Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:37 pm 

Albert wrote:
I have heard of sandbox stands for turntables but I haven't heard of one for amp stands. I am sure it would work even with 350 lb of amps on it.

Adding an extra layer between the two shelves shouldn't be that difficult as I am planning on painting it anyway. I was in a hurry in Winnipeg yesterday so I only made it to home depot. I couldn't find baltic birch so I got 18 mm g1s fir plywood instead. I know it has voids but since it is going to be sandwiched between two pieces of mdf it should still work. Maybe not as well as baltic birch but I am not making speaker cabinets, it should be fine for my amp stand. If I ever get around to making a tuba ht horn sub, I will definitely use baltic birch plywood.

It will work great.
Simple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 pm 

After a short vacation I decided to work on my amp stand. The two layers of mdf were glued together after all so I had to put the plywood layer on top and bottom with glue. Then after filling a few blemishes with plastic wood I was ready to paint it the next day. It is a heavy sucker so I was unable to lift it so with Misty's help I was able to wheel the stand outside on the porch for painting. I didn't want to do it inside for fear of having a bunch of black paint cat tracks all over the house. Plus I didn't want to smell the paint in the house.

Here are a few pics of the stand in progress. After it dries completely I am going to cover the threaded rods with the foam tubes that you use to keep copper pipes from sweating. This should protect the amps heat sinks from possible dings when putting them back on the stand and hopefully the look will be similar to the pipes on my Sanus audio stands.

Attachment:
amp stand1.jpg
amp stand1.jpg [ 805.69 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

Attachment:
amp stand2.jpg
amp stand2.jpg [ 780.32 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

Attachment:
misty1.jpg
misty1.jpg [ 818.61 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 pm 

Looks good....way to go Misty!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 am 

Thanks cat9. Here is a last pic with the rubber pipe insulation tubes on the threaded rod. I painted the shelves a dark grey to go with the color of these tubes and to offset the darker black of the amps. Loaded the amp stand bottom shelf is still a half inch above the carpet even though it looks like it is bottoming out. Not perfect but it matches the other stands better and the thicker (2") shelves should help absorb vibrations better for the tube amps.

Attachment:
upgraded stand2.jpg
upgraded stand2.jpg [ 905.96 KiB | Viewed 322 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 am 

Albert wrote:
After it dries completely I am going to cover the threaded rods with the foam tubes that you use to keep copper pipes from sweating. This should protect the amps heat sinks from possible dings when putting them back on the stand and hopefully the look will be similar to the pipes on my Sanus audio stands.

That's a really good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm 

Looks great Albert!!

Must sound pretty darn nice in there!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:46 am 

Good stuff. I like the 5 legged approach to maximize strength and access to the gear.

It looks good, and it will no doubt last a lifetime!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 am 

Thanks everyone, it is always satisfying to complete a project. The darker color also works well in my ht setup. Perhaps I'll get around to making a tuba ht sub next. I already bought the plans a number of years ago. I have a spare Bryston 2B LP to power it and a Marchand electronic crossover.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:14 am 

Double BB ply 32 mm would be a good choice, strong, looks beautiful. I like leaving ply edges visible. After progressively sanding down to a finishing state hand rub Danish oil.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm 

You are far more ambitious than me, I'm still building. I love the pipe insulation idea :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 am 

Thanks, I got the pipe insulation idea off of the internet. It actually matches the pipes on my Sanus stands fairly well and it prevents the amps from scraping on the threaded rods.