Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:16 pm 

New rings installed on the tweeters...Thank you Marc!!!

Attachments:
Resized_20161013_173050.jpeg
Resized_20161013_173050.jpeg [ 162.14 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
Resized_20161013_172841-1.jpeg
Resized_20161013_172841-1.jpeg [ 148.56 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:44 pm 

I made my own tweeter ring ... with craft foam, x-acto knife and a compass out of an old mathematics set. Couldn't tell it from the original.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:18 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

the more pro industrial electrical motor repair shops are the place to go for foam rings of anything.

Your bring the foam or rubber sheet, and they will cut a gasket for you, from their gasket cutting machine. They run into so many variations of gaskets, that this became the normal solution for their woes. They have that very rare machine that speaker builders would give something to have.

It will be a bit expensive, but when you cannot get the given gaskets anywhere or from anyone, this becomes the completion of what was prior, an impossible task. As in making outer foam rings for woofers tweeters, or woofer/tweeter mounting gaskets, and so on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:04 am 

Van_Isle wrote:
I made my own tweeter ring ... with craft foam, x-acto knife and a compass out of an old mathematics set. Couldn't tell it from the original.

Not impossible at all, as I have described.

Here's a better description of the process:

Van_Isle wrote:
By the way, I came up with a method to create new foam ring diffusers for the tweeters using a sheet of craft foam:

1. get an exacto knife (the one with the small diameter)
2. dig around in that box of the kid's old school supplies in the cupboard until you find a compass that the knife fits into ... see where I'm going?
3. measure inside and outside diameter of the ring
4. put a piece of masking tape on the foam where you want the center point (which stops the hole from enlarging so you don't end up with an oval piece of foam!)
5. put the knife in the compass and set the outside radius
6. slowly and lightly scribe the outside circle ... you'll cut through the foam in 2 or 3 passes.
7. do the same for inside circle.
8. marvel at how you can barely tell the difference between yours and the factory.

From this thread: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39576&p=634281&hilit=energy+22#p634281

By the way, I've had 2 very well-known people in the speaker repair industry, who deal with Energy drivers say to me 'make your own ... they are just craft foam anyway'.

Kudos to Marc by the way for going the extra mile to make up a template and for those that don't want to muck about with things, going through him is an excellent option. I had considered the template idea originally and had teed-up with a machine shop to make one but then had this brainstorm. Worked for the two I had to make.

I would imagine you could just as easily create other rings as needed. You might have to up-the-ante a bit in terms of the compass you use to do larger diameters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm 

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I figured this would get a better response than starting a new one.

I just picked up a decent pair of 22 Pro's off ebay. The tweeters both function. I want to replace the 47uf electrolytic cap that people say drifts off spec, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I have to remove the woofer to access the crossover and in the process, will likely ruin the woofer foam ring.

2 questions about this:
- does the foam ring serve any function besides cosmetics?
- is it possible to remove the foam ring without ruining it and then reusing it?

Other questions:
- If I want to be sure that my tweeters can handle power and volume and if I'm not confident in my ability to refresh the ferrofluid, is this a complicated job for a good shop? Does the tech need to have experience with 22 tweeters? I don't want to blow my functioning tweeters, but would also prefer not to get myself into deep expenditures on preventive work

Attachments:
20170403_085915.jpg
20170403_085915.jpg [ 190.37 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]
20170403_085924.jpg
20170403_085924.jpg [ 129.35 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]
20170403_091809.jpg
20170403_091809.jpg [ 163.45 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:52 pm 
Premium User

hanfrac wrote:
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I figured this would get a better response than starting a new one.

I just picked up a decent pair of 22 Pro's off ebay. The tweeters both function. I want to replace the 47uf electrolytic cap that people say drifts off spec, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I have to remove the woofer to access the crossover and in the process, will likely ruin the woofer foam ring.

2 questions about this:
- does the foam ring serve any function besides cosmetics?
- is it possible to remove the foam ring without ruining it and then reusing it?

Other questions:
- If I want to be sure that my tweeters can handle power and volume and if I'm not confident in my ability to refresh the ferrofluid, is this a complicated job for a good shop? Does the tech need to have experience with 22 tweeters? I don't want to blow my functioning tweeters, but would also prefer not to get myself into deep expenditures on preventive work

The foam rings are there to prevent the sound from diffracting off the sharp edge of the woofers and blurring the sound. This lack of blurring is a large part of why the 22s sound as refined as they do.

As for replacing the ferrofluid, its thickens and gums up over the years and that gumming up seizes the voice coils resulting in them burning out, meaning replacement or very expensive rebuild. It can be done as a DIY job following any of the several on-line video tutorials or, if you are not confident in your skills, most competent speaker shops can do it for you.

Foam rings are available from a few members on here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:09 pm 

I've pulled foam rings off dozens of speakers. Go slowly and they will come off in one piece no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:23 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Van_Isle wrote:
I've pulled foam rings off dozens of speakers. Go slowly and they will come off in one piece no problem.

That is true, but in the case of the energy 22's the foam has very likely deteriorated to the point that it will just break down and go to being a sticky pulp.

It's the placticizers in the mix, the part that keeps it soft. Over time, it gets more and more fluid, if done right. If done right, it does it at the 20+ year mark. If too little placticizer, it goes hard and crumbles.

Making functional plastic is an art, steeped in lore, and a perfectionist attitude, in real world experience.

similar to making good steel. It's the man, the machine, the ingredients and his accumulated lore, all at work and in sync, on the given day. And that becomes the given day's result in steel and quality.

rubber and plastics are no less the same.

The less learned will add too much in the way of placicizers, which cause premature breakdown. It's the safe way to go.

And that is all that cheap Chinese crap that stinks so badly and falls apart in no time at all. They require that German, European, western etc lifetime of lore in plastic or steel making... and they don't have it yet.

They'll get there, but, in the meantime, you can only crap rubber and plastics out of china... until...until it won't be crap anymore. And that's probably a good decade away, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:21 pm 

I haven't experienced deterioration of the outer rings. I've pulled them off the Energy Pro 22s and many other API products ... same material. No issues. You may get a bit of stretch on some, but generally you can glue them back on.

If in doubt, as I've described in previous posts in this thread, I see no specific reason why you couldn't make your own rings using the same methodology and materials as used to make foam tweeter rings.