Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hello,
I'm considering getting a vintage power amp
I would like to get something that would represent the sweet sound of the 70's
I would love to get a Sansui but it seems like the prices just keep on climbing :(
What would be a good choice for a amp that can be found for a fair price and would be something to be proud to own and even but some repairs into it if necessary
I would consider a straight amp or a receiver..All I really need is the amp

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm 

this is nice!!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm 

In my mind, the heyday was from the mid 70's to the early 80's.

From the 70's:
Kenwood L-07M monoblocks: http://www.thevintageknob.org/kenwood-L-07M.html
Luxman R-1120A:http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-R-1120A.html
Sony TA-N7B: http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-N7B.html
Yamaha B-2: http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-B-2.html

From the early 80's:
Krell KSA-50: http://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/krell-ksa-50-amplifier/
Luxman M-05 monoblocks: http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-M-05.html
Yamaha MX-10000: http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-MX-10000.html

Now finding any one of these amps in decent shape will be costly. And some of their parts were made of unobtanium, so non-working pieces are probably beyond repair.

Kenwood L-07m's come up from time to time (I'm currently rebuilding a pair). Luxman M-05's show up too. But the Sony TA-N7B and the Yamaha's are pretty rare beasts - especially the MX-10000. Only 250 of these were ever produced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 pm 

NordicNorm

I'm kind of surprised I didn't see Sansui or Pioneer on your list
Do you repair and sell your gear or just do repairs??

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

markmiata wrote:
Hello,
I'm considering getting a vintage power amp
I would like to get something that would represent the sweet sound of the 70's
I would love to get a Sansui but it seems like the prices just keep on climbing :(
What would be a good choice for a amp that can be found for a fair price and would be something to be proud to own and even but some repairs into it if necessary
I would consider a straight amp or a receiver..All I really need is the amp

Thanks

Most of my equipment are from the 70s, and early 80s, with a few from the 60s.

Since you mentioned a power amp, I would suggest staying with the power amp, and not going to the receiver route.
Hopefully I understood what you meant by amp, because you will need a preamp to go with it, usually.
So you might also consider an integrated... no tuner...

Amps, and integrated from the 70s that will satisfied what you are looking for are:
Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, and Kenwood. You could also look at McIntosh, but be prepared to pay 70% for the name only. They are no better than the Japanese vintage gears, it's just that their name carries a stiff premium, although they are very nice to look at. Restoring one of these monster, will cost you dearly, also because of their name.

Also, make sure that your choice will be compatible with, at the very least, 4ohm impedance speakers. Some excellent Sansui integrated are only recommended with speakers of 8ohms and above, case in point, the excellent AU-719, and AU-717 integrated, although the AU-919 will accept 4ohms rated speakers.

Also, do you yourself a favour, never buy one that has been re-caps, one that is advertised as being fully restored, this will amount the same as playing the slot machine. Look for a very clean (cosmetic) model, and in good working condition, then, find yourself a tech that you know could fully restore your treasure. Myself, I run Pioneer, but all of the other brands mentioned one are also excellent.

One more thing, If you decide to go with Sansui, make sure you get it restored as soon as possible. Sansui are renowed to contain a corrosive glue that was used to secure its capacitors, and this has to be cleaned as soon as possible. Second, some of the capacitors, when they go bad, your amp will become a heavy door stop, so get them replaced at the time of restoration.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 pm 
Premium User

I used to collect vintage amps many years ago. IMO the best bang for the buck was the Sansui AU-719. Finding one at a good price might cost you some time watching Craigslist, Kijiji and visiting yard sales.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm 

You should consider mid to late 80's power or integrated amps such as Onkyo Integra, Elite by Pioneer,Sony ES or even Kenwood but stay away from BPC parted-out rack systems. I bought a ONKYO Integra A-817EX (Rated at 105 watt RMS at THD of 0.004%.
Stable upto 2 ohms...power ratings (120 watt at 6 ohms, 150 watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 2 ohms) for a couple of hundred bucks and it has insane build quality and amazing sound for the money and best of all a MM and MC Phono section.

Last edited by jrms on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 pm 

Wasn't there also a Pioneer Spec 1 and 2 or something like that??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm 

Quote:

I think that was the late 70's. but if you could actually find one for a decent price go for it.
Same for Pioneer Exclusive C3 it is highly unlikely you would find any of these on Kijiji for $300.
My point was that you can find some real jem's from the 80's that are overlooked since they are not all silver.

Last edited by jrms on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm 
Premium User

markmiata wrote:

Those were the TOTL Pioneer models which bring in ridonculous bucks; the very contrary of Best Bang for the Buck. Fine units for sure, but you can buy equal or better performance for 20 to 25% of the prices they fetch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

This amp is made in Canada and is generally overlooked. Not pretty, but it sure sounds good. Compared to the typical "vintage" Pioneer receiver, the Sima crushes it. I know because that is what I upgraded from!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... a-pw-3000/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... power-amp/

Get an amp like this one, they generally sell for $100 to $150. I found one a month ago, and it's a keeper. Solid 100 watts per side, MOSFET output devices, two beefy transformers. Yes, sold by Sears, but fear not - your audio buddies will have spent lots more money, and often for lesser amps. Also sold as Sherwood S 6040.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:30 pm 

Quote:
Get an amp like this one, they generally sell for $100 to $150. I found one a month ago, and it's a keeper. Solid 100 watts per side, MOSFET output devices, two beefy transformers. Yes, sold by Sears, but fear not - your audio buddies will have spent lots more money, and often for lesser amps. Also sold as Sherwood S 6040.

There are some good parts in there but remember it was put together at a much lower price point and the build quality shows the lack of good support for the PCB will allow it to flex and cause intermittent part problems at some point .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 pm 

Hello,

Please seriously consider the Harman Kardon Twin Power series. I had a 730, and it is a wonderful receiver. True dual mono power transformers. I ran my 730 with first generation Klipsch Heresy 1 from 1974, and it was GREAT. There is a 730 on CAM now.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... n-powered/

I believe that there is also a 430 and a 930 listed as well. Impossible to go wrong with any.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:58 pm 

While Nikko rarely make these lists, getting the right one is a doable comparison to the Pioneers, etc others list. I use an NR 1219 daily. Not hard to get, often priced well. 2x100w
I personally avoid Sansui after having found the capacitor rotten glue in my mine. lots of work to fix those. Check under the hood before you buy.
I note a lot of Luxmen come up. When I trained on repairing these in the late 70s, we had a lot of units flow through the shop. Lots of repairs on Luxmen back then. Mayb it was representative of more sales n the area vs competition. I would vote also for a Marantz. Well built, reliable. And Yamaha.
No matter what you look at, do a simple health check with your dc volt meter across the speakers with no load, so signal, no volume. Under 20mv is terrific. Under 40mv is ok, heading higher means some investigation to ensure low distortion rate, and protecting your speakers. Mostly this is just alignment. If you see 60-80-100mv, it needs work, and while it might be simple recap, think twice.
I harp on this all the time....Change the relay as soon as you can in the vintage....makes a big difference to what sound you get.
This reminds me about the recent posts on prices of older units. If it is in good condition electrically and physically, paying a bit more for lasting quality will still pay off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next