Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with a 2230 repair
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:23 pm 

Hi all,
I have a Marantz 2230 on the bench right now with an odd fault, and to solve this, I'm going to need another 2230 or 2245 (same tuner boards exactly) to take measurements from. That is something the manual doesn't give, is signal levels and what they look like. The fault is no stereo on FM. Because the circuit is all discrete, it is far more complicated to troubleshoot. At least with a chip, I know what signals are expected.

This problem has already stumped one technician at some point in time. I can see where each test point has already been desoldered by someone else. I'm following in his footsteps.

If anyone has one of these sets that could use some work, I'll do a complete FM alignment at no charge if they bring it in. An FM alignment takes approx. 1 ~ 2 hours of time to complete properly, so there is value in my offer. I do use proper instruments for this work which you would be welcome to see first.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated by both myself and the owner of the set. He knows I am asking for another unit to compare with. If you can, please help. If you don't want anything done, that's fine too. All I need are comparison measurements.

-Best, Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:40 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Hello Chris, I think it was a 2245 I just had right here. I gave it back as I had no time to work on it.

It needed a clean up and a recap, other than that..working, apparently.

If you have no luck I may be able to retrieve it. Maybe. But I've no time to work on it, so that might be a problem.

We'll see. We'll keep it as a last resort. My recollection is that it was a 2245. You get so many of them coming and going... they blur together.

I get all this stuff now as I'm 'the last tech standing' for the Kingston area. And I ~just~ (very recently) had to give it up as the cable company is now finally starting to move along.

I probably left as much as 30+ pieces untouched, and as many more trying to arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm 

Hi Ken,
Right now I would jump at any chance to get this repaired for the customer. I'm really glad you're out there, so many hacks around these days. If I can do anything for you, let me know.

If some of those sets need looking at, I can. I'm just starting up again, I sent some time sidelined due to illness. I was trained at Marantz in the early days (Superscope days).

Too bad you're so far away. I do have someone I can send out there though. If you can get that unit back, I would deeply appreciate the effort!

Best, Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 pm 

I may be able to help you if you still require it. I currently have 2 2230's on the bench. One I'm recapping and another in the Queue.

GT.

-- 31 Mar 2017 00:33 --

OH btw I'm pretty close to you. I work in Milton.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:58 pm 

Hey Chris,
I have a 2245 compare against.
I'm in Guelph but I could meet you half way.
Cheers,
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 pm 

Hi gthomas,
That would be amazing! Now, how to connect?

I was offering to do a free FM alignment for the ability to compare to. Would you want to offer that to your customer to keep everything above board? I should only need the set for 1/2 a day in order to do this. Otherwise, I only want to take measurements and do not have to disconnect or adjust anything. I would have them both on the bench to go back and forth to compare with. If I could use the set for an entire day, that would allow me to check more things.

Thank you very much for replying, I appreciate it.

Best, Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm 

Hi Steve,
Depending on what gthomas says, I might need to look at yours. The biggest problem I have is the lack of a car. However, to make this worthwhile to you, I'll extend the offer to you as well if you are interested. A free, complete FM alignment.

This alignment would be done using the proper equipment. I'm using FM generators and a spectrum analyser and a very good THD analyser. You're welcome to check the bench out before you agree to anything. In fact, I'll extend this offer to you even if I see the other 2230. You both replied quickly and if you would benefit, why not?

I look at it this way. In the event I get to examine two receivers, I get the numbers from two examples and I have to do two FM alignments. Considering the amount of time I was stuck on this particular repair, the extra FM alignments won't hurt me too much. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll walk out with much lower distortion on the FM function. We can even quickly check and set the bias current and voltage on the output amplifiers. That should give you confidence with your receiver being set up properly.

I'm okay to do this almost any time except Sunday. Next week I'm busy for a couple days, but I will try to make the time easier for you. I live pretty close to Trafalgar Rd and Highway #7 (Guelph St. here). You can watch if you'd like.

If I had wheels, I would have been happy to meet you 1/2 way. You aren't very far away really.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 pm 

anatech wrote:
Hi gthomas,
That would be amazing! Now, how to connect?

I was offering to do a free FM alignment for the ability to compare to. Would you want to offer that to your customer to keep everything above board? I should only need the set for 1/2 a day in order to do this. Otherwise, I only want to take measurements and do not have to disconnect or adjust anything. I would have them both on the bench to go back and forth to compare with. If I could use the set for an entire day, that would allow me to check more things.

Thank you very much for replying, I appreciate it.

Best, Chris

HI Chris.

Both these units are my own. I'm working the afternoon shift next week and can drop one off to you any day except Monday. It would have to be around noon and I can go to work from there.

PM me and we can set something up no prob.

GT