Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm 

Attachment:
20170814_214932_Film1.jpg
20170814_214932_Film1.jpg [ 281.52 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]
Ok so not being able to find an assembled crossover to go in my paradigm phantom v1 speakers I went about tearing them down. Was surprised to see that the woofer and tweeter were in such good shape for speakers almost 30 years old! however that being said it has a very puny crossover network( would really like to replace it with an upgraded one), however for now I'm gonna try and replace the capacitor (1), and was wondering if the resistor (1) should also be replaced? not sure how to go about ordering a replacement for the resistor. It has a number on the side (7w2r7). from what I understand the 2r7 stands for 2.7 ohms. But what does 7w stand for and can I just order a generic resistor or do I have to order the same material that this one is made of. from the places ive looked so far there is no exact replacement for this old resistor(maybe I just haven't looked in the right place) but that's my dilemma at this moment. I have included closeup of the resistor. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks bob.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm 

You can use a 10W or 12W resistor (Mills). Either wire wound, like the one shown, or MOX (Metal oxide- typically green).

Looks a lot like the Titan "crossover", which is only a high pass and pad for the tweeter, meaning it depends on the natural roll-off of the woofer.

Be careful whether the resistor is in series or parallel to the tweeter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm 

tks ngjockey. I'm kinda new to the electronics side of audio. how do I tell if its in series or parallel? I'm learning as I go and on a pair of speakers I paid very little for so I wont be too disappointed if I mess them up a bit. but someone once told me any question is a good question so I had to ask lol. thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:23 pm 

The 3.6 is series. The 3.9 is parallel. Both combined are called an L-pad.

Attachments:
resist.jpg
resist.jpg [ 13.41 KiB | Viewed 1068 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 am 

Tks again. Ill check it out after work to see which one it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 am 

Hi there, I have done some crossover rebuilds and experimenting over the years, and would definitely recommend better quality components for the series capacitor and resistor. The 3.9 ohm resistor across the tweeter is less important in terms of sound quality IMO but I am no technician. I don't know how picky you are about sound, but I heard every 'upgrade' I made on series crossover components on tweeters. Green resistors - good, Mundorf wire wound resistor - better, Dueland carbon resistor - wow!. Capacitors the same, but they get stupid expensive for the best sounding ones. Clarity Cap ESA seemed like a decent compromise, but still can get pricey depending on your budget.

PartsConnexion in Ontario, Madisound in the USA for audiophile parts. Mouser for commodity parts. Others may have good suggestions for parts sources as well. Happy listening!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:40 pm 

thanks mission66 I'm still a bit unsure of the resistor as yet so for now I'm just going to do the cap and see if it makes much of a difference. and yes I was hoping to get a little better sound from the high end on this speaker. I'm going to add some sound deadening material on the interior of the speaker and maybe even a foam plug in the port to tighten up the bass a little. anyway its becoming a fun project cant wait to hear if the changes make much of a difference. thanks again for the info. bob.