Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:31 pm 

Hi, I am looking for someone in my region to service my Sony TC645 reel to reel. I have owned it since 1978. Also a Pioneer amp SA7500. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:36 am 

and to add to this i need my Marantz 3250 pre looked at again-this will be the 3rd time inside of a year-and looking for anyone that can service and do it right in the east GTA.i'm tired of going to the west end of TO for supposedly good service,only to have the same problem creep up after about 20-30 hours of listening time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:17 pm 

RTR's are tricky to get serviced IIRC. Whoever you choose, don't cheap out... It's a can of worms.

While the problem isn't that you can't find plenty of people willing to fix something for money, its that very few of them are qualified enough to provide adequate service. Compound this to the fact that these repairs aren't cheap, its safe to say most repairs are bandaid solutions rather than proper servicing of components.

Example being an amplifier that sounds anemic - I can replace three caps and get it working for cheap. But why did these caps fail? Were they old and ruptured? If so, it would be worth considering a total recap. If something caused the caps to blow, I would want to know what was doing it, to avoid the problem repeating itself. These are things a good tech will consider and suggest to you, because nobody likes having to do a job twice.

The few names you hear that do good work have reputations for a reason. You will see some people even mention their having serviced their equipment, because their work is that well regarded. Their service won't be cheap, but they will be the best shot at getting something done once and done right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:43 pm 

Whats the problem with the marantz preamp that keeps coming back, what was done before?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:39 pm 

first off i apologize to the OP for possibly derailing this thread.
the history of my Marantz 3250 pre...i bought brand new back in 1978 with a 140 amp and am the only owner.a number of years later the right channel would disappear and only come back if i basically put the volume wide open and couldn't nail down whether it was the pre or the amp doing this.in the mid 80's my father who was a audio/video tech found and fixed the problem and it was in the pre.over the next 30 or so years i have moved locations a number of times and also have stored the units i the original boxes in my parents basement-climate controled-also for a number of years.last fall after getting my place sorted out and setting up all my gear,again the right channel was back to doing the same thing and again i couldn't isolate which unit was the issue.after looking for techs that work on vintage and finding them basically from Mississauga,west,i did take both units to one tech who said he fixed the issue.hook them up and it took all of 10 hours of listening and the left channel decided to pack it in.and what bothered me was when i asked what he had done the answer was "well they haven't been serviced in 40 years".i should have been sckeptical then.took the pre as i now knew it was the problem to another tech and agin he supposed fixed the issue.at least now the left channel will work on and off.in reality i think they both just sparayed deoxit and put the cover back on as this time i took the cover off and see the repair my father had done but no other "new" repairs.thing i hate is if you are not confident in what you do,just say so and not take people's money and no i will not name names as that is not fair to anyone.for me to go to the west end it's a good 2 hour round trip if the traffic cooperates and i usually have to take time off work to do this.this why i would like to find techs that work on vintage and know what they doing a little closer to my area.
it's not a matter of the cost or how long this takes i just would like this problem fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:29 am 

Holcroft Electronics, Oshawa.
Whitby Audio/Video, I believe use a guy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 am 

DB99 wrote:
Hi, I am looking for someone in my region to service my Sony TC645 reel to reel. I have owned it since 1978. Also a Pioneer amp SA7500. Thanks

Hi DB99

Is the deck working and you are looking to re-cap it or is it not functional? If new mechanical parts are required, you may have problems finding what you need.
I think electronic parts like caps and resistors are common.

The two repair places that do R2R that I'm aware of are:

Tom @ T.M. Electronics in Etobicoke - http://www.reelanalogaudio.com Tom repaired my Akai R2R. A great guy in my opinion.

the other firm that was recommended to me was Teletech in Markham
--
Cele Labayen
Operations Manager
Teletech Pro Audio Inc.
820 Denison Unit 3A
Markham, ON L3R3K5
905-475-5646

I have no direct experience with Teletech.

Good luck with your deck.

cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:21 am 

Thanks for the referrals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:44 pm 

Teletech is likely a good recommendation. I've been there for wire and connectors - be sure to check them out if youre into rolling your own and find yourself at the shop. Great source for those parts locally, and very friendly visit. They have a lot of neat audio stuff there, and no doubt are professionals with lots of experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm 

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm 

DB99 wrote:
Thanks for the referrals.

Ditto Tom McCartney, but don't call before 1pm; he does his work in the wee hours one can infer from the times of his emails.
Just recapped, checks calibration and re-bearing'ed my Revox A77 markIV, all in a week. He's fixing the rewind and FF speed problem on my Akai GX270D now. For Revox, though, he probably does quicker since that's what he knows best.
Jon Archibald
Indian River, Ontario

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 am 

hi you could try G & G electronics on kingston rd scarb