Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 am 

Hi everyone.

Am considering buying an older McIntosh tuner. Can anyone tell me the difference or improvements that the McIntosh MR-78 has over the MR-77 and MR-73 - other than the esthetic improvements? I've read that these are perhaps the best analog tuners ever made, so....which of these is the best and why? I'm aware there are a couple of models available on CAM right now.

Also, I live in an apartment with no roof access to install an antenna, so what should I use for an indoor antenna? If I could mount one on my balcony, which one may be good for that type of location? And is there any performance downgrade if the antenna were mounted vertically, as opposed to horizontally? The only option I may have of mounting an antenna outside the apartment/on the balcony may be mounting it vertically on the wall. I suspect few antennas are designed for this, but does anyone know of a good one that is (like maybe a whip-type?).

Thanks very much in advance for your wisdom and advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 pm 

BCMBDK wrote:
Hi everyone.

Am considering buying an older McIntosh tuner. Can anyone tell me the difference or improvements that the McIntosh MR-78 has over the MR-77 and MR-73 - other than the esthetic improvements? I've read that these are perhaps the best analog tuners ever made, so....which of these is the best and why? I'm aware there are a couple of models available on CAM right now.

Also, I live in an apartment with no roof access to install an antenna, so what should I use for an indoor antenna? If I could mount one on my balcony, which one may be good for that type of location? And is there any performance downgrade if the antenna were mounted vertically, as opposed to horizontally? The only option I may have of mounting an antenna outside the apartment/on the balcony may be mounting it vertically on the wall. I suspect few antennas are designed for this, but does anyone know of a good one that is (like maybe a whip-type?).

Thanks very much in advance for your wisdom and advice.

They are not the best tuners ever made nor the best sounding ones either for more info on the best ever made and sounding tuners go here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ and the tuners shootout results go here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html Regarding your antennae requirements you could buy one one of those powered rabbit eared ones as they perform quite well on apartment dwellings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:07 pm 

According to Terry DeWick, they rank as follows:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index. ... post-74380

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm 

the list of best tuner is one man s opinion and taste. looking at a few best tuner shootout, most tuner brand that keep coming over and over , magnum dynalab, day sequera, McIntosh, accuphase, sansui.
I own many tuner in my life, ( sony, kenwood, pioneer, sae, jvc,technics, Marantz, McIntosh, onkyo,yamaha, sansui,qed,luxman,nad and a few other) . I live half way between montreal and Ottawa. 100 km from anything worth listening. and found that many tuner did not cut it as far as tuning on a station , without static or plain bad sound.
many of the mention did not pull in station very good. but the ones that sounded best and pull in good.
mx 110 McIntosh
mx 112 McIntosh,> both stellar performer pull in station like crazy, natural sound,pull in station , you did not even know it existed. at less 10 station more than any of others down this list. and anything coming in came in nice and clean.
luxman
sae
Marantz> those 3 also very good , sound great, pull s in station very good but nowhere near what the mac can do.about 40 % of station come in very good but many not good enough to dial in.
pioneer
kenwood
yamaha those 3 > good sound not so good, to pull station in
and the rest not recommended if you live 100 km. or more

this is my experience
so McIntosh were the best for me. without any doubt. you want believe the difference. specialy for puling in station.
you turn that knob and keep hiting station after station , with impressive clarety. you feel every station come in without noise, or fuzz.
I use plain radio shack outside tuner antenna. attached to dish post, on my roof.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm 

agree the MX110 is essentially MR 67, both tube units...but from what OP is looking at...maybe the MR 78 is the best now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:28 pm 

I've owned all 3 that you mention but still have the MR78. The MR77 & MR78 sound very similar although I feel the MR78 is a ever so slightly better to my ears. But there is no question that the MR78 dials in the best reception. Also, worth mentioning that having the Tuners you select serviced and aligned is well worth the $200 you may need to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am 

Very interesting thread...

Top three FM tuners in no specific order, as follows:

1/ McIntosh MR-78
2/ Fanfare FT-1
3/ DayDequerra FM Reference

Over the years, I continue to run the MR-78 and I am extremely pleased with the results. 8)

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

Last edited by Benetton on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 pm 

Benetton wrote:

1/ McIntosh MR-78
2/ Fanfare FT-1

Happy Listening,

Perhaps, but according to the Tunerinfo http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html that's not the case.

Here's the top 10 tuners

THE SHOOTOUT IS OVER!!

1 PLUS: -C- Accuphase T-109V - Very natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound, smooth extended highs.
1 (TIE): -C- Kenwood L-02T - Most natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound.
1 (TIE): -C- Burmester 978 - Natural, open and airy sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound with nice extended highs.
4: -C- Sansui TU-919 - The prince who could be king.
5: -C- Sansui TU-X1 - Very good sound top to bottom. Big soundstage, three-dimensional. Very slight diffuse sound.
6: -C- Audiolab 8000T - Good bass, natural but diffuse sound, sweet extended highs.
7: -C- Philips AH6731 - A very natural, neutral sound. Stereo separation best with a good signal.
8: -C- Revox B760 - Great bass, lifelike midrange and extended highs.
9: -M- Mitsubishi DA-F20 - Quick, punchy bass, open, lively midrange and extended highs.
10: -M- Kenwood KT-5020 - Great bass and midrange and extended, sweet treble. Again, why pay more?

and the rest...

56: -M- Sequerra Model 1 - Harmonically rich bass and lower midrange. Very seductive, but if you want accuracy, shop elsewhere.
77: McIntosh MR 78 - Good bass, slightly electronic sound.
78: Fanfare FT-1A - Best through the low-output jacks, clean but bright midrange, lacks bass power.

Come to think of it I have to reconnect my Philips AH 6731 and Nikko Gamma V tuners back into my main stereo system.

Last edited by tube54 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 pm 

Things to consider, I have a MR74 that has been in the shop for over a year as the offending part is unobtanium hence my purchase of the latest magnum dynalab. FWIW T.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm 

I currently have a McIntosh MX113 (which is basically an MR74 tuner) installed at our home in Haliburton. The selection of radio stations is pretty slim of course, but the Mx113 pulls and hold stations extremely well. I also have the MR78 and it is an amazing tuner. Hard to discern the difference between the two, both are outstanding in my opinion. Besides... how much FM do you really want to listen to in these digital days anyway?

I have several big Marantz and Pioneer receivers and the tuner sections are good, but certainly not up to the McIntosh. have to admit, I have often considered selling my MR78 thinking FM radio might just go away one days (who knows when only digital signals will be available). But, it looks so good on the shelf with the pre and amp - how could I break up a perfect set?!! One thing for sure. I am a believer in McIntosh equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:32 pm 

tube54 wrote:
Benetton wrote:

1/ McIntosh MR-78
2/ Fanfare FT-1

Happy Listening,

Perhaps, but according to the Tunerinfo http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html that's not the case.

Here's the top 10 tuners

THE SHOOTOUT IS OVER!!

1 PLUS: -C- Accuphase T-109V - Very natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound, smooth extended highs.
1 (TIE): -C- Kenwood L-02T - Most natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound.
1 (TIE): -C- Burmester 978 - Natural, open and airy sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound with nice extended highs.
4: -C- Sansui TU-919 - The prince who could be king.
5: -C- Sansui TU-X1 - Very good sound top to bottom. Big soundstage, three-dimensional. Very slight diffuse sound.
6: -C- Audiolab 8000T - Good bass, natural but diffuse sound, sweet extended highs.
7: -C- Philips AH6731 - A very natural, neutral sound. Stereo separation best with a good signal.
8: -C- Revox B760 - Great bass, lifelike midrange and extended highs.
9: -M- Mitsubishi DA-F20 - Quick, punchy bass, open, lively midrange and extended highs.
10: -M- Kenwood KT-5020 - Great bass and midrange and extended, sweet treble. Again, why pay more?

and the rest...

56: -M- Sequerra Model 1 - Harmonically rich bass and lower midrange. Very seductive, but if you want accuracy, shop elsewhere.
77: McIntosh MR 78 - Good bass, slightly electronic sound.
78: Fanfare FT-1A - Best through the low-output jacks, clean but bright midrange, lacks bass power.

Come to think of it I have to reconnect my Philips AH 6731 and Nikko Gamma V tuners back into my main stereo system.

Yikes....well I guess we've been misled all these years.... :shock:

Having owned the Audiolab 8000T in a previous life, I can state that this is a darling of a tuner. As well as some of the Japanese designs - Sansui to be specific...

There are some fine models on this list but as a member pointed out previously and in this case, I guess it boils down to personal preference as well as associated components... :wink:

BTW...When did the MR-78 ever sound electronic??? :?

Happy Listening,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:26 pm 

BTW...When did the MR-78 ever sound electronic??? :?

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D[/quote]

It's a simple way of saying that it's not as natural sounding as the others.

It may be a one man's opinion, however, his findings were based on the results from his critical listening and testing comparisons between each of the top of the line tuners. As I see you already agree with his findings on the Audiolab tuner, which he regarded it as one of his top 10 pick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm 

but when reading introduction, he stated that he does n t know if all of the tuner he used in the test, where in top working condition, or if any of them needed an alignment???
if I where to make a fair comparaison. wouldnt you want to make sure you have unit , that are all in perfect working condition.
and to compare how they sound, it is his opinion.
me I heard many kenwood gears , and NEVER like the sound of any of them . so most likely would not like the sound of there tuner even if it pull in station very well .it would probably sound mechanical to me, like he said for McIntosh tuner.(UNBELiEVABLE mechanical a McIntosh tuner ???) doesn't mean the kenwood is not good, it is my opinion. and I am sure there is many kenwood fan that would disagree , with me. and they have all the rights to disagree with me.
as far as I am concern, McIntosh have great tuner. and they don t sound mechanical??? they have many fan out there that would tell you the same. not everyone like there amp. but there tuner are up there with the best.they are the best tuner I ever own. and I cannot believe it would rank so low in this showdown. even after a Philips tuner???? PLEEEEASE.
most likely the tester don t like McIntosh gears . he certainly don t like American gears.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm 

zon001 wrote:
but when reading introduction, he stated that he does n t know if all of the tuner he used in the test, where in top working condition, or if any of them needed an alignment???
if I where to make a fair comparaison. wouldnt you want to make sure you have unit , that are all in perfect working condition.
and to compare how they sound, it is his opinion.
me I heard many kenwood gears , and NEVER like the sound of any of them . so most likely would not like the sound of there tuner even if it pull in station very well .it would probably sound mechanical to me, like he said for McIntosh tuner.(UNBELiEVABLE mechanical a McIntosh tuner ???) doesn't mean the kenwood is not good, it is my opinion. and I am sure there is many kenwood fan that would disagree , with me. and they have all the rights to disagree with me.
as far as I am concern, McIntosh have great tuner. and they don t sound mechanical??? they have many fan out there that would tell you the same. not everyone like there amp. but there tuner are up there with the best.they are the best tuner I ever own. and I cannot believe it would rank so low in this showdown. even after a Philips tuner???? PLEEEEASE.
most likely the tester don t like McIntosh gears . he certainly don t like American gears.

Perhaps, But obviously he doesn't care for the sound of the Marantz 2130 tuner either that had many followers as it's at the bottom of the list. I have the Philips AH 6731 and I compared it to the Fanfare, Magnum Dynalab FT 101, Mitshubishi DA-F10, Nikko Gamma V, Sony, AKAI, Sherwood tuners just to name a few. Given an excellent FM signal of which I have, I found that the Philips tuner is more natural sounding and better in resolving the inner details, which is devoid of any birdies interference than the others that I compared to. Heck! it can even pull an FM signal clearly that is 300 km. away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:54 pm 

I add a nikko gamma 5 and for sound quality, it as NOTHING to do with best off any list.