Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:18 am 

Insulation is covering the x-over and I believe the woofer has the same density of fill behind it. Have you done anything to the speaker other than replace the tweeter, ie remove the insulation from behind the woofer?
Originally,you asked about placement of the "pink",I would start with the back then the sides extending down towards the stand/port. At this point,you should still have space behind the drivers that can be filled with the rest of the batting. Just place it in,don't squish it and hopefully,this will satisfy you.
You certainly don't have a lack of power and you have probably already tried a piece of music that you're familiar with...but just in case you haven't give that a try.

Last, I can't see why this could have happened,but are the woofer speaker connections tight? Just in case you bumped them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:55 pm 

thank you Joe........much regards....M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:46 pm 

Your welcome and Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 pm 

Deuce, I remember when I had my woofers out I could see the the opening of the vent through a small gap in the insulation. insulation is set back over the xover with maybe an inch or two space behind the woofer magnet...in other words mine are loosely filled behind woofer but with a small gap on the bottom side to see the top of the vent. I don't think there should be anything directly covering the top of the vent inside to potentally restrict airflow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:24 pm 

I agree with you on the port area. I Did not find an over abundance of "pink" in that area. I am not using my Ref Conns, during the Christmas holiday, as they do take up more room than I can allow them to. But I installed a new set of speaker binding posts on the rear face of the speaker and I believe I did a very good job on that modification. I was fed up trying to fit cables to the original posts and in a few days, once the tree is gone, I will "fire" them up again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07 pm 

I hear you on your frustrations on the stock connections. I also got fed up and installed some binding posts on the rear of my speakers, I used CMC insulated copper posts on the Dayton audio alminum plate from Solen. Stock posts are virtually useless with thick cables.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

Yeah, that's the ticket, much easier than the originals. BTW, you take better pictures than I do. I went for a more "naked" look.
Have a great holiday.

Attachments:
22's 002.JPG
22's 002.JPG [ 139.99 KiB | Viewed 1916 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:23 pm 

Great job ! very clean looking. I never really though of not using a plate to mount the posts onto since my speakers are black. If I had that beautiful wood finish though I may have thought twice about using the plates. I wish I could find some wood finish cabinets to swap everything over to.

I think I used a little post processing in my pic, it was taken with a iPhone 4...so I cheated a little :)

And happy holidays to you too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:17 pm 

I actually like the location! I've got speaker wire terminated with banana adapters which fit the posts, and I ran the speaker wire up underneath the speakers through the floor via two small drilled holes in hardwood. So you can't see any speaker wires at all! It's super clean. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:51 am 

Your right, there are are a few ways to connect to the original posts and my speakers even have upgraded posts in that little cubbyhole and it was still too limiting for me regarding wire choice. With your current set up,I suppose you aren't going to move your speakers much. If you ever want to try the rear binding post mod, it's not that difficult, removing the woofer is probably the hardest part along with making sure of the measurements for the bore holes. The mod sure makes it easier to connect any cable.
Any Mummers drop by yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:04 am 

joe mandel wrote:
I found a few pictures on the web,this one of a 22 ref conn that shows the cabinet to be well stuffed. I know that it's the same behind the woofer but I can't say exactly how well the area below the woofer towords the stand and tuned port area,are stuffed. The pair I own are not as stuffed in the stand area,but,do have a good amount nonetheless.
A word of advice,do not install the foam trim ring covers until you are satisfied with your final result. They are fragile and I am not sure of where to find new ones.
Good luck.

In regards to the foam ring trim, I have a template to cut these out to size along with the proper material. If anyone needs them, PM me. Can also do the woofer.

Marc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:10 am 

Thanks for that info and good to know. How much are you asking for 2 tweeters and 2 woofers trim rings?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:40 am 

timarcc wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
I found a few pictures on the web,this one of a 22 ref conn that shows the cabinet to be well stuffed. I know that it's the same behind the woofer but I can't say exactly how well the area below the woofer towords the stand and tuned port area,are stuffed. The pair I own are not as stuffed in the stand area,but,do have a good amount nonetheless.
A word of advice,do not install the foam trim ring covers until you are satisfied with your final result. They are fragile and I am not sure of where to find new ones.
Good luck.

In regards to the foam ring trim, I have a template to cut these out to size along with the proper material. If anyone needs them, PM me. Can also do the woofer.

Marc

Sorry I never did get back to you on those rings, had unexpected financial priorities pop up. Your rings fit and stick very well, I ripped one trying to peel it up over the screws, so it had to be totally removed...in about 10 pieces :)

Edit: make sure you have a strip of masking tape over the voice cool leads before sticking the trim ring on or you may end up yanking the leads out if you ever remove the ring.

Last edited by mikeybc on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:45 am 

joe mandel wrote:
Thanks for that info and good to know. How much are you asking for 2 tweeters and 2 woofers trim rings?

$10+$2 for shipping

mikeybc wrote:
timarcc wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
Good luck.

Marc

Sorry I never did get back to you on those rings, had unexpected financial priorities pop up. Your rings fit and stick very well, I ripped one trying to peel it up over the screws, so it had to be totally removed...in about 10 pieces :)

No worries Mickey...you can always contact me if you need them again

Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:02 am 

Hi Tim,you have a pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next