Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 am 

There is a philips 785 on right now for $100. Google it. a real sleeper. What speakers will you be driving, ? ohms/efficiency?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 am 

Hi Ken,
Quote:
I can't remember if I mentioned it, but the Marantz that Greg (of ash forest audio in Kingston) had in his possession as a refurb and repair job...turned out to be the wrong one.

I find that both sad and annoying as heck. I hate hackers worse than those that got directly burned by them. Good service people get burned trying to help the customer.

What do you mean by "turned out to be the wrong one"?

Grey market really hurt everyone in the industry. Distributors should have banded together to eject dealers who did this from the collective group.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

You were looking for a working 2230 or 2245, IIRC, so you can get a look at a working tuner board. The unit that Greg has, that I was aware of, turned out to not be of that series.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:00 am 

Hi Ken,
Ah, I see. Thank you.

It looks like the one I'm working on has a bad front end tuner problem. It's been wet in those areas. I was able to examine a 2230, so he got a free alignment.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:43 am 

I picked up this gear yesterday. I think older Hitachi gear often get overlooked which only makes it easier for me to grab them when they become available.

Attachments:
P1000627.jpg
P1000627.jpg [ 315.11 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
DSC07637.JPG
DSC07637.JPG [ 260.62 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:28 am 

Hi canuckken,
Looks nice. The tuner should be under the amplifier. Your amplifier needs unimpeded air flow or it may overheat.

So, how does it sound?

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:11 pm 

anatech wrote:
Hi canuckken,
Looks nice. The tuner should be under the amplifier. Your amplifier needs unimpeded air flow or it may overheat.

So, how does it sound?

-Chris

The tuner does not fit underneath, I tried it. There are lots of vents still exposed and the amp can breathe fine.

It sounds great to my ears and that is all that counts I guess. I am especially impressed with the Hitachi speakers, it's a bonus that they are very efficient. I have replaced my Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers which are very decent speakers, for the Hitachi's. I have them on stands beside my office desk and I am able to drive them fine with a cheap SMSL AD18 desktop amp.
The Hitachi HA-3 should have some servicing and if I can find someone reliable to recap it I will probably have it done. It would be well worth putting some money into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:05 pm 

Hi canuckken,
"recapping" isn't what your equipment needs. God, I hate that term!

Find a real technician and that person can tell you what your set needs. He will undoubtedly change some capacitors, but that is really only a small part of what is done. If you're very lucky, you will run into someone who really does know how to make your equipment sound better than it did from the factory. The rest of the folks who offer "recapping" really haven't a clue what they are doing, and by using them you are bound to get the wrong parts (just for starters), and miss the opportunity to extend the service life of your new amplifier.

The tuner needs work too. An alignment for starters.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:56 pm 

I used the term recapped loosely. I am a bit long in the tooth to be naive and have had my share of vintage gear over the years so I understand the process. Other work may need to be done besides some caps replaced. I would not spend a penny on the tuner though, at least not now. I seldom use it and when I do it works perfectly fine.

Good techs are hard to come by these days but I know they are out there. I was using a guy from Calgary that I thought was good until I found out he replaced caps in my Luxman with cheap chinese capacitors. When I confronted him about it his reply was that the human ear cannot perceive any difference in capacitors. Either he knows what he is talking about or everything I have read is wrong.

This audiophile hobby can drive a man crazy sometimes. It never ends.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:56 pm 
Premium User

canuckken wrote:
anatech wrote:
Hi canuckken,

So, how does it sound?

-Chris

The tuner does not fit underneath, I tried it. There are lots of vents still exposed and the amp can breathe fine.

It sounds great to my ears and that is all that counts I guess. I am especially impressed with the Hitachi speakers, it's a bonus that they are very efficient. I have replaced my Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers which are very decent speakers, for the Hitachi's. I have them on stands beside my office desk and I am able to drive them fine with a cheap SMSL AD18 desktop amp.
The Hitachi HA-3 should have some servicing and if I can find someone reliable to recap it I will probably have it done. It would be well worth putting some money into it.

By unimpeded airflow, what Anatech and every other competent service tech and design engineer mean, is at LEAST 2 to 6 inches of clearance ABOVE and a couple of inches on each side of any power amplifier. That information is usually in the owners manual which no one bothers reading.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:17 pm 

What you guys are not seeing is that the tuner only covers 2/3 of the top of the amp. There are lots of exposed vents on the top cover and plenty on the sides. The amp does not get hot. I know what unimpeded air flow means, I am not a 20 year old novice here.
If I thought the amp had a heat issue I would move the tuner or put my small fan on the amp. The last thing I want to do is fry a completely good amp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm 

Nice looking speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 pm 

Van_Isle wrote:
Nice looking speakers.

Thanks. They sound nice too. There is another member selling an identical pair on this site for $700 :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:00 pm 

I am on a roll but the wife is going to divorce me when she gets home from overseas. I picked this beauty up today. Lots of clean power with this baby.

Attachments:
DSC07664.JPG
DSC07664.JPG [ 269.95 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm 
Premium User

That takes me back to being a poor student.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next