Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm 

James_W wrote:
That takes me back to being a poor student.

LOL, I doubt this was in your budget if you were a poor student, they were over a grand in 1989.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:30 pm 
Premium User

canuckken wrote:
James_W wrote:

LOL, I doubt this was in your budget if you were a poor student, they were over a grand in 1989.

Sure it was thanks to OSAP. Lots of Mr Noodles consumed those years. I had it paired up with Sound Dynamics speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm 

James_W wrote:
canuckken wrote:
James_W wrote:

Sure it was thanks to OSAP. Lots of Mr Noodles consumed those years. I had it paired up with Sound Dynamics speakers.

Well at least you had your priorities right and spent your money on decent audio gear. For myself when I was in college it was Kraft dinner with frozen peas mixed in. I also had some decent gear back in those days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:41 pm 

canuckken wrote:
I picked up this gear yesterday. I think older Hitachi gear often get overlooked which only makes it easier for me to grab them when they become available.

Overlooked indeed. Some of that vintage Hitachi gear sounds mighty sweet, especially their amplifiers. Got a HA-330 integrated that sings.
8)

Attachments:
HITACHI HA-330.jpg
HITACHI HA-330.jpg [ 517.72 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 am 

Old Rusty wrote:
canuckken wrote:
I picked up this gear yesterday. I think older Hitachi gear often get overlooked which only makes it easier for me to grab them when they become available.

Overlooked indeed. Some of that vintage Hitachi gear sounds mighty sweet, especially their amplifiers. Got a HA-330 integrated that sings.
8)

You got to love those silver face amps with the big knobs. I don't know why they don't make gear that looks like that anymore, it's all plastic with little push buttons these days, I hate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 am 

markmiata wrote:
Right now I have a YBA 2A 70wpc...I wonder how a Sansui would compare

Have not heard some of this vintage gear for quite some time (or at all for that matter), but with your current YBA amp you are in a pretty decent snack bracket - no?? What do you think you will gain over your YBA? What preamp are you pairing with it??
I would be keeping the YBA instead of a 70's 80's receiver - just saying - but am still really enjoying my Integre now that it is back in tune so might be biased.
Cheers
jp

Last edited by J. P. on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

James_W wrote:

canuckken wrote:
James_W wrote:
canuckken wrote:

Well at least you had your priorities right and spent your money on decent audio gear. For myself when I was in college it was Kraft dinner with frozen peas mixed in. I also had some decent gear back in those days.

I spent it all on audio....and had to take on a full time job while going to school. You know you've got it bad, when...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 am 
Premium User

Teo Audio wrote:
I spent it all on audio....and had to take on a full time job while going to school. You know you've got it bad, when...

What was the name of the audio store on Princess St? My student loan couldn't stretch far enough to get my gear there. I had to buy everything fro Leon's and The Brick back when Dave Clarke was a salesman there (Disregard if you were not in Kingston at the time.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am 

Buy what you think is a good deal and then give us a report . If you don t like it...sell it and buy something else. So on and so on. Do your own research on what YOU think is a good deal. The rest is just an opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:22 pm 

For those who commented about my Hitachi amp that does not get hot needing airflow, I do have that pioneer receiver that runs very hot. I was wondering how to solve that problem (if it is a problem) and here is my redneck solution. I have it plugged into a switched plug so it comes on with the receiver. Seems to work ok, just does not look ok.

Attachments:
DSC07719.JPG
DSC07719.JPG [ 266.71 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm 

James_W wrote:
canuckken wrote:
James_W wrote:

OSAP: Ontario Stereo Assistance Program.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:18 pm 

canuckken wrote:
For those who commented about my Hitachi amp that does not get hot needing airflow, I do have that pioneer receiver that runs very hot. I was wondering how to solve that problem (if it is a problem) and here is my redneck solution. I have it plugged into a switched plug so it comes on with the receiver. Seems to work ok, just does not look ok.

With only 30 watts per channel at 8 ohms on tap, using efficient speakers would be best, if not, this could be one of the reasons your amp running very hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm 

moinau wrote:
canuckken wrote:

With only 30 watts per channel at 8 ohms on tap, using efficient speakers would be best, if not, this could be one of the reasons your amp running very hot.

Wrong, this is the Pioneer VSX-9500s. 125wpc into 8 ohms and these receivers are known to run hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:23 pm 

canuckken wrote:
moinau wrote:
canuckken wrote:

Wrong, this is the Pioneer VSX-9500s. 125wpc into 8 ohms and these receivers are known to run hot.

Before saying "WRONG" you should really read on what you have.

125watts is the "Total Watts" rated at 8ohms that this receiver is able to output. This Receiver (AV Receiver) is not even rated at 4 or 6ohms.

When connecting a pair of speakers, front, back sideway, or what have you, you only have 30watts "At 8 ohms" on tap, and that is all. You don't get 125watts when you connect one pair of speakers, only 30watts.

You asked a question, you got an answer, maybe not the one you like, but that is the best I can do.

All the best to you...

NB:

" was wondering how to solve that problem (if it is a problem) "

Why ask the question if you already know for sure that those amps are known to running on the hot side????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm 

Oh, OK. I guess I had it wrong then. I was going by this but being an idiot like I am misread the info, however, I was not asking a question, I was showing my simple fix of the heat issue.

One other thing is I only use this as a 2 channel receiver with efficient speakers but I guess that probably does not matter either because the front channels are not really rated at 125wpc as the chart shows but rather only 30wpc.

Pioneer should be ashamed of themselves for saying the front channels are rated at 125wpc when really they are only rated at 30wpc which is what the rear and center channels are rated at also.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2017-06-17 14.00.19.png
Screenshot 2017-06-17 14.00.19.png [ 311.17 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next