Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 am 

I'm doing some very basic cleaning, dusting and lubricating of an otherwise decent condition and functioning AKAI GX-260D. One internal part appears cosmetically questionable. I'm attaching a photo. Perhaps someone is able to tell me if the part should look like this?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
260D part.jpg
260D part.jpg [ 310.81 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 am 
Premium User

Coil appears discoloured but that may be normal for a aged factory coating or signs that it has overheated.

The fact that the deck is still functioning indicates that the solenoid is still functioning.
Try the "smell" test to find out if it has indeed been overheated. :roll:
Check with as VOM meter but I doubt if anything will show up as to what is a normal or abnormal reading
(open coil or shorted coil)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Thanks for the tips. For the smell test, would I do that after the deck has been powered up for an hour, or am I just checking for a general 'BBQ' smell on or off?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The fabric tape on the coil looks original and it is very doubtful that it would 'burn away' or melt away in a pattern like that.

Meaning, it is probably ok. Probably. Looks abnormal but it may have been assembled with the fabric tape being a bit off, on this specific example..

The tape is there to stop the coil from buzzing and to protect the enameled wire from possible damage where the coating gets scraped away in install, service, or handling.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 pm 

Very much appreciate the replies. That part does not seem to have any odour beyond a generic old electronics smell, and I cannot see any other components that are visibly questionable inside this unit.

I have vacuumed and blown off all the loose dust I can easily access. There is still a residual thin layer of dust on a couple of the lower circuit boards that is impossible to reach without further dis-assembly, but I assume that is fine to leave. I will add some contact cleaner to the rear I/O components, and then should be good to roll.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 pm 

Hi endlessreverb,
Yes, just leave the hard to get at places.

Use caution with any spray cleaners of any description. If you get some inside a trimmer capacitor, the capacitor will need to be replaced and adjusted properly. You don't need that grief.

The solenoid looks fine as you know. Overheated coils, transformers and solenoids will have a sweet-burnt odor that you will remember if you ever smell it.

Check the amount of play in the capstan bearing. Check it in line with the pressure applied by the pinch roller, and 90° to that direction. You are looking for any difference in play (not in and out. Side to side). If the bearing is worn, you need it replaced, or the deck is scrap. One thing to look for is slight edge damage on the tape edge closest the mechanism. A worn bearing will draw the tape towards the chassis. If you hit play and the highs come in, go out and come in again, the bearing has wear and could possibly be damaging the tape.

The capstan bearing is the critical part of the deck that is a no-go if there is anything wrong with it. Good techs should be checking for a bad bearing early in their assessment before you get an estimate. I used to check that right on the counter as the piece was brought in.

-Chris