suggested they might have been made in Canada and populated with Kef drivers from a kit. Does anyone have any idea what the history of these speakers could be?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 am 

says kef kit 3 here

http://eng.localmartuk.com/southport/it ... n/76834669

and here; http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... _concerto/

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 am 

http://www.kef.com/html/nl/explore/abou ... index.html

If you like them, yo might be interested in some upgrade. This 3 ways model from the 60s/70s is a very nice speaker.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/kef-co ... twork.html

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 am 
Premium User

moinau wrote:
http://www.kef.com/html/nl/explore/about_kef/museum/1960s/KEFKIT3/index.html

If you like them, yo might be interested in some upgrade. This 3 ways model from the 60s/70s is a very nice speaker.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/kef-co ... twork.html

Thanks, I didn't know about those. My friend isn't really an audiophile, but I have already ordered all new caps as I know the originals are past their prime.

-- 03 May 2017 10:17 --

bolly wrote:

Thanks Bolly. I assumed a kit would be drivers for someone doing a DIY cabinet, but maybe these cabinets were provided as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 pm 

When B. J. Smyth was the Canadian agent for Wharfedale, and later KEF, he had agreements whereby he imported the drivers and crossovers from England and had cabinets built here in Canada by an expert cabinet maker. His own workers then assembled, boxed and shipped the finished product to Canadian dealers. As overseas shipping was then either very slow (read marine) or very expensive (read by air), final build in Canada provided reliable availability and superior product. It is my understanding that this method was used in one or two other countries, but G. A. Briggs of Warfedale acknowledged that their best product was that available in Canada. With KEF, there finally came a time when the final tweaks and testing could only be done in England.

Over time, KEF first made available raw single driver units , then complete kits that included drivers and crossovers with cabinet leaflets, then baffles with all pieces mounted and wired. While there must be countless different versions out there, your speakers would appear to be a later kit model with baffle provided. I don't ever recall a factory complete model having front access to the crossover by removing the grill assembly. My guess is that the builder likely retro-fitted new kits into an older pair of enclosures. To my knowledge, KEF never used foam inside their enclosures. Also, the wiring is sloppy and not to KEF standards. I do believe baffled kits were pretty much later and somewhat simplified and improved copies of older models, and so of similar size. There should be lots of information floating around and you might contact KEF for suggestions as to best modernize your particular pair. Sounds like lots of interesting fun in your future. Let us know how much improvement you were finally able to achieve. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm 
Premium User

TwentyKHzPlus wrote:
My guess is that the builder likely retro-fitted new kits into an older pair of enclosures. To my knowledge, KEF never used foam inside their enclosures.

Thanks. Since there was another example sold on CAM with exactly the same cabinet (see one of the links above) I don't think these are re-purposed or custom one off cabinets. The foam is only on the inside of the mid-range chamber, which is precisely made from a thick round cardboard tube. The rest of the speaker has white acoustic insulation inside:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:23 pm 
Premium User

KEF Kits came with everything but the cabinets, but cabinet kits were also available from the same sources. Addisons in Montreal used to sell tons of them in knock-down form or pre-built in a few different pre-veneered finishes including unfinished, walnut and teak. I bought and built several of those kits and cabinet kits (mostly teak and unfinished) for friends back in the day.

Attachment:
KEFKIT3Leafletp3.jpg
KEFKIT3Leafletp3.jpg [ 58.88 KiB | Viewed 1325 times ]

Attachment:
KEFKITLeafletp4.jpg
KEFKITLeafletp4.jpg [ 69.18 KiB | Viewed 1325 times ]

Attachment:
KEFKITLeafletp2.jpg
KEFKITLeafletp2.jpg [ 67.29 KiB | Viewed 1325 times ]

I believe that the cabinet kits were locally sourced.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:26 pm 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:
KEF Kits came with everything but the cabinets, but cabinet kits were also available from the same sources. Addisons in Montreal used to sell tons of them in knock-down form or pre-built in a few different pre-veneered finishes including unfinished, walnut and teak. I bought and built several of those kits and cabinet kits (mostly teak and unfinished) for friends back in the day.
I believe that the cabinet kits were locally sourced.

Thanks Marc, as always you are a wealth of information!